Sign in to follow this  
Shanbec

FSX Freezing Again and Again Mid Flight

So I was about two hours into my flight, about 160nm off of the top of descent, and my sim begins to freeze. I would freeze for about 30 seconds, continue for 5 seconds, freeze again for 30 seconds and so on... Even when in the menus such as the controls menu or the settings menu in flight it would freeze like this, the whole program just kept doing this cycle. I had to quit the simulation in the end. Please note, it never crashed, no matter what I tried to do, it never crashed, just froze. I have a feeling someone might mention VAS to me, but I'll wait for the replies. Is there anything I can configure to stop this from happening in the future? Do I need to further tone down my scenery and other settings to save on VAS? I don't use much scenery at all, only UK2000 for the departure airport on this occasion, using the PMDG 737NGX, FS2Crew, and PRO-ATC/X. My computer isn't fantastic, but I'm guessing it doesn't have much to do with the specs of my computer?

Anyway, thanks for your help/

It's probably VAS related. Normally, you'd also see a "Your computer has run out of available memory" popup.

Also check if any bad scenery add-on may have entered the player bubble (80nm around current position).

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Also check if you are using a registered FSUIPC that you have not set Auto-Save on.

It was only another suggestion. No harm in checking. If it is not that, then it's one less to eliminate. Not likely to be VAS as you have pointed out that message would have flagged up.

• Upvote 1

Any other apps running concurrently, e.g., virus scanner, defragmenter, scheduled back-up, etc? Before I start FSX I reboot and then quit all background apps that could suck processor and/or memory resources while I'm flying.

- Jev McKee, AVSIM member since 2006.
Specs: i7-2600K oc to 4.7GHz, 8GB, GTX580-1.5GB, 512GB SSD, Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, FSX-Acceleration 

Is your affinity mask set correctly for your cpu? Strangely enough, I had a similar issue and by using the Easy option from this site and transferring the corresponding value to my fsx.cfg file solved the problem. 

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

On 8/16/2017 at 9:28 PM, Bjoern said:

It's probably VAS related. Normally, you'd also see a "Your computer has run out of available memory" popup.

Also check if any bad scenery add-on may have entered the player bubble (80nm around current position).

No add-on scenery anywhere near the aircraft at the time.

On 8/16/2017 at 9:41 PM, vc10man said:

Also check if you are using a registered FSUIPC that you have not set Auto-Save on.

I'm using unregistered FSUIPC.

On 8/16/2017 at 11:26 PM, coa1117 said:

Any other apps running concurrently, e.g., virus scanner, defragmenter, scheduled back-up, etc? Before I start FSX I reboot and then quit all background apps that could suck processor and/or memory resources while I'm flying.

The only other things I had running was PRO-ATC/X and FSXWX. I feel like FSXWX (freeware weather engine) may have had something to do with it as when I looked at the log after the flight, there were many weird messages I'm not used to seeing after a flight.

On 8/17/2017 at 0:18 AM, speedyTC said:

Is your affinity mask set correctly for your cpu? Strangely enough, I had a similar issue and by using the Easy option from this site and transferring the corresponding value to my fsx.cfg file solved the problem. 

I'm not sure what this is.

10 hours ago, Shanbec said:

I'm not sure what this is.

From the website I linked:

"An affinity mask is a bit mask indicating which CPU Core a process should be run on by the scheduler of an operating system. Setting the affinity mask for FSX/P3D declassifies its default use of CPU cores, which can lead to better application performance."

If you read through the site you will get a better understanding as to how it all works. Check your .cfg file to see if Affinity is set, under [JobScheduler]. If there is no such entry you can easily create it and add the suggested mask for your CPU. Don't forget to make a back-up of your config file first before you make any changes!

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

First of all, I strongly recommend downloading and running the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide.  Recently updated.  It has Affinity Mask information and I personally do not recommend this tweak.  It will not lead to better application performance and we have more CTD's in this forum related to the Affinity Mask than many other types of CTD's/Freezes.  The guide contains suggested settings.

Not sure why you have FSXWX installed.  The default program works just as well if not better.  It has been the cause of CTD's and freezes in the past.  Hopefully you removed it to see if it was the cause (part of your investigation as to the cause).

The AVSIM CTD Guide provides some suggested reasons for freezes while loading FSX and during the flight.  I found them across the Internet at various FS websites and they fixed the problem for some users.  The guide also has a section on page 10 on how to fix most CTD's and Freezes in FSX.

The links to the guides are in my signature or on the right sidebar under Hot Spots.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

On 8/18/2017 at 3:28 PM, Shanbec said:

The only other things I had running was PRO-ATC/X and FSXWX. I feel like FSXWX (freeware weather engine) may have had something to do with it as when I looked at the log after the flight, there were many weird messages I'm not used to seeing after a flight.

Now that you throw FSXWX into the mix, I can confirm that I've experienced the same crashes.

I think they might be related to hiccups with the GRIB servers from which FSXWX is pulling its weather data. If FSXWX refuses to work, I use FSRealWX. It might be feature limited in the free version, but it's the only alternative.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days