Tanguy SEHA

First steps in VR with the Rift

Good morning guys

I just received my Oculus Rift yesterday, unfortunately I didn't have a lot of time to setup and test it, but I did the basics, tried to launch P3D V4, and a this moment, on the Headset I just saw that P3D V4 is taking a long time to load and nothing else

is there an option that I forget to tick on the P3D menu to activate the VR? Or do I just have to launch P3D with the headset on my head?

any help is apreciated 

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Yes right click on screen and select virtual cockpit, also v r. From list wa la that should do it.

Yes that is the way to do it, when in the sim right click on the screen and scroll down to Virtual Reality and choose VR Virtual cockpit. You might want to setup some things in the cockpit first that will be more difficult to do when in the VR cockpit. Fortunately there is a program soon to be released called Flyinside for P3Dv4 that will help with VR cockpit settings.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, warbirds said:

Yes that is the way to do it, when in the sim right click on the screen and scroll down to Virtual Reality and choose VR Virtual cockpit. You might want to setup some things in the cockpit first that will be more difficult to do when in the VR cockpit. Fortunately there is a program soon to be released called Flyinside for P3Dv4 that will help with VR cockpit settings.

It sounds like they are making good progress with the 64 bit version of Flyinside based on their blog.

I got the $400 Rift bundle from Amazon that includes the hand controllers. I've only used them so far in the demo "laboratory" that's part of the Rift setup program, and was blown away by the ability to "see" ones own hands in the virtual word, and to interact with things, pick up and move objects etc. Those controllers would be very nice to use in an aircraft VC!

It's very easy to lose track of where you actually are in the physical world while wearing the Rift headset though. While practicing using the hand controllers to reach forward and "touch" something in the demo, I almost ended up pushing my 4K monitor off of the computer desk😳

Thank you

Just tried now the Vr, both in P3D V4 and XP11 but is it normal that it seems a lot less FPS in P3D than in XP?? Otherwise it looks good, I still just don't know how to setup the view, I feel like I'm too far from the glass

14 hours ago, Tanguy SEHA said:

Good morning guys

I just received my Oculus Rift yesterday, unfortunately I didn't have a lot of time to setup and test it, but I did the basics, tried to launch P3D V4, and a this moment, on the Headset I just saw that P3D V4 is taking a long time to load and nothing else

is there an option that I forget to tick on the P3D menu to activate the VR? Or do I just have to launch P3D with the headset on my head?

any help is apreciated 

I have FI for both XP and P3Dv3. The best VR right now is in AeroFly2. Hands down. There is a thread devoted to VR further up in the forum. Lots of troubleshooting and tips there.

I find the performance/experience in XP11 much better than P3D. Of course, that will change once Flyinside is released for P3Dv4.

While AF2 is very good in terms of performance, it cannot be considered (at the moment) a viable option for the more hardcore simmer.