Sign in to follow this  
oemlegoem

Building yoke: what functions needed in the yoke handle?

Hallo

I am building my own yoke. At the moment, I am considering what control functions to build in the yoke handle: To start, I can think of:
- POV hat switch
- pitch trim
- roll trim
- yaw trim

What control functions would you consider necessary and desirable to build in? Looking forward to hear your view.

FlyHirundo Rudder Pedal and Yoke
Designed and manufactured in Switzerland

Email: info@flyhirundo.com

oemlegoem

I am a little mystified by this post. 

Obviously, you are new to the game and if you are not trolling I think you need to think about what aircraft you are flying. For instance jets I find, require a TO/GA switch and I find an autopilot cutout is very handy I also have my Saitek yoke set up for the fs2crew copilot and outside comms. Not really necessary for GA and/or light aircraft. 

I believe that, if you have the skills and equipment for this task, you may well be looking at jets in the future.

However, as long as all your buttons and switches are programmable, all of the above is irrelevant. all you need is the required amount of switches and, if possible, maybe two hat switches would be handy.

I would personally give it a great deal of thought because I believe it would probably be impractical to upgrade if you wanted to add more switches. This however, is beyond my area of expertise.

This then leads to my mystification and befuddlement.  My first thought was "is this a yoke ..... err Joke?"  I mean no disrespect LOL

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

hallo Tony,

Thanks for the feedback. You are right, I forgot to mention the target. My interest is GA and light aircraft. Now using Twin Otter, Kodiak, DHC-3, PC-6 etc.

I bought all the material to make the yoke, including the yoke handle, but not yet the switches. I am flexible, and can add controls at a later stage. But I would like to get it right from the beginning.
Push buttons and toggle switches are flexible, and only need a mounting hole around 6mm diameter. For the trimmers, I am thinking of rotary encoders, requiring a special mounting. POV hat switches also require a special mounting.

Hence my question what functions are necessary, and what functions are desirable. Because I have only one yoke handle. And once I make a cutout, then there is no going back.

FlyHirundo Rudder Pedal and Yoke
Designed and manufactured in Switzerland

Email: info@flyhirundo.com

My advice is to look at various real aircraft yoke images and pick the one you like. As for buttons and switches,

one item that is a must is a POV 4 way button for viewing. I consider this button the most difficult to implement in the construction of a yoke. Of course, you can always find used joysticks and take out the hat switch as well as buttons.

Also the type of switches make a big difference in look and feel.

tony

In addition to the above ideas, I find a switch for flaps and a push to talk switch handy.

Al