Sign in to follow this  
Rhinozherous

Differences of the Versions

Hello!

We have now 7 versions of the 747... this is absolute awesome! But I lost the overview a bit. I searched in the introduction PDF and the FCOM, but I could not find a comprehensive overview over the version specifications (PAX number, max cargo....) we get from PMDG. I find a ton of informations about the real world 747, but this is useless because I dont know which configuration PMDG choosed to model. Can you help me?

400 BCF

400 D

400 ER

400 ERF

400 F

400 M

Thank you!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I think he would like to know the differences or specifications between/of each of the versions we got...

I think Boeing was less enthusiastic to license distribution of B744 documentation than had been with the B77X and NGX products. We ended up with a bare minimum and again, just my guessing, we could have had more but at a pretty steep price.  Wikipedia is a good place to look first for the differences.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ephedrin said:

I think he would like to know the differences or specifications between/of each of the versions we got...

Yup, this was the intend. How much passengers and so on... I think I will load each Version and write it down from the load menu in the fmc.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Rhinozherous said:

Yup, this was the intend. How much passengers and so on... I think I will load each Version and write it down from the load menu in the fmc.

I think they used the typical seating configuration for the passenger variants, so 416 for the -400 in a typical three-class configuration. I'm guessing the same for the -400ER. Not sure about the -400D. The Boeing documentation seems to indicate 266 plus 7 pallets for the -400M. Best way to know for sure is checking the payload section of the FMC since it'll tell you how many passengers you can seat in first, business, and economy.

• Upvote 1

As downscc mentioned, wikipedia is a pretty good place to start but here is what I know: 

747-400 - this is the base model, standard max take-off weight (MTOW), standard seating anywhere from 300ish to over 400 depending on the airline and standard fuel capacity. 

747-400BCF - this is a base model that was converted into a freighter. Same MTOW, same fuel capacity, same everything just with cargo and no passengers. (visual difference from base: no windows, and main level cargo door)

747-400D - this aircraft was designed specifically for the Japanese market, it is a base 747-400 with a reduced MTOW. As most airports charge based on MTOW, this aircraft was cheaper as a people hauler from Tokyo to Sapporo where it didn't need the range. (visual difference: No winglets)

747-400ER - this aircraft was designed to operate MEL-LAX almost exclusively for Qantas. It is similar to the base model but with a higher MTOW and additional fuel tank in the tail. (Visual Difference: Larger wheels I think is the only thing you can see)

747-400ERF - this is the same as the 400ER just for freight so it has the shorter hump. (Visual Difference: No windows, shorter hump, nose cargo door, and main level cargo door, and once again, larger wheels)

747-400F - this is the freighter version of the base model. Visually very similar to the 400ERF but without the extra MTOW and fuel tanks (Visual difference: Same as 400ERF just no big wheels)

747-400M - this is the combi version, designed for KLM I believe but used by a few airlines. It looks just like the base model but it has a main level cargo door and has a significantly lower seating capacity but has more cargo hauling ability. 

I think that about sums it up. 

• Upvote 3

Here it is - ocjr I used your descriptions because they are awesome!

ALL WEIGHTS IN KILOGRAMS!

747-400
this is the base model, standard max take-off weight (MTOW), standard seating anywhere from
300ish to over 400 depending on the airline and standard fuel capacity.

UPR BUS – 42
MAIN BUS – 56
MAIN ECON – 322
TOTAL PAX – 420

FWD/AFT CARGO – 14.633/12.823
BULK CARGO – 2.713
MAX FUEL – 173.036

747-400BCF
this is a base model that was converted into a freighter. Same MTOW, same fuel capacity, same
everything just with cargo and no passengers. (visual difference from base: no windows, and main
level cargo door)

MAIN DK CARGO – 80.882
FWD CARGO – 11.863
AFT CARGO – 12.941
BULK CARGO – 2.156
TOTAL CARGO – 107.842

MAX FUEL – 163.676

747-400D
this aircraft was designed specifically for the Japanese market, it is a base 747-400 with a reduced
MTOW. As most airports charge based on MTOW, this aircraft was cheaper as a people hauler from
Tokyo to Sapporo where it didn't need the range. (visual difference: No winglets)

UPR ECON - 85
MAIN ECON – 539
TOTAL PAX – 624

FWD/AFT CARGO – 2.792/2.447
BULK CARGO – 518

MAX FUEL – 163.008

747-400ER
this aircraft was designed to operate MEL-LAX almost exclusively for Qantas. It is similar to the base
model but with a higher MTOW and additional fuel tank in the tail. (Visual Difference: Larger wheels I
think is the only thing you can see)

UPR BUS – 40
MAIN 1 BUS – 61
MAIN ECON – 315
TOTAL PAX – 416

FWS/AFT CARGO – 14.736/12.913
BULK CARGO – 2.732

MAX FUEL – 182.739

747-400ERF
this is the same as the 400ER just for freight so it has the shorter hump. (Visual Difference: No
windows, shorter hump, nose cargo door, and main level cargo door, and once again, larger wheels)

MAIN DK CARGO – 84.573
FWD CARGO – 12.404
AFT CARGO – 13.532
BULK CARGO – 2.254
TOTAL CARGO – 112.763

MAX FUEL – 163.008

747-400F
this is the freighter version of the base model. Visually very similar to the 400ERF but without the
extra MTOW and fuel tanks (Visual difference: Same as 400ERF just no big wheels)

MAIN DK CARGO – 92.208
FWD CARGO – 13.524
AFT CARGO – 14.754
BULK CARGO – 2.458
TOTAL CARGO – 122.944

MAX FUEL – 163.676

747-400M
this is the combi version, designed for KLM I believe but used by a few airlines. It looks just like the
base model but it has a main level cargo door and has a significantly lower seating capacity but has
more cargo hauling ability.

UPR BUS – 42
MAIN PASS – 224
TOTAL PAX – 266

MAIN CARGO – 13.621
FWD/AFT CARGO – 17.645/15.462
BULK CARGO – 3.271

TOTAL CARGO – 49.999

MAX FUEL – 173.036

• Upvote 2