Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Performance through the floor!

40 minutes ago, SteveW said:

You did "Restore/Apply" on all the profiles fully?

First - I should have said it is important that if you had a greyed-out "Restore" because it's not been edited then you should make any change, apply that so as to enable the greyed out button due to having been edited and then do the  "Restore/Apply".

Seems not to make sense but I can see that it does. Also remember that anything can happen to an unedited profile too. Changing drivers and not doing that can and does result in the problems you described.

Even so, still might not work:

If you have multiple screens, try reducing to only the main screen and repeat the above. Then see if you can undock the panel without dramatic loss of fps.

Regarding AMs it will work the same irrespective of core or LP count. The issue is regarding the way the undocked panel alters the desktop vsync and distributes work unevenly, giving rise to your condition of not fully utilising the CPU/GPU. It could be a Windows desktop issue and require resetting in some way regarding desktop vsync (not to be mistaken for P3D VSync).

Yes I did restore/apply (restore was in green).

I don't run multiple screens just a single 28" 4k monitor. 

Your right changing AM's did nothing to fix the problem, just changed the load to another core. 

In regards to "desktop vsync" I have no idea how to reset it for win 10 and a google search hasn't helped.

Have you got a smaller res monitor? You could try setting that up and so on, see if it's OK, then reconnect your proper monitor.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

26 minutes ago, SteveW said:

Have you got a smaller res monitor? You could try setting that up and so on, see if it's OK, then reconnect your proper monitor.

I just tried that too, getting the same problem. 

I can live with it. Apart from this issue the sim is very smooth with the odd stutter here and there. I just don't undock panels or open popup windows during critical phases of flight.

OK. I will bear this in mind. The last time I saw this issue, it was repaired with the NVidia profiles force restored. Keep in mind it might resolve with a later driver update, so don't forget to force the restore after updates.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, SteveW said:

OK. I will bear this in mind. The last time I saw this issue, it was repaired with the NVidia profiles force restored. Keep in mind it might resolve with a later driver update, so don't forget to force the restore after updates.

Will do. Thanks for your assistance.

• Upvote 1

Any time Branko, you're welcome.

Regards

Steve

...By the way to be clear I've been talking about undocking say for example the GPS in the stock B58 or any regular aircraft and seeing the halved fps. I'm not talking about perhaps an issue specific to a particular aircraft with perhaps a third party add-in display or control. Check this by undocking a stock aircraft panel or gauge. 

44 minutes ago, SteveW said:

...By the way to be clear I've been talking about undocking say for example the GPS in the stock B58 or any regular aircraft and seeing the halved fps. I'm not talking about perhaps an issue specific to a particular aircraft with perhaps a third party add-in display or control. Check this by undocking a stock aircraft panel or gauge. 

I don't use stock aircraft, so I now did try it with stock aircraft and the result was the same as the third party add one, in that the fps halved when undocking gauges.

Strangely enough what I was now able to confirm is that once I undocked a gauge the first time, my FPS halved. Then if I undocked the same gauge again I would not loose FPS. If I undock a different gauge, FPS halved. 

So it appears once I undock a gauge once, any subsequent time I undock the same gauge, I don't drop in FPS (this is for third party and default aircraft). I find this very strange but at least it's not as bad as I originally thought.

You mean performance jumps back to normal after undocking the second time so long as it is the same panel? If you hadn't noticed before that's likely a clue of some kind, possibly the result of tinkering with the monitor and NCP. I will check that next time I encounter it. My own main system has exhibited the behaviour in the past.

Is there anyone else with similar experiences, or knows a possible fix? Could be helpful for us to hear about at this stage...

10 minutes ago, SteveW said:

You mean performance jumps back to normal after undocking the second time so long as it is the same panel? 

Correct. 

On 10/4/2017 at 4:12 AM, onurair said:

Then I had an idea and tried custom resolutions. So if we take 90% of 4k (3840x2160) we get 3456x1944. Once I set this resolution in the sim, my performace and smoothness was like never before. And you almost can't see any difference in texture quality compared to native 4k. Even with dynamic lighting on I had 20fps which was around 10 with native 4k.

How were you able to set this custom resolution in the sim?  It's not one of the choices I have available. 

ASUS TUF Gaming Z690-Plus ▪︎ Intel i9-12900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 4090Ti ▪︎ 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo ▪︎ Windows 11 Home ▪︎ 3x Western Digital Black SN850 2TB NVME SSD ▪︎  ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair HX1000 Platinum PSU ▪︎ Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Case

17 minutes ago, richbonneau said:

How were you able to set this custom resolution in the sim?  It's not one of the choices I have available. 

Have a look here: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

download and install CRU 1.3 it's really simple.  

Btw. the newest Nvidia driver which was released today seems to be causing stutters and lower fps than the 385.69... at least on my system

I just now realized that this was a problem for me too playing with 4.2. I just found another workaround. I enabled my internal cpu gpu and connected my second monitor in the motherboard. That solved the performance impact.

Vincent Rouleau

AMD Ryzen 7950X3d / 32.0GB G.SKILL Neo DDR5 6000 / Gigabyte  GeForce® RTX 4080 16Gig / / Samsung C49RG9 49' /ASUS  PB287QQ ‑ 27" UHD / AGAMMIX 2TB / Samsung 970 PRO 1TB /  PNY SSD 1TB / Windows 11 / Gigabyte B650M Elite Motherboard