Sign in to follow this  
warbirds

GTN 750 for v4.1?

38 minutes ago, rod321 said:

Million dollar question. Is this super addon GTN 750(-650) COMPATIBLE WITH P3D V4.1?

Working for me ok Rod. I just make sure its running on all cores otherwise its a bit sluggish on my set up.

Garmin  Trainet software  6.21

Flight1 GTN complete 750/650 ver 2.04

bob 

Hi Simbol and OneBob,

Thank you AGAIN for helping me. You've re-woken a smidgen of confidence regarding GTN 750. I note your comment that GTN 750 is CPU demanding. At the foot of this post I've had a go at describing my new PC specs from my Computer supplier in the Midlands, UK. I've just copied details from their invoice to me.

1. At the moment I'm going to plod on with a set number of trials of just 'default setting P3D' with A2A planes only i.e. P3D default scenery. (No Bullguard antivirus)

2. IF that goes OK, and because of your advice, I will again install GTN750 4.02 (I've got the correct version) and Garmin Trainer 6.21 (previously I didn't know its version)

3. THEN, IF GTN750 works fine (i.e. no CTD) FOR ANOTHER SET OF FLIGHTS, I will reinstall ORBX (which has ObjectFlow addon) (global, libraries, Europe/UK nations and airports) Previously I upped the settings as below. BUT THIS TIIME I'm going to leave P3D at its default settings.

***So, dear Pilots, here's my NEW question: Looking at the higher ORBX recommended settings on the right, compared to the P3D defaults, do you think any other these higher ORBX settings could have been triggering my CTD, EVEN WHEN GTN 750 HAD BEEN PREVIOUSLY UNINSTALLED (maybe wrongly "blamed")?***

I genuinely appreciate your wisdom and time,

Rod

INCREASED P3D SETTINGS/DEMANDS USING ORBX GUIDELINES

(ref ORBX Quick Reference Simulator Settings)

DEFAULT P3D SETTING                                                                  ORBX GUIDELINE HIGHER SETTING

=0%                                             Traffic/GA traffic density                                 =16%                         

=0%                                                Traffic/Road Vehicles                                     =16%

( = High                                          World/Level of Detail Radius                          = High)

= 1m                                            World/Texture Resolution                              = 7cm                  

AND  ticked box ‘use high                   

resolution terrain textures’

=19m                                             World/Mesh resolution                                     =5m

Normal                                        World/Scenery Complexity                          Extremely Dense

(= Normal                                         Autogen Density                                              = Normal)

My system specs are:

Processor:      i7 7700K      4.2.GHz  8MB       Not Overclocked

Memory:      16GB (4x4GB)  2400MHz  DDR4

Graphics:  GTX 1080 G1   8GB

5 minutes ago, rod321 said:

Hi Simbol and OneBob,

2. IF that goes OK, and because of your advice, I will again install GTN750 4.02 (I've got the correct version) and Garmin Trainer 6.21 (previously I didn't know its version)

Rod,

You need to upgrade to GTN complete ver 2.04 as this version is compatible with P3D V4.1, this might be the cause of your CTD.

Your PC specs are very good and it should be able to handle P3D very well.

Best Regards,

Simbol

Thanks Simbol

I did have the correct GTN 750 version i.e. 2.04

In my message above, I just wrote it wrongly as 4.02! 

A "senior moment", ha .... neither the first nor last, (hopefully).

The thrust of my question above was asking if the higher ORBX settings might be triggering these CTDs (??maybe in combination with the demands made by GTN 750?? maybe not)).

Any ideas Simbol?

44 minutes ago, rod321 said:

Thanks Simbol

I did have the correct GTN 750 version i.e. 2.04

In my message above, I just wrote it wrongly as 4.02! 

A "senior moment", ha .... neither the first nor last, (hopefully).

The thrust of my question above was asking if the higher ORBX settings might be triggering these CTDs (??maybe in combination with the demands made by GTN 750?? maybe not)).

Any ideas Simbol?

Yes it could be, try running with less demanding settings and see if your CTD are reduced.

If you get another CTD go to event viewer and post the result on the main  CTD forums where @Jim Young might be able to help you further as he has a vast experience with CTD troubleshooting.

Best Regards,
Simbol

Thank you Simbol and other Pilots

I've immediately taken your advice; in advance of reinstalling ORBX. I will (always) remain at the (lower) P3D default settings. And, those settings are consistent with a document I've printed out: 'AVSIM Prepar3D Guide'. (Did Jim Young write this?) 

One inconsistency I could see between P3D Defaults and the above AVSIM guide relates to the setting for GRAPHICS/FRAME RATE CONTROLS:

Lockheed Martins default setting is:        VSync = OFF   

Whereas AVSIM Prepar3D Guide suggests:   VSync = ON (and the box is ticked for 'Triple Buffering')

1. QUESTION: Which is the most appropriate one to select? i.e. lowering CTD risk on my PC 

Thank you for your advice to contact Jim if CTDs reappear. Hope he can tolerate my low IT-savvy rating! For instance, I don't know how I would save the relevant stuff in Event Viewer. (I also have software by NirSoft 'Bluescreen viewer; this any use?).

2. IF YOU HAVE THE TIME:  please instruct me how to work Event Viewer with the purpose of sending Jim a CTD event 

3 minutes ago, rod321 said:

2. IF YOU HAVE THE TIME:  please instruct me how to work Event Viewer with the purpose of sending Jim a CTD event 

Click the start menu and search for event viewer, a window similar to the one below will be displayed.

P3D CTDs will be displayed as Application Errors, fnd the latest one related to P3D so you can copy and paste the information on the CTD forum

UnVC7Pv.png

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Simbol

Hi Simbol

yup I opened up Event viewer/Windows Logs/Application/Source/Application Error

Thank you. Now I know where to look come the next slimy CTD.

Did you have any views on VSync ON or OFF?

Rod

3 hours ago, rod321 said:

Did you have any views on VSync ON or OFF?

Rod

Should not matter.. Start with off, but frankly should not cause problems either way.

Your system should be able to handle both Orbx scenery and the Flight1 GTN 750 just fine.

Bert

Hi Bert

I did reply immediately, at length, to your kind message. My privilege to chat to such a valued person. 

But maybe my original message has not been processed? Not seeing it listed, I've written this brief and safe message.

Thank you for your advice Bert; gratefully received and followed of course. 

Did you see the P3D V4 Compatibility list from Aerosoft?

I'm off for "a pint or two"!

Best wishes 

Rod

Birmingham, UK

Hi Onebob, Simbol and Bert and all fellow pilots

GREAT NEWS! just to update you, not a CTD or BSOD explosion in sight for the last half dozen flights (maybe slightly too early to do the open-bus tour around Birmingham City Centre; you'd get really soaked today!) Each of you have given me advice and I've used it all. I've learned a lot, which has been most enjoyable. (Also on the CTD forum these are AVSIM guidelines for managing CTD).

What have I done? I've believed Aerosoft's compatibility list and just installed Alabeo's Seminole and Conquest and Just Flight's Arrows. And I completely trust A2A's brilliant hangar, of course. I've gone back to P3D default settings (then upped one notch: scenery complexity, autogen density, water detail, cloud density). P3D's scenery is satisfying (except individual smaller airport detail). Realised that I also genuinely enjoy the older G400-style etc navigation aid.

Didn't have the confidence to reinstall Orbx (global, libraries, europe, specific airports) or F1 GTN 750.

Motto for effectiveness (just like football): "keep it classic, keep it simple!"

"THANK YOU AVSIM". Thank you for being so patient and enthusiastic.

Best wishes,

Rod, UK

• Upvote 1

Bert, you're a mind reader too!

Yes I am prepared to "keep it simple" but on the other hand I don't want to reject a false negative and unnecessarily miss out on either of these great products; the F1 GTN 750 or ORBX global.

The question is which one do I test first? (Test means running for the next say 10 flights (because of the intermittent incidence of my CTD which can be 1 in 2 to 1 in 5). I'm thinking F1 GTN 750 because it feels specific; not very technical, Bert, I know! ORBX seems more complex or a combination of elements; again naïve logic from me.  I think I'll have a look at the F1 Forum to see if they are talking about compatibility with P3D V4.1.

Bert, what is your logic for recommending try Orbx Global? What's influencing your thinking?

Very grateful for your time!

Rod

Orbx Global should have no impact on your system and look much better - safe choice.

If that works (it should), try the GTN 750... I would expect it to be the possible culprit if you are having problems.  It certainly is possible to run the GTN on P3Dv4.1. if you have the latest version installed...

If that is all OK, start adding Orbx Regions.. they will add complexity and stress your system more..

Bert