Sign in to follow this  
jimble

Application hang with latest version of MCE.

Recommended Posts

Hola support.

  I downloaded and installed the latest version of MCE and now i have a new problem. When using the Dash Q 400 the computer locks up after i start the engines (that's the exact point every time). Events viewer says the following

"The program MCE exe  version 2729 stopped interacting with windows and was closed. To see if more information is available check the check the problem history in security and maintenance control panel"

 This is rather odd as it doesn't do it with the Aerosoft Airbus A318/19/20/and 21. The computer locks up and the only thing that responds is the mouse . i have to restart the computer using the task manager which again is difficult because i can't get it to display and can get to the windows 10 opening display with a lot of gerrymandering. Any idea what might be going on?

 Thanks in advance.

 Win 10 64 bit intel core i 5-4460 cpu @3.20 ghz, 8.0 GB RAM,NVIDIA G force GT 720.

 REX essentials plus, FS dream team ground services, AI smooth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Jimble,

can I ask which sim your using? 

I've got the Dash in P3Dv3.4 and using the latest MCE, and I've not noticed any issues. But I'll happily test it again if you using P3D.

Rob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's important to know exactly what simulator you are running.

I have P3dv3.4 in Windows 7 pro. The Mjc Dash 8 runs fine.

I Recommend a little program "appcrashview", featured in the CTD thread of the Avsim  P3d forum. Every time you get a crash, it tells you what's gone wrong.

Win 10 had some updates that caused issues for some. But you need to know the culpret and appcrashview will tell you.

Regards. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry forgot to mention the sim. It is FSX. The updates are a possible culprit, The same day that i installed the latest MCE i went to restart the computer as this is always  a good practice, and it said "install updates and restart" so i never got to test it without the updates. Now correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe you don't have control over updates in windows 10 and you have to install them? I'll take a look at the appcrashview when i get back from work today.

   Thanks for the help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, good news. I uninstalled and then reinstalled MCE, did half a test flight, ie took off, and there was no freeze at the after start procedure. Early days yet, but it's looking like the problem is resolved because that freeze always occurred at engine start or after start procedure. (fingers crossed). Will keep you posted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately my computer continues to hang at "after start procedure" with the Dash 8. This has to be the strangest problem that i have ever encountered with any flight sim. It doesn't do it if MCE is not running. Do you have any idea what the conflict could be?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jimble said:

Unfortunately my computer continues to hang at "after start procedure" with the Dash 8. This has to be the strangest problem that i have ever encountered with any flight sim. It doesn't do it if MCE is not running. Do you have any idea what the conflict could be?

The CTD guide may help.

Appcrashview is my go-to guide.

It may be some file that's been corrupted and is messing with your sim. We use software that's dependent upon our o/s as well as the simulator. Then there are all the other pieces of software that run at the same time. No two PC's have the exact same setup. What's working on one, may not on another!

I recently had a corrupted file (c++) used by Windows update, that messed up P3d. I needed my detective hat to find it, but the above link helped!

Cheers.

Check out the above link. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I switched on verbose for the after start flow to see if i could find the exact command that was causing the freeze, to my surprise, there was no freeze. Repeated this stage and again no freeze. Took off and requested climb flow and computer froze again. Restarted, set verbose to on for climb and low and behold, no freeze. I have no idea why it was freezing with verbose off but there you have it. (not all flows just those two so far) Still working on a complete flight to see if any other flows lock the computer up but looks like the fix has been found...all very strange. One quick question. I am using PFE3 and now the default ATC window keeps popping up. I have it disabled in FSX settings, any idea how to stop doing that?

  Many thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jimble said:

I switched on verbose for the after start flow to see if i could find the exact command that was causing the freeze, to my surprise, there was no freeze. Repeated this stage and again no freeze. Took off and requested climb flow and computer froze again. Restarted, set verbose to on for climb and low and behold, no freeze. I have no idea why it was freezing with verbose off but there you have it. (not all flows just those two so far) Still working on a complete flight to see if any other flows lock the computer up but looks like the fix has been found...all very strange. One quick question. I am using PFE3 and now the default ATC window keeps popping up. I have it disabled in FSX settings, any idea how to stop doing that?

  Many thanks.

Normally, with the safe design we adopted, I mean MCE itself and the speech running inside "mce.exe" as an external process to the simulator, the worst case scenario is "mce.exe" eventually becoming unresponsive. But it should hardly if ever take the flight down with it.

You could just restart it and have a fresh Fo in synch with flight phase.

Freezes may have something to do with audio device. So check that drivers for non-USB devices are installed properly.

On a x64 platform, with Realtek audio devices, it's actually better to un-install the Realtek drivers and let Windows use its own digitally signed drivers.

If you're overclocking your system, it's possible your USB audio device (now working harder by both recognizing speech and putting audio out) may not get enough power to feed the built-in audio chip, possibly explaining the randomness of the thing.

Plug it straight to the back of PC to a USB 2.0 port preferably and not the front connectors or USB hub. When something goes wrong with audio or video drivers (or devices themselves not getting enough power or something), this can lockup the whole system.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jimble said:

I am using PFE3 and now the default ATC window keeps popping up. I have it disabled in FSX settings, any idea how to stop doing that?

  Many thanks.

You need to switch MCE to PF3 mode (in ATC tab at the bottom of the window) and restart it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, jimble said:

I switched on verbose for the after start flow to see if i could find the exact command that was causing the freeze, to my surprise, there was no freeze. Repeated this stage and again no freeze. Took off and requested climb flow and computer froze again. Restarted, set verbose to on for climb and low and behold, no freeze. I have no idea why it was freezing with verbose off but there you have it. (not all flows just those two so far) Still working on a complete flight to see if any other flows lock the computer up but looks like the fix has been found...all very strange. One quick question. I am using PFE3 and now the default ATC window keeps popping up. I have it disabled in FSX settings, any idea how to stop doing that?

  Many thanks.

When you say "freeze" do you mean your PC, simulator or MCE? 

A PC freeze needs a "reset", usually you can't do a keyboard three finger reset and you need a push of your reset button.

A sim freeze usually flags up a box with an error. Appcrashview will nail the culpret.

A MCE freeze doesn't usually affect anything, it just stops responding and you re start it. As Gerald said, the FO will pick up the aircraft state exactly where it left off.

A "flow" running should not "lock" up the simulator. As Gerald says, MCE runs outside the sim. The only trouble I have ever had was when I inadvertantly installed a corrupted C++ file. That caused the simulator to CTD, in various places, not just running flows.

If your sim is crashing then appcrashview view should tell what the faulting application is, sound/video, or any other driver fault for that matter. However, it may well kick up a NTDLL fault and those are hopeless to trace!

Like I said, no two PC's can ever be identical, if they were then the faults would be easier to sort out.

Hope you get sorted. It's very annoying when stuff goes wrong and you can't quickly trace the cause.

It may even be the Mjc Dash 8? It has the only flight model that runs outside the simulator, so it's rather unique. No other aircraft does that, despite what some folks will tell you!

Good luck.

Regards.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, charlie130 said:

When you say "freeze" do you mean your PC, simulator or MCE? 

A PC freeze needs a "reset", usually you can't do a keyboard three finger reset and you need a push of your reset button.

A sim freeze usually flags up a box with an error. Appcrashview will nail the culpret.

A MCE freeze doesn't usually affect anything, it just stops responding and you re start it. As Gerald said, the FO will pick up the aircraft state exactly where it left off.

A "flow" running should not "lock" up the simulator. As Gerald says, MCE runs outside the sim. The only trouble I have ever had was when I inadvertantly installed a corrupted C++ file. That caused the simulator to CTD, in various places, not just running flows.

If your sim is crashing then appcrashview view should tell what the faulting application is, sound/video, or any other driver fault for that matter. However, it may well kick up a NTDLL fault and those are hopeless to trace!

Like I said, no two PC's can ever be identical, if they were then the faults would be easier to sort out.

Hope you get sorted. It's very annoying when stuff goes wrong and you can't quickly trace the cause.

It may even be the Mjc Dash 8? It has the only flight model that runs outside the simulator, so it's rather unique. No other aircraft does that, despite what some folks will tell you!

Good luck.

Regards.

 

The sim freezes but i can't ext it as nothing responds except the mouse. I can't bring up the task manager but i can get a screen that gives me the option to restart and that it the only way out of the frozen application. Did a flight this am from Southampton to Manchester and, despite PFE behaving strangely (it never rains but it pours) everything went fine. Reading FS++ comments, he seems unconvinced that the verbose being off is causing the freeze, and it is a kind of red herring to a more complex problem but to be honest with you, i can live with this now as the freezing has stopped with verbose on for after start , and climb procedures.

  Just to be clear, i don't think that this any sort of fault with MCE and i am aware that something on my system is causing this strange behaviour. This must be a migraine for software developers when angry customers claim that the software is faulty simply because their is a problem on their particular computer.

  I got confused and thought 'appcrashview' ans CTD guide was the same thing so i will look up ACV later today.

    Thanks for all the help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this