MSR648

Anyone have ryzen 1600 with p3d or xplane?

Recommended Posts

Hello anyone have an oc'd ryzen 1600? 

How's your perfimance? 

Note : i am gonna switch from a 3470

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Dang that's too bad no replies.  I would love to lose Intel since they put rubberized insulator TIM between die and IHS, and I really don't want to support this ongoing method to hamstring performance and longevity.  I would love to know if you can get anywhere near decent performance w/ AMD now.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have one Ryzen 1600X on a Crosshair VI Hero, its second PC tested it on P3D-V3-5 its good cpu the poor overclock and IPC think the SandyBridge E 3960X is faster its hard to OC the AMD to4.1ghz, nothing for Flightsim my personal thoughts ,,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do have a Ryzen 1700x, OC3.9Ghz (I tested @4.0ghz, saw no benefit in P3D, and one little error in prime95, so got back to 3.9Ghz to avoid random crashes after 3 hour flight). The temps are fine (Noctua NU14S - 65C at syntetic loads, which translates into high 50s in p3d), but I do have another machine with a 7700k, running at stock speeds, I have to say, even in stock (boosting to 4.2Ghz probably, I never really looked closely to that stuff until tried Ryzen), the 7700k beats the Ryzen to it knees in terms of P3d performance. Ryzen is good for multithreaded workloads (this is a machine for my work with photogrammetry), but for single thread bottlenecked stuff like P3D, stick with team blue. In Brazil we have people selling 8700k delided with warranty from the store, so I really doubt there's nothing like that being offered in US, I would go that route, OC it to 5.0Ghz and be happy. 

As I said, I saw a difference in performance between both machines, so I tried to compensate with OC on the Ryzen, and it wasn't enough to unfortunately (the rest of the specs are pretty much the same, GTX1080 and so on...). And that got me thinking "hum... if Intel is so much better stock, what could I do with an OC'ed CPU from team blue running my sim? Will test that in a few days when I get access to my 7700k machine, I'm VERY curious :P .. Even have a new Noctua in the box waiting for it huhuh

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2017 at 4:19 AM, sebastorama said:

I do have a Ryzen 1700x, OC3.9Ghz (I tested @4.0ghz, saw no benefit in P3D, and one little error in prime95, so got back to 3.9Ghz to avoid random crashes after 3 hour flight). The temps are fine (Noctua NU14S - 65C at syntetic loads, which translates into high 50s in p3d), but I do have another machine with a 7700k, running at stock speeds, I have to say, even in stock (boosting to 4.2Ghz probably, I never really looked closely to that stuff until tried Ryzen), the 7700k beats the Ryzen to it knees in terms of P3d performance. Ryzen is good for multithreaded workloads (this is a machine for my work with photogrammetry), but for single thread bottlenecked stuff like P3D, stick with team blue. In Brazil we have people selling 8700k delided with warranty from the store, so I really doubt there's nothing like that being offered in US, I would go that route, OC it to 5.0Ghz and be happy. 

As I said, I saw a difference in performance between both machines, so I tried to compensate with OC on the Ryzen, and it wasn't enough to unfortunately (the rest of the specs are pretty much the same, GTX1080 and so on...). And that got me thinking "hum... if Intel is so much better stock, what could I do with an OC'ed CPU from team blue running my sim? Will test that in a few days when I get access to my 7700k machine, I'm VERY curious :P .. Even have a new Noctua in the box waiting for it huhuh

my 1700x oc to 3.95ghz ram running at 3333 with cl14 timings still barely keeping up in p3dv4.1 w fsl a320. frames are all over the place dropping as low as 15 but mainly staying around 25-27fps average. In xp11 its a different story, it keeps up w my old 6600k oc to 4.6ghz and provides a much smoother experience(lows arent as low). Take away, p3d still much more cpu bound than xp11 therefore clock speed makes a huge difference which the current ryzens just dont have. the next ryzen+ should be running around 4.4-4.5ghz. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, wiler said:

my 1700x oc to 3.95ghz ram running at 3333 with cl14 timings still barely keeping up in p3dv4.1 w fsl a320. frames are all over the place dropping as low as 15 but mainly staying around 25-27fps average. In xp11 its a different story, it keeps up w my old 6600k oc to 4.6ghz and provides a much smoother experience(lows arent as low). Take away, p3d still much more cpu bound than xp11 therefore clock speed makes a huge difference which the current ryzens just dont have. the next ryzen+ should be running around 4.4-4.5ghz. 

Wow, what a testimony about fundamental architectural differences between the two sims.  It sounds in no uncertain terms that from a coding standpoint LR is way ahead of LM as far as utilizing multiple cores better.  Too bad ORBX doesn't support XP11 I'd love to get rid of P3D for something w/o the BS EULA that LM 'Huck Finns' to garner paying beta testers with!   I have so much ORBX stuff I'd only leave now if seasons arrived to XP11, plus I love using FSCaptain, so I'm stuck for the moment.  At least I hardly ever see OOMs w/ V3 so may stay pat w/ V3 as it certainly works well enough for my enjoyment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Noel said:

Wow, what a testimony about fundamental architectural differences between the two sims.  It sounds in no uncertain terms that from a coding standpoint LR is way ahead of LM as far as utilizing multiple cores better.  Too bad ORBX doesn't support XP11 I'd love to get rid of P3D for something w/o the BS EULA that LM 'Huck Finns' to garner paying beta testers with!   I have so much ORBX stuff I'd only leave now if seasons arrived to XP11, plus I love using FSCaptain, so I'm stuck for the moment.  At least I hardly ever see OOMs w/ V3 so may stay pat w/ V3 as it certainly works well enough for my enjoyment.

p3dv4 is good, lots of great improvements and less cpu dependant than before but still not good enough IMO. Illl never go back to that platform full time. For me xp11 is awesome, it has its drawbacks but overall for me its exceeded what p3d can offer for me. I had orbx FTX global and LC but honestly ortho4xp blows that away so dont miss it one bit. The only reason why I was messing around w p3dv4 lately is because I bought the FSLA320(didnt wanna wait for FF A320) and while its an awesome addon it kills the frames so bad for me that it totally detracts from the experience. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wiler said:

p3dv4 is good, lots of great improvements and less cpu dependant than before but still not good enough IMO. Illl never go back to that platform full time. For me xp11 is awesome, it has its drawbacks but overall for me its exceeded what p3d can offer for me. I had orbx FTX global and LC but honestly ortho4xp blows that away so dont miss it one bit. The only reason why I was messing around w p3dv4 lately is because I bought the FSLA320(didnt wanna wait for FF A320) and while its an awesome addon it kills the frames so bad for me that it totally detracts from the experience. 

It's a tough call but if I were new to the game I would go w/ XP11 for various philosophical and technological reasons.  Right now I have such an entrenched use of P3D going I don't know if I would be willing to give it up.  I use only a handful of planes in order of frequency w/ most frequent first:  Majestic Dash 8, PMDG NGX, PMDG 777, and RA Turbine Duke (rarely since the Dash 8 came alone).  And I have a career going in FSCaptain, and I really enjoy this part, in fact it's been a long time since I've flown w/o FSCaptain.  Does XP11 have anything like that?  How about weather, comparable yet to Active Sky?  Textures?  P3D is definitely very strong in the depth department.  That being said, it's really FSCaptain and some choice planes that keeps me, often quite happily, stuck in P3D.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Noel said:

It's a tough call but if I were new to the game I would go w/ XP11 for various philosophical and technological reasons.  Right now I have such an entrenched use of P3D going I don't know if I would be willing to give it up.  I use only a handful of planes in order of frequency w/ most frequent first:  Majestic Dash 8, PMDG NGX, PMDG 777, and RA Turbine Duke (rarely since the Dash 8 came alone).  And I have a career going in FSCaptain, and I really enjoy this part, in fact it's been a long time since I've flown w/o FSCaptain.  Does XP11 have anything like that?  How about weather, comparable yet to Active Sky?  Textures?  P3D is definitely very strong in the depth department.  That being said, it's really FSCaptain and some choice planes that keeps me, often quite happily, stuck in P3D.

Honestly I dont do those add in type things, just like flying solo. xenvrio is pretty good weather addon, not on active sky level, but I hear hifi is developing for xp11 :) After I flew in xp11 in 4K with full ortho coverage of my favorite areas around the world , its just hard to go back to p3d, it isnt even in the same league imo. That said I totally understand why some one with big time $$ invested would hesitate to leave p3d(although I spent thousands on addons in my FS career) it didnt stop me from going mainly xp11 nowadays. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, wiler said:

 That said I totally understand why some one with big time $$ invested would hesitate to leave p3d(although I spent thousands on addons in my FS career) it didnt stop me from going mainly xp11 nowadays. 

I hear you and thanks for that.  Chalk another one up for XP11 I may get there sooner than later.  I have not had to upgrade to V4 so right now I'm good, and as OOM's are almost unheard of in my use I can hardly see another reason to send LM another $200.  I don't get the sense there are really any other meaningful enough changes in P3D 4 over 3.x.   If my current machine holds up long enough I can see XP may end up being where I go in the future when the next build happens.  Or perhaps like others I can put XP on a dedicated SSD w/ its own OS and at least play with it some and see the differences myself.  I'll wait for a new build on that though, and right now I am working on year 6 of my current machine and it runs P3D good enough esp w/ the wonderfully easy on performance, Dash 8.  With the new build I will put P3D V3 or maybe V4 on a new PCIe SSD which will free up my current Samsung 840 for XP11.x  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now