Sign in to follow this  
xxd09

Tongass Fiords

Hi Poppet

Can I be a little bit cheeky?

I do not have the tech ability to install Tongass Fiords into my P3Dv4.1 setup -even though your instructions appear very clear to most simmers on this board.My failings I am sure!

On the Misty Moorings Forum in a Board  entitled  Prepar3d-version4/unsuccessful Tongass Fiords install.

The tenth post by Penzoil3 has a method I might be able to follow.I would appreciate your opinion.

I currently have a successful P3Dv4.1 setup and would hate to “stuff” it up

Thanks for any help you could give me

xxd09

Hi xxd09 

Yes I seen that post,  That will work also but just to make a couple of points..............

There are 3 main parts to getting Tongass Fjords up and running in Prepar3D

1)  Running the Installer 

2)  Setting up your Terrain.cfg file

3)  Adding the Tongass scenery to the Prepar3D Scenery library 

After you complete the 3 main parts,  you have 2 more steps to complete 

1)  Moving the elevation, simobjects, effects files to the correct locations 

2)  Removing the non compatible AI aircraft from the Tongas package 

You cant go wrong here,  No matter where you point the Installer the required folders will only Install to 1 of 3 places.  Have a look at the link below and the 3 locations 

The terrain.cfg file is a generated file,  meaning this file will generated if you delete it when Prepar3D is launched next.  Basically you can delete your terrain.cfg file as many times as you like it will always generate again.

So if you go wrong you can delete it and start over again.  Note: After deleting this file you need to launch Prepar3D to allow it to generate a new terrain.cfg file      

This is pretty straight forward by adding these scenerys to the Prepar3D scenery library 

---------------------------

The only thing that may trip you up is your terrain.cfg file and as i said you can start over again if you go wrong 

Where exactly are you with the process now ? 

Hi Poppet

Thanks for your forbearance 

I am still skirting round this operation but getting there

I have FSX and Tongass on my computer 

I am to use Part 2 of your instructions

Your phrase “For everything else Part 1applies just follow the above instructions “ confused me

Do I go back to Part 1 ? Probably not!

Otherwise it all seemed clear enough

Thanks again

xxd09

4 hours ago, xxd09 said:

Your phrase “For everything else Part 1applies just follow the above instructions “ confused me

Hi

What i am referring to here is............

After running the Tongass Installer and Even though you have FSX Installed you still need to set up your Terrain.cfg file and add the Scenery to your Prepar3D scenery library.

Did you manage to get your terrain.cfg file set up ?  Is this were you are tripping up on ? 

Hi Poppet

About ready to go using your procedure as detailed in your Avsim page

I go back to Part I (5) at final stage after completing Part2

This seems to be a procedure I am familiar with from adding RTTM scenery to FSX  and P3D

I  also note your point re removal of non compatible AI aircraft 

Does this apply when using your procedure where I note some Airplanes and a Rotocraft are moved from FSX to P3D?

Thanks once again for your help

xxd09

Hi Poppet

Yes -Terrain cfg tripped me up

My rather poor computer abilities meant that the 40 Tongass entries ended in the middle of the P3Dv4.1 entries rather than at the bottom of the list-ah me!

All attempted outside P3D setup so sim OK

Something to work on -not immediately clear to me how I correct this

Will let you know how I get on

xxd09

Hi Poppet

Terrain cfg sorted-I learn a new computer skill everyday-thanks to Google!

Back on track!

xxd09

On 15/11/2017 at 10:55 PM, Poppet said:

Hi xxd09 

Yes I seen that post,  That will work also but just to make a couple of points..............

There are 3 main parts to getting Tongass Fjords up and running in Prepar3D

After you complete the 3 main parts,  you have 2 more steps to complete 

1)  Moving the elevation, simobjects, effects files to the correct locations 

2)  Removing the non compatible AI aircraft from the Tongas package 

You cant go wrong here,  No matter where you point the Installer the required folders will only Install to 1 of 3 places.  Have a look at the link below and the 3 locations 

The terrain.cfg file is a generated file,  meaning this file will generated if you delete it when Prepar3D is launched next.  Basically you can delete your terrain.cfg file as many times as you like it will always generate again.

So if you go wrong you can delete it and start over again.  Note: After deleting this file you need to launch Prepar3D to allow it to generate a new terrain.cfg file      

This is pretty straight forward by adding these scenerys to the Prepar3D scenery library 

---------------------------

The only thing that may trip you up is your terrain.cfg file and as i said you can start over again if you go wrong 

Where exactly are you with the process now ? 

Hi,

Currently I have P3Dv4 and still my old installation of Fsx with Tongass. I wish I had a confirmation. I guess I do not have to run the installer again? Correct? I just have to follow your excellent tutorial without reinstalling anything (Copy FSAddon folder from Fsx to P3Dv4 and so on...) ?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

Hi DrumsArt

Took me a while to get my head around things

I used Poppets method

I have a FSX setup with Tongass installed

Start at Part 2 then work through Part1 

My biggest technical problem was putting the 40 Tongass sceneries into the P3Dv4 Terrain cfg-had to learn cut and paste etc-advice available on Google!

It can be done-read Poppets Tutorial a few times till you are really familiar with it-ask if not clear-ask as you proceed if not happy-it is worth it but it is quite a lot of work for an amateur!

xxd09

Thank you xxd09, my only concern was with : must I run the installer again,for the rest nothing seems unfamiliar to me.

Regards,

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

Hello Richard

Yes that's correct if you have Tongass Installed into FSX you will just need to Copy the required files from your FSX Installation and Paste them into the correct Prepar3D v4 folder locations 

Please see the post below for these files 

https://www.avsim.com/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7791/28126288201_d414d7bde3_o.png&key=8eebd358a0b218a56ac0d231e08481cd2e19a4d6ffa2ddeb4b16e86f730c45d3

After that you need to set up your Terrain.cfg file and then Launch Prepar3D > World > Scenery library,  and add the 2 Tongass scenery's like below 

https://www.avsim.com/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7227/27581749574_145d64078c_o.png&key=4d088c771f5d0e394c249c02a6587cf11c51144de51b57c8eab0621aa61f0280

Thanks a lot Poppet for the confirmation...A last thing, please do you know the ai's aircraft to "blacklist" from the Tongass scenery in P3Dv4?

Regards,

Richard Portier

Hi Poppet

All good here except the AI planes do not appear in the simulator 

They are in SimObjects/Airplanes as per you instructions 

Even been updated to P3Dv4 standard via a Misty Moorings update

Amusingly they are also not active in my FSX setup

I never noticed them missing as there are so many other more equivalent morre detailed planes available to fly 

Certainly not a critical item

xxd09