Sign in to follow this  
DTG_Cryss

FREE Mission Pack - Kahului Air Available Now

igkRC6j.jpg

Aloha Avsimmers, 

Welcome to the sunny shores of Hawaii, where your first experience working for the local charter company, Kahului Air awaits. Over the course of a week, you'll be tasked with taking on pilot and co-pilot roles as you ferry passengers and goods around the Hawaiian Islands. 

Brush up on your instrument knowledge for the PA-46 and the PA-34, since you'll need to know your way around the cockpit to get the most out of Kahului Air. 

Features:

• Seven story-led missions based around five tropical locations:
  • Pilot and co-pilot roles
  • Exclusive liveries for the Piper PA-46 Malibu Mirage and Piper PA-34 Seneca
  • Airport traffic featuring officially licensed AI airliners (only in the missions)
  • New Cargo model variant of the PA-34 Seneca

Kahului Air should automatically install to your copy of Flight Sim World, if you want more information about the pack then click here.

• Upvote 2

Dovetail Flight Community Manager: Catch me on Twitch

When I start FSW, I don't see any signs of it. Would appreciate if someone has it. Since there's no indication of a "mission pack" being installed during start up, it's difficult to know if something is wrong with the Steam upload.

51 minutes ago, flyforever said:

When I start FSW, I don't see any signs of it. Would appreciate if someone has it. Since there's no indication of a "mission pack" being installed during start up, it's difficult to know if something is wrong with the Steam upload.

You should have had a few hundred MB download, if not restart Steam (that can cause issues with automatic updates). 

I know you got it eventually, just thought I'd comment for anyone else who may be having issues. :) 

Dovetail Flight Community Manager: Catch me on Twitch

Thanks, Cryss. Just flew the first mission and, wow, I failed it due to my very lazy and sloppy way of flying. Now I will need to fly correctly if I want to earn a living flying as a career pilot.;-)

Although most of the missions are intended to be fun, and they are for the most part, I think the scripting on them needs some work.

For example, on the mission where the engine fails right after take off and then there is also a fuel emergency after that, the co-pilot is questioning my going for altitude after the engine has been restarted. Going for altitude would certainly be the prudent thing to do after a restart in such circumstances, especially in that terrain, yet she's bitching about me remaining at 4,000 feet because it's on the flight plan. Well I'm sorry love, but when I'm in the left seat and things start going t*ts up, the flight plan goes out the window and safety takes its place lol.

Now of course the mission is scripted that way so the engine out landing will be a challenge later on, but it's the P1's decision to do the most prudent thing, and that would absolutely be to go for altitude whilst you've got two working engines, and if that makes the landing easier then it just proves that is indeed good piloting technique, so you shouldn't be penalised for making prudent decisions.

Note too that the co-pilot should be assisting, pulling the throttle, prop and fuel levers back for the P1 whilst he or she is concentrating on flying the aeroplane on one engine, not shouting at the PF to pull the mixture lever back, why can't she do it instead on getting in a flap about me not having done so when I've got my hands full trying to trim the aircraft and fly it with asymmetric thrust cos an engine is out? You're supposed to be a co-pilot lady, do some bloody co-piloting!

Also prudent would be a return to the airfield rather than 'pressing on' as you have to in order not to fail the mission, owing to the scripting of it. I know that's so there can be further challenges on the mission, but it would be a really incredibly stupid thing to do in an aeroplane which is already being returned for a service and which has had an engine cut out and which is either leaking fuel or has some kind of fuel gauge fault or some such. Immediately turning for the nearest airfield, declaring a fuel emergency immediately is the obviously prudent thing to do. Any decent pilot would be squawking 7700 ASAP and getting that piece of junk on the ground as a matter of urgency.

I'm all for a bit of fun and some challenges on the missions, but it's very silly to have missions where stupid and irresponsible piloting decisions are required in order to successfully complete them.

Note that I also unlatched the door for the emergency landing, which is also the prudent thing to do, but  when I did so the co-pilot started yelling at me again and the mission failed, even though I made a perfect landing on the runway; not only that, it was a landing on 05 too, which was the initial runway I'd been cleared for, and that was possible because I was feet above the altitude she was moaning about maintaining. But anyway, as every pilot knows, you should always unlatch the door for an emergency landing if you can, just in case something goes wrong and the fuselage buckles in a hard landing, jamming the door closed and preventing you from evacuating the aeroplane. It's not as if you are going to fall out with the door unlatched, hell I've flown a Cessna with the doors completely from the thing so we could take aerial photos, that's why you have those straps fastened lol.

I know the missions are all just a bit of fun, but making the correct decisions should not be a cause to fail them, and it's promoting really bad airmanship the way they are at present.

Also note that on the mission where the passenger gets ill and you have to divert, the autopilot buttons were very intermittent in the VC, sometimes not working at all, which makes selecting the amended VOR for the diversions tricky. I had to disarm the autopilot and fly the diverted course manually because of that. So they probably need a look at too.

All credit to you guys for providing some fun free content, but you could do with getting someone with a pilot's licence to look them over and check them for veracity in relation to real world practices.

• Upvote 3

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Hi Cryss and thanks for the free missions pack !

I know the pack is installed but where do we have to click in order to find these missions ?

Under the usual "missions" tab I only find the usual ones....

TIA

Francois Mavel

Quite fun missions overall. Definitely worth a go. :biggrin:

Alan Bradbury

As a retiree the only challenge I want to face every day is getting out of bed. :biggrin: So I guess missions do not do much for me but thanks for the effort guys you keep the sim alive and progressing. what I do like the sound of is Airport traffic and extra liveries. When is the Airport traffic going to be extended to the rest of the FSW world please?

One thing which is nice is the AI Air France pilots have French accents.

Alan Bradbury

6 hours ago, altack said:

Hi Cryss and thanks for the free missions pack !

I know the pack is installed but where do we have to click in order to find these missions ?

Under the usual "missions" tab I only find the usual ones....

TIA

There is an arrow thingie on the right of the main Missions window.  Click that arrow and the new Mission Pack should be in that window.

On 11/22/2017 at 3:36 PM, Chock said:

Note too that the co-pilot should be assisting, pulling the throttle, prop and fuel levers back for the P1 whilst he or she is concentrating on flying the aeroplane on one engine, not shouting at the PF to pull the mixture lever back, why can't she do it instead on getting in a flap about me not having done so when I've got my hands full trying to trim the aircraft and fly it with asymmetric thrust cos an engine is out? You're supposed to be a co-pilot lady, do some bloody co-piloting!

If one imagines it as being a spouse instead of a co-pilot in the right seat; those scenarios become much more realistic :happy:.

• Upvote 1