Sign in to follow this  
Kurby

Upgrading Mini-ITX system for P3D

Hi pilots,

currently I am looking for an upgrade of my current hardware for flightsimming in P3d 4.1.
At the moment I am running an Mini-ITX system with GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boos, Xeon® Prozessor E3-1230V3, and 8GB RAM on one 23" monitor (1980*1440px).

I do not want to have a high end system. Mostly I am flying the PMDG 737/777 with FTX Global/Vector. Additionally i am using airports like the complex of the UK2000 group.

Now I want to identify the bottle neck: Should I upgrade the graphic card or the CPU? If graphic card, I have to check if the card fits in Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced (Mini-ITX).

Do you have any recommendations? This would be very helpful for me!

Thak you very much in advance!
Best regards

I'd say the CPU is your greatest bottleneck, and it's a bit of a squeeze to run just 8 on the ram. The 650 Ti would have some more breathing room with a CPU closer to 4 gig speed (at least). That would of course require a new motherboard. 

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 1:31 AM, Kurby said:

Hi pilots,

currently I am looking for an upgrade of my current hardware for flightsimming in P3d 4.1.
At the moment I am running an Mini-ITX system with GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boos, Xeon® Prozessor E3-1230V3, and 8GB RAM on one 23" monitor (1980*1440px).

I do not want to have a high end system. Mostly I am flying the PMDG 737/777 with FTX Global/Vector. Additionally i am using airports like the complex of the UK2000 group.

Now I want to identify the bottle neck: Should I upgrade the graphic card or the CPU? If graphic card, I have to check if the card fits in Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced (Mini-ITX).

Do you have any recommendations? This would be very helpful for me!

Thak you very much in advance!
Best regards

Ram would need to go to 16 GB, personally I'd upgrade the GPU to a 1060 6 GB or AMD equivalent, then of course the CPU to a newer architecture. You can get a  7600k for just under $200. You can get a 1060 that would fit in your case, I'd imagine as they can be pretty dang small depending on who you buy from.

Thank you for your replies.
I think I upgrade the GPU to the 1060, and the RAM to 16GB. I've read that P3D has more priority on the GPU than on the CPU.
If I find later a CPU for my motherboard, maybe I get also there a new one.

That's wrong - the CPU is still the most important / most used component.  However that video card is pretty behind the times - I'd just update the entire system.  I do think at 2k res a 6 GB gtx 1060 would be w help.  Don't get the 3GB version

i use 8gb ram and it's ok.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Defiantly look at the zotac 1060 6gb mini card. It’s great for small cases. Only downside is the single fan which can get a bit loud at 100%. But if you tweak the fan curve you can tame it a bit. Just make sure your cpu cooler is expelling the air outside the case. 

16gb ram is a must. Don’t know how people can run on 8gb

Mike