Sign in to follow this  

fsAerodata question

Just installed fsAerodata because I noticed a lot of the approaches I did with the latest AIRAC installed were a bit off and to the side. I was hopingfsAerodata would fix that. Now I haven't been able to test that yet because it seems fsAerodata also changes some radio frequencies. I was unable to contact tower with ProATC and after a while I figured out that ProATC said, with audio, that I had to contact 119.4 but it showed in text that I had to contact 119.1.

Is it correct that fsAerodata also changes radio frequencies? I thought it only changed VOR etc. freqs. And does anyone here also use fsAerodata and ProATC and if so: what did you do to make them work together?

BTW At this moment I am creating a new database for Plan-G but it is taking ages.... it's as if it is stuck. I thought fsAerodata was a simple install and forget addon but it seems I have to fix a lot of other addons too. PFPX maybe also? It's a bit hard to figure out which addons are influenced by fsAerodata so if someone knows more about this, let me know.

Live isn't getting simpler with all my new addons lately... :mellow: More fun, well, yes, if it all works but it is taking quite some time to get things done properly.

Any add-on that is not up to date with the latest AIRAC will show discrepancies with fsaerodata. Also I have found that Little NavMap updates its scenery database far faster with each new AIRAC than Plan G.

FSAerodata works pretty well together with PATC on my side. But as Jay mentioned it is important that all relevant add-ons are using the same AIRAC. I always run makerunways from P3D install (Lorbys Addon Organizer should be installed too). Take care that FSaerodata entries are allways on top of the scenery.cfg (control/change with Lorbys Addon Organizer). Then follows data import in PATC.

There were some ILS inaccuracies recently but they were fixed with 1712r4.

It is also important to use latest Magnetic Variation Data ... see here https://www.fsaerodata.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=128

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

25 minutes ago, Nemo said:

It is also important to use latest Magnetic Variation Data ... see here https://www.fsaerodata.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=128

Er... is that mentioned in the manual somewhere? That would be very odd. The link in that link tothe files you need (magdec?) isn't correct.

EDIT
Managed to find it here: http://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids.html

Again, odd that this isn't mention anywhere as far as I can tell.

9 minutes ago, J van E said:

Er... is that mentioned in the manual somewhere? That would be very odd. The link in that link tothe files you need (magdec?) isn't correct.

The link does not work correctly since hot-linking this page is not allowed ... You will find it under Navaids Tools on Herve Sors site.

Guess you found it anyway ...

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

10 minutes ago, J van E said:

Again, odd that this isn't mention anywhere as far as I can tell.

Absolutely, right!

- Harry 

Magvar data is updated annually and if one want to maintain absolute precision (and who here doesn't?) the stock P3d file must be replaced. That's why each airport chart shows the annual magvar rate in degrees.

1 hour ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Magvar data is updated annually and if one want to maintain absolute precision (and who here doesn't?) the stock P3d file must be replaced. That's why each airport chart shows the annual magvar rate in degrees.

I'm with Jeroen, would have been nice for fsaerodata to mention this suggestion...lol. I've been using Navigraph data for addons, and fsaerodata for some time, but never updated magnetic variation! All that $$$$ for Navi updates, and I was using it with 10 yr. old mag data...wow, I feel like a moron!

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

Does updating the magvar have any negative consequences/side affects?

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Any add-on that is not up to date with the latest AIRAC will show discrepancies with fsaerodata. Also I have found that Little NavMap updates its scenery database far faster with each new AIRAC than Plan G.

Don't you build your own database with Plan G3?

I thought it scans your installation and addons?

Well what a great thread. I’m in a fresh P3D install with Navigraph and FSAero. 

On Saturday flying into KSEA on Pilotedge the controller kept asking me if I was sure I was aligned with the correct runway!  Couldn’t tell because I was in clouds. 

Looks like a project for tonight and maybe some before and after pictures!

and add magdata to my growing ‘reinstall’ list. 

Cheers. 

UK P3DV5 and Xplane 11 Simmer
PilotEdge I11, CAT11, A-Z (ZLA), A-Z (WUS)

System details: Gigabyte P57v7 CF2 17.3" laptop. Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ CPU (averaging 3.4mhz). NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8mb (laptop version), 16 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM, SSD - Samsung 970 Evo  500GB M.2 NVMe, 1TB HDD 7200.

5 hours ago, swiesma said:

Don't you build your own database with Plan G3?

I thought it scans your installation and addons?

Both Plan G and Little NavMap scan all your installed scenery in order to build their respective databases. LNM just seems to do it faster in my opinion.

20 hours ago, J van E said:

Live isn't getting simpler with all my new addons lately... :mellow: More fun, well, yes, if it all works but it is taking quite some time to get things done properly.

Are you suggesting too many add-ons?  I've always wondered how the average simmer could possibly manage their flight sim of choice ... I have a document that is now almost 40 pages long full of tid bits of information on how to keep everything working well together (from configuring GoFlight modules to disabling BGLs for a specific airport/scenery).  It's getting so complex that I've seriously thought about coding my own application to manage the add-on managers and add-ons themselves ... there is almost always some file I need to disable, some file I need to enable, a change in scenery order, and sequence of events that must happen in yet another specific order after running FTX Central.

Then I pause, reflect why I spent an entire day trying to track down a problem with a specific add-on, fire up Civilization VI and go conquer the world with diplomacy ... reminds me of a simpler time :laugh:

Back on topic, FSL A320 will replace magvar file also.

Cheers, Rob.

2 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Then I pause, reflect why I spent an entire day trying to track down a problem with a specific add-on, fire up Civilization VI and go conquer the world with diplomacy ... reminds me of a simpler time :laugh:

:biggrin:

Just did my second flight with fsAerodata installed and still I did approach the runway at an angle (and no, this wasn't a published angle). Ever since installing the latest AIRAC for all my addons I haven't been able to approach a runway straight. I am either at an angle or simply left or right of the middle. And this is with ILS. I was hoping fsAerodata would solve this but well, so far I have no clue what fsAerodata is doing for P3D: I notice no difference. Guess I will have to get used to steering the plane to the middle of the runway myself from now on. I have no clue at all how to solve this is Navigraph and fsAerodata plus magvar make no difference!

And btw with all these addons and a plane that keeps you busy I have only completed ONE flight without any problems since I got the Q400. Today, as happens more often, ProATC decided to leave the office early. Slightly annyoing if there is always something going wrong, be it software or my own stupidity. :happy: