Henry Street

Scenery causes CTD (please read carefully before replying)

Recommended Posts

I have several sceneries from SkyDesigners representing French military airbases. All of the sceneries work fine in FSX-SE and P3Dv3. The sceneries are all very texture intensive with hundreds of 4K textures.

None of the sceneries use SODE or have any dlls associated with them.

Of the 6 sceneries, 4 cause a CTD within a minute or so of spawning an aircraft at them. 2 of the sceneries are working fine (and look beautiful in v4).

My questions are:

1) Are there FS2004 scenery elements in these sceneries that would work in FSX but cause a CTD in v4?

2) How would you go about troubleshooting which scenery elements could be causing this?

3) Are there any specific legacy scenery elements that are known to cause an issue in v4?

Thanks for thoughtful and experienced replies.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

After troubleshooting for about 4 hours, I can say with absolute certainty that the issue was Henrik's Global AI Ship traffic.

The symptom was...when sitting in a parking spot at one of the affected airports (let's use LMFY Salon de Provence), going to the locked spot view and panning around would cause the CTD within about a minute. Log files only showed that Prepar3d.exe was unresponsive and had been closed. This behavior was very repeatable and did not vary with different aircraft.

So here is my troubleshooting..
1) With all SkyDesigners scenery disabled, I set up a saved flight at the default LMFY, parking spot 3. While setting this up, it rapidly became apparent that the CTD was happening with the default scenery too. Yes, weird....was able to repeat this several times.

2) Backed up my existing Prepar3d.cfg and allowed a new one to be built. Using the saved flight, the sim did not crash when panning in locked spot.

3) Started making changes to each section (General, Information, etc) of options, one section at a time. After changing one section, loaded the save flight and did the panning. No CTD on setting the texture sizes, lighting, autogen, or other processor intensive settings.

4) However, when I set the traffic sliders to my liking (from 0%, the default in auto created Prepar3d.cfg), the sim would crash with the panning test.

5) Deleted the Prepar3d.cfg again, ran the sim and went to the traffic settings. Started modifying them one at a time, with each time applying the pan test. No crashes until I adjusted the Ship/Ferry traffic. I have 2 ship traffic addons installed: Henrik's and Haze Grey Studios.

6) De-activating Henrik's traffic files (I have them in an addon.xml config), leaving HGS enabled and the sim passed the pan test with no CTD.

7) Re-activating the traffic files and saved flight panning test caused the CTD.

With Henrik's traffic files de-activated, I have enabled all 6 of the SkyDesigner sceneries and they are working fine with no glitches or crashes.

Has anyone seen something like this before where it appears the traffic files were the cause? Any ideas how this problem is occurring?

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you try removing the hgs add-on and see if it crashes wirh AI ship traffic? maybe the 2 conflict or overlap eachother or the hgs one is using fs2004 models..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Slayer said:

Did you try removing the hgs add-on and see if it crashes wirh AI ship traffic? maybe the 2 conflict or overlap eachother or the hgs one is using fs2004 models..

Good call....I will try that.

 

UPDATE: Enabled Henrik's while disabling HGS. Still the pan test crashed. Going to review my install of Henrik's ships and if still an issue, submit to him for a look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Henry Street said:

Good call....I will try that.

 

UPDATE: Enabled Henrik's while disabling HGS. Still the pan test crashed. Going to review my install of Henrik's ships and if still an issue, submit to him for a look.

Try to remove the four ship folders below - the most likely is a problem from installation:

AI_AC_Sailboat

AI_Calypso

AI_John_T_Essberger

AI_La_Recouvrance

Next reactivate the traffic.

Where do the problem occur? Place and weekday will allow to identify the problem if it is the AI Ships. it is highly unlikely that a traffic.bgl causes the problem. But the four above FS9 models will cause a CTD in P3Dv4 if they are not replaced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe SimLauncherX (forum in the Freeware section) has the ability to look at all AI to see if it is compatible with FSX and removes the AI if found.  I know it does for aircraft.  We have a lot of addons today made for FS9 and earlier that have never been updated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, KL791 said:

Try to remove the four ship folders below - the most likely is a problem from installation:

AI_AC_Sailboat

AI_Calypso

AI_John_T_Essberger

AI_La_Recouvrance

Next reactivate the traffic.

Where do the problem occur? Place and weekday will allow to identify the problem if it is the AI Ships. it is highly unlikely that a traffic.bgl causes the problem. But the four above FS9 models will cause a CTD in P3Dv4 if they are not replaced.

Henrik,

Removing those models and re-activating the traffic files was a success. The pan test was successful for several minutes with no CTD.

The date and time of my saved flight is 5/30/2017 14:00:00

The CTD was happening at several French airports but not at any others that I could tell.

Thanks for the quick reply.....the ships are back!

Jim, thanks for the tip...I will add that tool to my bag of tricks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe the final word...

Henrik,

Looks like I missed the v2 of the 200 package. My download is dated May, 2017 and did not have the update 4 models.

The 200 package dated June, 2017 does have the updated models.

Thanks again for all your beautiful work.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Henry Street said:

Maybe the final word...

Henrik,

Looks like I missed the v2 of the 200 package. My download is dated May, 2017 and did not have the update 4 models.

The 200 package dated June, 2017 does have the updated models.

Thanks again for all your beautiful work.

 

 

 

Glad to see you got it to work :D And you can look forward to the next update.

17121010575016112915410332.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now