C130FE

Problem with Trial Version

Recommended Posts

I am having a real problem with P2A in that when I click anywhere on it, FSX:SE goes away and I can't get it back.  I can click on the task bar and sometimes it comes back and sometimes it doesn't.  Most of the time it doesn't.  So I followed DrumsArt's advice and unticked  the second option in the FSX General Parameters menu "pause on task switch", and in the FSX.cfg file the parameter is "PAUSE_ON_LOST_FOCUS =0" as instructed in his post.  I don't know if this is a problem because I am using FSX:SE.  The Steam FSXSEConfig is an EXE so I cannot access that file.  The only fsx.cfg file I can access is C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX.  My FSX:SE is located on my D:.  I'm not a computer guru so I don't know if that makes any difference.  I am in window mode, with "on top".  In the config, I have set a button to Minimize the P2A and it works fine.   I have carefully read the manual and I'm pretty sure I'm doing things right but can't figure this out..  I got it to work for the most part last night when I first got it installed and flew some touch and goes and it was awesome.  Think I'm going to really enjoy this program if I can just figure this out.  I also went to download a program from Flight 1 called "SoundStream" so I don't lose the sound, however, it only works with the "Boxed" version.  Would greatly appreciate any help.  Thanks.

Rodger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

10 minutes ago, C130FE said:

The only fsx.cfg file I can access is C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

If you only have FSX-SE installed then that would be the correct fsx.cfg, If you have both boxed and SE the cfg file would be in C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE and the file name fsx_se.cfg. It doesn't matter where fsx-se is installed, the cfg file will still be as above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, bjwoody61 said:

If you only have FSX-SE installed then that would be the correct fsx.cfg, If you have both boxed and SE the cfg file would be in C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE and the file name fsx_se.cfg. It doesn't matter where fsx-se is installed, the cfg file will still be as above.

Yes, I only have FSX:SE installed.  I just got done flying another 5 touch and goes.  What I have to do is before taxi, put in ground and tower frequencies.  Then I minimize P2A.  Even if I don't minimize P2A, and I click on any function FSX goes to minimize and I absolutely cannot get it back.  Once I get to the runway and change to tower, I leave it there and I'm fine as long as I don't bring P2A back up.  As soon as I do FSX is gone forever.  No matter what I do it will not come back.  I have to reboot FSX:SE and start all over.  I really think this program is awesome, but if I can't get this fixed I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to go with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is nothing in P2A that could minimize FSX.  It sounds like the key you have set to minimize P2A is also set to do something in FSX.

I assume you're running on a single screen.  If it were me, I would try not having a minimize key set in P2A to avoid any conflicts with that key in FSX.  

I would turn off the P2A On Top button and just use the Alt-tab keys to bring P2A back when I need to see it. 

Or, shrink P2A down to just see the flight plan, leave the On Top setting set, and press the FPL button at top Right to hide/show the map/FltPln.

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

There is nothing in P2A that could minimize FSX.  It sounds like the key you have set to minimize P2A is also set to do something in FSX.

I assume you're running on a single screen.  If it were me, I would try not having a minimize key set in P2A to avoid any conflicts with that key in FSX.  

I would turn off the P2A On Top button and just use the Alt-tab keys to bring P2A back when I need to see it. 

Or, shrink P2A down to just see the flight plan, leave the On Top setting set, and press the FPL button at top Right to hide/show the map/FltPln.

Dave

Thanks Dave for the information.  However, I am running a triple screen monitor.  Don't know if that may be part of the problem or not.  I'll go back and undo everything I did and give it another try.  Ok, I believe it is because I'm using a triple screen monitor.  In single screen mode, things work just as you say.  However, when I switch to the triple screen mode, the screens are automatically in full screen.  I go to windowed mode and do alt+tab FSX goes to the taskbar and will not reopen.  As long as I'm in the single screen mode everything is fine.  However, I have been flying for so long with triple screen monitors there is no way I can go back to a single screen.  I hope and pray there is a workaround for this.  This is the best ATC program I have found.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK.  That's different.

Sounds like you need to leave P2A On Top and just size and position it so it's not blocking critical things in the SIM.  I usually fly with P2A on the Right Screen covering a portion of the co-pilot seat.

Or, if you have another monitor, add a monitor for P2A.  A USB connected monitor works nicely and doesn't require a slot on your video card.

And of course, if you have a descent laptop or other 2nd computer, run P2A on that.

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dave, I'm finding that it is one or the other.  I cannot get P2A to sit on top when in the triple screen mode.  The screen will only show one or the other.  Not like in the single screen mode.  Don't understand why but I'll open up FSX, then bring up P2A .  As I said before in the single screen mode it works as advertised.  But as soon as I bring it to the triple screen mode P2A is minimized. If I bring up P2A, then FSX is minimized.  Very frustrating as I want this program to work so badly.  I guess maybe my only option would be to get a panoramic monitor and then I'm sure P2a would work.  But I currently have a 60" panoramic view with the triple screen monitor.  However, in order to be able to have P2A it would be a sacrifice I could make.  One question Dave, if I went to say a 35" monitor, could I still use one of my 24" monitors for P2A?  Thanks for your patience and help.  Much appreciated.

Rodger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A 24" Monitor would be plenty big.  I've used it on a tablet without a problem.  Just be sure it's 1920X1080 resolution.

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

A 24" Monitor would be plenty big.  I've used it on a tablet without a problem.  Just be sure it's 1920X1080 resolution.

Dave

Well, I just went out and bought a 34" monitor, got it set up and did my first flight with P2A and it worked perfectly.  So now I'll be able to purchase P2A..  Thanks Dave for your help.  Gonna really enjoy this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No problem.  Dave after I purchase P2A, do I just download it onto my tablet so I can use it during a flight. Not sure how that would work?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would download it to the tablet first and get it working with the Trial period on the tablet. Setting up on a networked PC is very different from running on the same PC as FSX. 

Once you purchase the software, instead of pressing the "Continue to Trial" button, just press the Register button and enter the license key on the registration screen.  The software is the same software, so no need to download or install a new copy.

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

I would download it to the tablet first and get it working with the Trial period on the tablet. Setting up on a networked PC is very different from running on the same PC as FSX. 

Once you purchase the software, instead of pressing the "Continue to Trial" button, just press the Register button and enter the license key on the registration screen.  The software is the same software, so no need to download or install a new copy.

Dave

Ok, thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dave, I for some reason cannot download P2A to my android tablet and get it to open.  However, I do have an older laptop with windows 7.  I have downloaded P2A to it.   Should I purchase P2A on this laptop or my desktop which I am using the 10 day trial.   Sorry for the hassle.  Once again thanks for your help.  Much appreciated.

Rodger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rodger,

P2A is Windows only.  It will definitely not run on the Android device and likely the old Win 7 laptop will not have enough resources to run it.

When you purchase the software, you will get a license key via email.  So it doesn't matter what machine you use to purchase it with.  To register, you start the program wherever it's running and enter the license key on the Register screen on that machine.

If you're going to be using it on the desktop, that is the machine you will be registering it on, so you'll want to be able to have the license key available for copy/paste on that machine.

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

Rodger,

P2A is Windows only.  It will definitely not run on the Android device and likely the old Win 7 laptop will not have enough resources to run it.

When you purchase the software, you will get a license key via email.  So it doesn't matter what machine you use to purchase it with.  To register, you start the program wherever it's running and enter the license key on the Register screen on that machine.

If you're going to be using it on the desktop, that is the machine you will be registering it on, so you'll want to be able to have the license key available for copy/paste on that machine.

Dave

Ok, thanks Dave.  Guess I'll have to set up that 24" monitor and run it from there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now