Sign in to follow this  
tecto

question to i7-7700k users - what is your max core temp during flight ?

1 minute ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Simbol,

Watched a quick video - so the thermal compound you specified above can be used on both sides of the lid ? The outside as well - that connects to your CPU cooler ?

Thanks...

Regards,

Scott

Yes, although when I delided mine I used liquid metal.

If you explore their website you will find the liquid metal I used inside my CPU, then I used the normal thermal compound between my waterblock and my CPU.

Simbol 

• Upvote 1

I buy a new computer about every  2 years so no biggy on the shortened life.

Cheers

bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

On 19.12.2017 at 9:59 AM, simbol said:

Then you have a problem too as an undervolted CPU should give you even lower temps as people here that are OC.

My I6600k max temp was 55 at stock speed under maximum load with prime95, now I have delid it and OC it to 4.6Ghz with max temps of 68-70 under prime and 55 under PD3V4.

Yes I know it is delided now, but prior to deliding it was hitting 84c at 4.6Ghz under prime95, which in comparison with yours that is undervolted is still much better.

So I think your temps are abnormal.

Simbol 

Sure, that's why you find millions of results with such high temps for the 6700K :-)

https://www.google.de/search?q=i7+6700k+temps&oq=i7+6700k+temps&aqs=chrome..69i57j35i39j0l4.10319j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

1 hour ago, swiesma said:

Sure, that's why you find millions of results with such high temps for the 6700K :-)

Well look at this article: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/skylake-intel-core-i7-6700k-core-i5-6600k,review-33276-11.html

Temperatures at Full Load (During the Stress Test)

The Core i5-6600K’s temperature across all cores averages approximately 48 degrees Celsius after 30 minutes, and the i7-6700K ends up at approximately 64 degrees Celsius. Even during peaks, it never surpasses the limit of 73 degrees Celsius.

Due to reader feedback, we reverted back to our reference air CPU cooler, as opposed to the all-in-one water cooling solution. In light of this, these results are certainly decent, even though the i7-6700K’s higher power consumption drives up the temperatures.

Two things to note:

1) They were testing cooling solutions using air.

2)Their stress tests put all cores under load were PD3 don't stress all cores at 100%.

Now the interesting thing with your case is that your CPU is running undervolted @ stock plus being water cooled and therefore that is why I think it should run much cooler than that since you are not even using the voltages used for the baseline above, so there is no reason why your CPU should be generating such amount of heat.

What happens if you run Prime95 with small FFts? (which is used for max heat test)

This is how my i7-6700k looks under load during a max heat test using an OC of 4.5Ghz:

Note the maximum temp is 61 Celcius:

sjdKynO.png

Best Regards,
Simbol

1 hour ago, simbol said:

Now the interesting thing with your case is that your CPU is running undervolted @ stock plus being water cooled and therefore that is why I think it should run much cooler than that since you are not even using the voltages used for the baseline above, so there is no reason why your CPU should be generating such amount of heat.

You are exaclty right here. But it is not like this. I even reapplied the cooler to be sure everything is ok. No change. Even at idle (800 MHz) I am at around 35-40, but I cannot exactly remember. Will do some tests tonight after work.

8 minutes ago, swiesma said:

Yeah, but your CPU is delidded, right?

Now yes, but before it wasn't and I never hit 70c under max heat tests using the standard clock.

The only reason I delid it was to OC it higher and keep the temps lower.

Before deliding I was hitting 80c on the same test at 4.3Ghz, now I can push even to 4.7Ghz, in comparison you are hitting 75c undervolted.

Simbol 

I will get back to you in some hours with some more tests ;-)

• Upvote 1

I see in your screenshots that you run 1.23V @4.5 GHz? Right?

5 minutes ago, swiesma said:

I see in your screenshots that you run 1.23V @4.5 GHz? Right?

The voltage shown is the configured in BIOS, it will dynamically adjust to the CPU needs all the way to a cap voltage in order to achieve stability and good temps.

I can send you a picture of the bios config later as I am out having a coffee :)

Simbol 

That would be very nice :-)

I was also running adaptive Vcore, but fixed was more stable.

26 minutes ago, swiesma said:

That would be very nice :-)

I was also running adaptive Vcore, but fixed was more stable.

There is also another trick to lower your CPU temps when you OC which is disabling the internal Intel GPU.

Here is my current BIOS config:

CPU OC:

GKd8xZW.png

Memory OC:

mWRYJnW.png

Regards,
Simbol

My 6700K will hit 65C on its hottest core when P3D is running. Overclocked to 4.6 GHZ with 1.275v and a Noctua NH-D15 cooking it. Fans are pretty much running idle most of the time, as well. CPU has not been decided either. The 6700K does get a bit warm, but it is manageable with a good cooler and a sensible overclock. Sure, if I was pumping 1.35v through it on 4.8 GHz, which I have done before except running 1.33v, then the temps would be much higher but I find 4.6 to be fast enough.

• Upvote 1

Ok, now I have my actual numbers for you, running Prime95 Small FFTs:

Vcore: 1.168 V @ 4GHz all cores

Using Core Temp: Max. 65°C on all cores

2 minutes ago, swiesma said:

Ok, now I have my actual numbers for you, running Prime95 Small FFTs:

Vcore: 1.168 V @ 4GHz all cores

Using Core Temp: Max. 65°C on all cores

That is more likely :) 

Simbol