Sign in to follow this  
tecto

question to i7-7700k users - what is your max core temp during flight ?

Mine is running at 4.7 with a Noctua NH-U12S air cooler.

Running P3DV4, mine runs between 65-75c & never has instability issues.

14 hours ago, simbol said:

Way too high, 80 deg without OC means that you have a cooling problem.

No, not with Skylake.

I run my 6600K undervolted @ stock speed and still see temps between 70 and 75°C in P3D using a 240 AiO water cooler!

16 minutes ago, swiesma said:

No, not with Skylake.

I run my 6600K undervolted @ stock speed and still see temps between 70 and 75°C in P3D using a 240 AiO water cooler!

Then you have a problem too as an undervolted CPU should give you even lower temps as people here that are OC.

My I6600k max temp was 55 at stock speed under maximum load with prime95, now I have delid it and OC it to 4.6Ghz with max temps of 68-70 under prime and 55 under PD3V4.

Yes I know it is delided now, but prior to deliding it was hitting 84c at 4.6Ghz under prime95, which in comparison with yours that is undervolted is still much better.

So I think your temps are abnormal.

Simbol 

Thank you for all replies. Now I have some more background. I definitely have to look at my cooling capabilities.

However, please watch this video and tell me what you think.

This guy has a liquid cooling on his i7-7700k, nevertheless CPU reaches 91 deg C.

Regading thermal paste - I'm using this: Thermaltake TG-7 Extreme Performance
https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Extreme-Performance-Heatsink-CL-O004-GROSGM/dp/B00O5VX6O2

Do you think it's good or not?

Hi...

My take - paste is paste - probably most use the same stuff... Watch a video on how to apply it - most say a pea sized blob on the center of the CPU is adequate...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

43 minutes ago, tecto said:

This guy has a liquid cooling on his i7-7700k, nevertheless CPU reaches 91 deg C.

Regading thermal paste - I'm using this: Thermaltake TG-7 Extreme Performance
https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Extreme-Performance-Heatsink-CL-O004-GROSGM/dp/B00O5VX6O2

Do you think it's good or not?

The guy in the video overclocked his i7-7700k from 4.2ghz (which is the base clock) to 4.8Ghz, that is why his CPU is running very hot, it is a well known issue that 7700K and 8800K cpu series run very very hot when overclocked and it is recommended to delid these CPUs if you wish to reach 4.8GHz or above in order to keep the temps down.

If you are not overclocking to such levels you will be fine, I would recommend this thermal paste: http://www.thermal-grizzly.com/en/products/16-kryonaut-en, the issue with cheap thermal compounds is that they will solidify faster over time at higher temperatures, this will force you to replace the compound again in order to keep the performance of your CPU optimal.

Best Regards,
Simbol 

1 hour ago, simbol said:

The guy in the video overclocked his i7-7700k from 4.2ghz (which is the base clock) to 4.8Ghz, that is why his CPU is running very hot, it is a well known issue that 7700K and 8800K cpu series run very very hot when overclocked and it is recommended to delid these CPUs if you wish to reach 4.8GHz or above in order to keep the temps down.

If you are not overclocking to such levels you will be fine, I would recommend this thermal paste: http://www.thermal-grizzly.com/en/products/16-kryonaut-en, the issue with cheap thermal compounds is that they will solidify faster over time at higher temperatures, this will force you to replace the compound again in order to keep the performance of your CPU optimal.

Best Regards,
Simbol 

Yes I heard about Thermal Grizzly Kryounaut - I'm going to buy this today and try.
I've noticed that this TG-7 thermal paste has a thermal conductivity of 3.3 W/m-k, while Thermal Grizzly has 12.5 W/m-k. This is quite significant difference - almost four times higher conductivity! However this is the theory and we'll see what will be the practice...

I've noticed that even when my CPU has around 90 deg C heat pipes on the heat sink are not hot. They are slightly warm but not hot. So I have a suspicion that there is a poor thermal conductivity between the CPU and heat sink. I would expect that at 90 degrees heat pipes will have - at least - around 40-50 deg C, which I should feel quite well on my fingers.

Anyway, another thing is that I have the HTPC case for my computer, which needs a low profile cooler and fan. So I have a poor cooler and fan comparing to yours - because it's a Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. B. This is a low profile cooler with low profile fan, which I had for years in my old computer.
It worked very well with my old AMD Athlon II X4 640 but here is a big difference and it makes no sense to compare these two CPUs. I'm going also to change the fan to Corsair ML120 PRO LED, which is almost twice as efficient as the old one. We'll see whether this will change anything.

I bought this new hardware about 2 weeks ago so I'm still experimenting. However changing the computer case to have more room for a better cooling is the last thing, which I want to do... however, I do not exclude it...

• Upvote 1

Hi Folks,

Question - so once you decide to "delid" a CPU - what's your cooling option ? Are there CPU coolers designed to work with delidded CPU's ?

Regards,
Scott

2 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Folks,

Question - so once you decide to "delid" a CPU - what's your cooling option ? Are there CPU coolers designed to work with delidded CPU's ?

Regards,
Scott

You should put the lid back on with special silicone, the idea of deliding is to replace the Intel thermal compound which is very poor and to reduce the space between your lid and cpu cores.

I used the der8auer delid tool and did it myself.

Simbol 

Hi Simbol,

LOL - hah - gross conceptual error on my part - I thought people were just pulling the tops off and throwing them away... Obviously more research required before heading down that path... Thanks...

:wink:

Regards,
Scott

4 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Simbol,

LOL - hah - gross conceptual error on my part - I thought people were just pulling the tops off and throwing them away... Obviously more research required before heading down that path... Thanks...

:wink:

Regards,
Scott

Hehe, you use high grade silicone that supports up to 200 or 300 Celsius.

Simbol 

15 hours ago, vgbaron said:

My system with a delidded CPU at 5ghz runs stress tests maxed around 60. During flight around 55C

Vic

I'm sorry that is really heinous, to have to de-lid the bloody thing when this all could have been easily done at the good ol' intel factory by using decent liquid metal let alone solder instead of silly putty for TIM.  I had so hoped AMD would kick their sorry butts for intentionally hamstringing what are otherwise great chips.   I'm hoping 'Ice Lake' was so named because voila, they decided to use liquid metal TIM as a means of helping meet higher performance targets.  They really should have named Kaby Lake, Lava Lake, and Coffee Lake, Furnace Creek :blink:

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

1 hour ago, simbol said:

(...)

The most interesting thing for me is that for 4.8 GHz I have almost the same temperatures with my poor cooling system as the guy from the video who also has the 4.8 GHz but cooled with Kraken X62 liquid cooler.

I think comparing my cooling system to his is like comparing Cessna 172 with A380 :biggrin: