Sign in to follow this  
Robert3512

Weird PFD flight modes

I've been flying the PMDG 747 for about 3 months now, but this is the first time I am seeing this.

https://imgur.com/a/Ecg14

If the link doesn't work, what I'm basically seeing is:

THR   |   ATT   |   FLCH SPD

A look through the FCOM doesn't really explain anything useful.

9 minutes ago, Robert3512 said:

I've been flying the PMDG 747 for about 3 months now, but this is the first time I am seeing this.

https://imgur.com/a/Ecg14

If the link doesn't work, what I'm basically seeing is:

THR   |   ATT   |   FLCH SPD

A look through the FCOM doesn't really explain anything useful.

Welcome to the forums. Please note that PMDG requires that users include a signature block with the user's name (first and last) in all posts in the PMDG forum.
Failure to include a signature will result in removal of the post without comment.

We strongly encourage users to set up a signature block in their AVSim user account, then you never have to worry to remember in the future!

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

Also, how do I even edit a reply? This is so confusing, which is not really helped by your overtly curt attitude towards a new user, is it?

• Upvote 2

I would suggest to read the rules first

As for the signature. Go to the user name on the top right. Select account settings and then signature.

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

Now that we got that squared away, can someone please answer my question? Sorry about my pissy attitude, but then it is definitely a one-time offense.

• Upvote 1

What this means is that the autopilot is in a degraded mode. You should also have received the AUTOPILOT caution EICAS. Refer to start with in Chapter 4.20.2 (Page 660) of the FCOM. In your scenario it means that the autopilot roll mode has become degraded for some reason (Not specified in the FCOM). To troubleshoot I would verify my previous roll mode and check whether any of its sources are affected. For example, the IRS's, the FMC etc. It seems from your photo that you don't have an active route towards KLAS. Can this be the reason maybe?

Cheers,

Xander Koote

All round aviation geek

1st Officer Boeing 777

I've seen this when the autopilot is engaged and there is an input from my yoke. When I select disable CTL INPUT WITH AP ON from the PMDG SETUP/OPTIONS/SIMULATION page 2/10 I never have this problem.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

1 hour ago, xkoote said:

What this means is that the autopilot is in a degraded mode. You should also have received the AUTOPILOT caution EICAS. Refer to start with in Chapter 4.20.2 (Page 660) of the FCOM. In your scenario it means that the autopilot roll mode has become degraded for some reason (Not specified in the FCOM). To troubleshoot I would verify my previous roll mode and check whether any of its sources are affected. For example, the IRS's, the FMC etc. It seems from your photo that you don't have an active route towards KLAS. Can this be the reason maybe?

Cheers,

I had a flight plan from KSFO to EGLL, and wanted to divert to KLAS, and I think this messed the FMC up, because I had forgot to program for a diversion to KLAS. 

That is probably it. The text in the FCOM is not clear enough for me to know exactly. Some airplanes go to HDG HOLD or some other basic mode when LNAV course guidance fails for whatever reason.

With the 747 - at least with the sequence you performed - the airplane went to its attitude stabilizing mode. To resolve this next time, switch to HDG SEL and aim your plane where you want it to go. When you aware of where you are and where you want to go, clean up the FMC and then re-engage LNAV.

Happy travels,

Xander Koote

All round aviation geek

1st Officer Boeing 777

22 hours ago, Robert3512 said:

Also, how do I even edit a reply? This is so confusing, which is not really helped by your overtly curt attitude towards a new user, is it?

This response is uncalled for, particularly in light of Chris welcoming you to the forum, and going out of his way to be nice about it. His response in no way makes me think 'curt' (that's usually my role in the forum - I'm the cold Norse battleaxe). The signature thing is important here, and it makes sense that we'd ask for this prior to offering support if you read the post he linked to.

Your issue is actually probably caused by your hardware. Take off, put yourself on AP, and then pull your hardware out (whichever device controls roll). If the issue goes away, it's your hardware interfering.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

On 12/27/2017 at 9:03 PM, scandinavian13 said:

This response is uncalled for, particularly in light of Chris welcoming you to the forum, and going out of his way to be nice about it. His response in no way makes me think 'curt' (that's usually my role in the forum - I'm the cold Norse battleaxe). The signature thing is important here, and it makes sense that we'd ask for this prior to offering support if you read the post he linked to.

Your issue is actually probably caused by your hardware. Take off, put yourself on AP, and then pull your hardware out (whichever device controls roll). If the issue goes away, it's your hardware interfering.

I don't have any peripherals except the mouse and keyboard.  

42 minutes ago, Robert3512 said:

I don't have any peripherals except the mouse and keyboard.  

Not even a yoke? So you're using the Mouse As Yoke function?

Kyle Rodgers

14 minutes ago, Robert3512 said:

Yes. I have nothing else except for a mouse and keyboard.

That's probably it. Nudging the mouse while the AP is active is seen as a control input. To be honest, if you're into the realism our products are intended to provide, even a basic flight stick would be a huge improvement.

Kyle Rodgers