Sign in to follow this  
GCBraun

2017 was the best year in FS history - some considerations of current market trends (P3D, XP11, FSX, etc)

3 hours ago, HumptyDumpty said:

throw all the other sims out the window let's play il2 

I've had it for years in all of its iterations...avionics are too simplistic.

spacer.png

1 minute ago, Boomer said:

I've had it for years in all of its iterations...avionics are too simplistic.

Yes , but having no cockpit interaction when in combat does help but again even with interaction the key combos can be used. I like the engine management once you switch off the HUD.

I just got it recently a few days ago, I like the feel of flight in il2 probably the best in ww2 aircraft for ME. An extensive DCS user but I consider il2  a better platform for WW2 props IMO.  It's the kind of simming I like especially props

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

1 hour ago, HumptyDumpty said:

Yes , but having no cockpit interaction when in combat does help but again even with interaction the key combos can be used. I like the engine management once you switch off the HUD.

I just got it recently a few days ago, I like the feel of flight in il2 probably the best in ww2 aircraft for ME. An extensive DCS user but I consider il2  a better platform for WW2 props IMO.  It's the kind of simming I like especially props

I actually consider some bits of IL2 to be a glimpse into the future, in particular their clouds, which hold together perfectly as truly 3d formations in VR.

In a world of increasingly ubiquitous VR, rotating billboard clouds may be on their last legs.

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

2 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

In a world of increasingly ubiquitous VR, rotating billboard clouds may be on their last legs.

This! Hopefully it will force all the major players to give us clouds that actually behave as 3D clouds.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Indeed,

I praise "il-2 battle of ..."  as probably the most enjoyable prop aircraft simulation I have ever used, together with DCS and it's ww2 modules.

They both share the very top of my sim score, with me ending up playing il2 more than DCS, and all summed up, even preferring IL2 to DCS since I mostly play ww2 fighters these days... and the immersion provided by IL-2 given the number of available maps, aircraft of all sorts and their damage models, is IMO superior in IL-2 at the moment, although ED is about to introduce the new damage model physics starting with their ww2 modules.

When it comes to cockpit interaction, and even the graphical quality of the cockpits, I prefer DCS. 

But for 3d and cockpit views, speially when using TIR5, again IL2 wins...

For the helis and jet fighters, no chance to any other but DCS...

Together, "IL2 Battle of" and "DCS World" are my sims of choice.

I keep XP11, while I wait for a good weather engine, but I seldom play it...although I do see it's potential, and really like the smoothness it runs with in my old rig, even at mid/high graphics settings... 

So, indeed for me, 2017 was a Great Year for Flight Simulation, and the Uninstaller in me has toned down :-)  - DCS and IL2 are kept safe in my disk, for months !!!!

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

13 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

I actually consider some bits of IL2 to be a glimpse into the future, in particular their clouds, which hold together perfectly as truly 3d formations in VR.

Yes il2 clouds look nice and perform great , but they look a bit odd when underneath the layer around 1000 ft below when i look up at them. though close they look terrific.

yeah even DCS has the  rotating clouds issue.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus