Sign in to follow this  
rstough

REX Sky Force - Cloud Model Sync Explanation

6 minutes ago, carlito777 said:

I don‘t want you to do anything. Just want Reed to give an explanation. Nothing else. He is the OP of this thread, isn‘t he?

BTW: If you read my text properly, then you can see that I labelled those who are asking questions as the fools. So myself for example. Not you. Read properly before accusing me of anything please 

I  think that David  done  a  great  job  in reviewing  the  sf  and  was  one of the  reasons that i had  purchased  and  like  yourself  had as16  and  asca  and  was  quite  happy  with it.  Now  that i have  ditched  asca  and  now  run  as16  with  sf   and   havnt looked  back

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

1 hour ago, Nyxx said:

Its then using the set of 8 and within that 8 using the hard or soft options within the set to sync with the cloud structures as needed So it's syncing the texture (texture sync) to match the structures.

I know you don't want to discuss SF anymore with me but you are simply wrong here. There is no set of 8. Why do you keep on saying that. Reed said this about those 8 pictures: "What you see in the interface is just a highlight but not ALL." So there are even MORE kinds of clouds within one set!!!

Secondly, it is not syncing the texture, it is simpy USING it, which is the exact same situation as it was before. Reed clearly says the models READ the sheets. Just like it has always been the case. Nothing has changed in that regard. When the word sync is used it is meant to say that new files are added on the fly to the sim. The structures are being synced, just as with ASCA cloud and sky textures are being synced. In SF the cloud textures are not being synced, they are used/read just as before. Saying the textures are synced is fooling people into believing it is the same process as in ASCA. It is not.

1 hour ago, Nyxx said:

So no you don't need to "manually" pick what to use unless you want to. Dont state you have to do like its a fact because it's not true.

Yes. you DO! I seriously can't believe you are saying this! NOTHING has changed in this regard compared to REX Direct and previous versions! You have to MANUALLY pick and INSTALL a set and ONLY that set will be used in the sim.

27 minutes ago, carlito777 said:

Honestly, I don‘t understand why all the REX lovers keep posting those „I see great looking clouds, so why don‘t you other fools stop asking questions about SF?“

I have to agree here. I BOUGHT SF but now I am still not 'allowed' to talk about what's wrong with it? Seriously? Does having bought something mean that I have to like it, have to praise and have to stop saying what's wrong with it or ask how it actually works? Come on, that would be really silly.

49 minutes ago, David Roch said:

Same feeling here.
And honestly, I don't care that cloud textures are not changing while flying.
I don't spend my time comparing them, I am just enjoying the environment as part of the immersion, and concentrate on flying.

I am not saying I hate SF! I will keep on using! My skies look better, more immersive, etc.! I am not bashing SF! I am just pointing we have been misinformed and no one can deny that. EVERYONE thought that SF was injecting cloud textures on the fly and now we find out this is not the case everyone suddenly says 'O, what the heck, I don't care' while yesterday this was THE FEATURE everyone loved about SF. I simply don't understand that.

I totally agree that in the end it's all about the quality of what we see and if it looks good, it's great, but if there is something wrong with it or if we have been misinformed there is nothing wrong with simply saying this.

What surprises me the most is that it is clear that what everyone was praising about SF, cloud textures being injected into the sim automically without the need of manually picking and installing sets, turns out to not be the case, everyone suddenly doesn't care about that feature anymore. But well.

28 minutes ago, carlito777 said:

I see great looking clouds, so why don‘t you other fools stop asking questions about SF?

Ok, lost in translation.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

@carlito777

I don't consider myself as an XXX lover.
I say that I enjoy a product for giving an opinion, participating to a debate, not at all for making the developer happy.

As a user, I believe I can say that I don't care about how many different clouds I will cross during my flight, I just enjoy what I see compared to my previous experience with other similar products.
Is that being a word not allowed?

Now, I perfectly agree, every information within the hype and the marketing stuff should be clear and limpid and this is not the case with SF, so questions are absolutly legitimate on the forum.

• Upvote 1

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

1 minute ago, carlito777 said:

Honestly, I don‘t understand why all the REX lovers keep posting those „I see great looking clouds, so why don‘t you other fools stop asking questions about SF?“ responses. I‘m a potential customer who has a question on the product and it is absolutely legit to ask those questions on a forum. For me, it is not enough to somehow see nice looking skys and clouds as I already have this with AS16 + ASCA. That is not enough for me to spend my hard earned cash on an add-on.  

I completely agree, Carlito.  BTW, I believe the vast majority agree with your notion; it's the vocal minority who continue to subvert the conversation.  To that point, I believe many are trying to ascertain SF3D actual capabilities, before handing over $45.00.  After all, I believe it's marketed as more than mere texture replacements?  Like you, I'm trying to see what 'ground breaking' features SF brings to the table, beyond new textures.    

Concerning the misinformation, this seems to be standard operating procedures with REX's products.  We've seen this before with most of their new releases (e.g. World Wide Airports (see below) and their new weather radar).  It's the exact same paradigm repeating itself over and over again.  At some point, I'm hoping Mr. Stough will contemplate that he and his marketers maybe the genesis of said misinformation; specifically, their penchant to overstate, or exaggerate, the capabilities of their software.  I believe that's why simmers are having such a hard time giving thier hard earned money to REX.  Given the recent comments from PMDG's Mr. Randazzo, and others, I don't believe this is unfair criticism(see below). I hope that REX is able to get their house in-order and continue to produce outstanding textures.  

In closing, I believe we, the consumers, have a right to be skeptical of REX's claims as their track record to date is relatively poor.  So, keep asking questions and see if this software is right for you.... 

• Upvote 2

Matt King

6 minutes ago, J van E said:

I am not saying I hate SF! I will keep on using! My skies look better, more immersive, etc.! I am not bashing SF!

I didn't say that (?)
The lag with the forum's server makes it indeed difficult to communicate.

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

1 hour ago, Nyxx said:

I am now going to be frank with you J

I no longer want to talk about SF with you anymore.

This must be one of the most disappointing posts I've ever read on AVSIM. Simple because we see things differently and I am asking questions you don't want to talk to me about SF anymore? So you only want to talk to me about SF if I agree with you on SF? What is the use of a forum if we don't talk when in disagreement? Why is it wrong that I ask questions and point out mistakes? I really don't get it. If people don't want to talk to other people because they don't agree we might as well close down AVSIM and any forum.

3 minutes ago, David Roch said:

@carlito777

I don't consider myself as an XXX lover.
I say that I enjoy a product for giving an opinion, participating to a debate, not at all for making the developer happy.

As a user, I believe I can say that I don't care about how many different clouds I will cross during my flight, I just enjoy what I see compared to my previous experience with other similar products.
Is that being a word not allowed?

Now, I perfectly agree, every information within the hype and the marketing stuff should be clear and limpid and this is not the case with SF, so questions are absolutly legitimate on the forum.

My point exactly. I like what I see in SF, I don't like the communication about it and I think the syncing option has been the main reason for all the confusion. That's all I wanted to point out. If this is a reason for people to not talk to me about this anymore, well, so be it.

1 minute ago, David Roch said:

I didn't say that (?)
The lag with the forum's server makes it indeed difficult to communicate.

I know! I also "am just enjoying the environment as part of the immersion" and I meant to say 'Me too, I am not hating SF". I actually typed that part before I quoted you but thought it was more appropriate underneath your quote. Anyway, I didn't mean to say you said or implied that. :happy:

No problem Jeroen, and please folks, let's forget our egos and give this thread a chance to live more than 6 hours! :-))

• Upvote 2

Best regards,
David Roch

20 minutes ago, kingm56 said:

So, keep asking questions and see if this software is right for you.... 

Will do. And for those who are still on the fence: REX Sky Force does add something new to the sim. This is not a review, this is simply what it offers in a few clear sentences without any hype included. :happy:

- SF comes with more and completely new cloud models which you have never seen before in a sim (obviously depending on the weather): the cloud models are synced on the fly if needed

- the cloud textures are doubled in size and contain more kinds of clouds than before (eliminating the need to load textures on the fly)

- SF comes with sky and cloud related textures and sounds (no water or runway textures) which you can select and install manually (by picking sets or combining sets into themes)

- SF has a basic weather engine, real time only: it doesn't do smooth redraws which is why a lot of people use other weather engines

- you can select which parts of SF you want to use or not so it can be combined with any other weather engine or even texture addon

- EDIT forgot to say that SF also comes with PTA presets integrated: the presets will also load appropriate sky textures

Well, that's it in a nutshell.

17 minutes ago, J van E said:

What surprises me the most is that it is clear that what everyone was praising about SF, cloud textures being injected into the sim automically without the need of manually picking and installing sets, turns out to not be the case, everyone suddenly doesn't care about that feature anymore. But well.

I would like to ask a sincere question to those staunchly supporting REX.  Why doesn't this practice bother you?  Yes, they produce GREAT textures; however, doesn't the fact they misrepresent (purposely or inadvertently) their software have an impact on you, as it relates to consumerism?  I'm not trying to start an argument, I really want to understand your position; after all, I could be wrong...I'm opened to that possibility!  

• Upvote 2

Matt King

8 minutes ago, J van E said:

This must be one of the most disappointing posts I've ever read on AVSIM. Simple because we see things differently and I am asking questions you don't want to talk to me about SF anymore? So you only want to talk to me about SF if I agree with you on SF?

You really need to think your replies out before posting J, How many time have I replied to you about SF when you have done nothing put bash it. Do you want me to link them all because it would fill pagers. Frankly finding one that we agree on would be hard. So don't make statement that I only want to talk to you if we agree. What a ridiculous thing to say.

The reason why I won't discuss SF with you anymore is like your reply 5 up from the one quoted here, your a long time friend and you know I will do anything to help you out. But no more on the topic of SF. 

If you wish to ask me anything else or I can help you in anyway do so. Because I will always be happy to help you. SF is not worth hurting that relationship over. I value that relationship far more than a cloud program. 

• Upvote 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

2 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

If you wish to ask me anything else or I can help you in anyway do so. Because I will always be happy to help you. SF is not worth hurting that relationship over. I value that relationship far more than a cloud program. 

Understood and clear and agreed, David!

Well I've been simming for many years now and have purchased every weather engine and every cloud texture program going.

I do this solely to try it, give it a go. Some I like some I don't. It is without doubt active sky is the best weather engine and for me I've really enjoyed Rex soft cloud textures. I have bought every Rex texture product released and have admired the way they have often given us free upgrades.

There is obviously some disappointment that the new product isn't what some thought it would be, I am yet to install it as I've been ill all week, but I have purchased it.

I think about the sad loss of earth simulations who made photo sceneries with hand placed autogen because not enough simmers bothered to purchase it, why wouldn't a flight simmer want real scenery below them with all the buildings, bridges and trees etc properly placed to match real world.

How unhappy do we get when we lose good add on developers, just think before you slam someone down.

I am still looking forward to trying skyforce 3d.

• Upvote 5

<p>vrs_supporter.png

Paul Sleight

18 minutes ago, sleightflight said:

How unhappy do we get when we lose good add on developers, just think before you slam someone down.

I am still looking forward to trying skyforce 3d.

Paul, first, I hope you feel better soon.  Concerning this statement, I don't agree with your notion; specifically, I believe sites like AVSIM exist to provide hobbyist with the ability to compare, contrast and critique flight sim products. I believe this provides an invaluable service to our community.  Also, it's not 'slamming' if you're able to make cogent arguments supported by facts.  I also don't agree with buying products blindly, as you suggest.  Instead, I believe each product and company should be judged on their merits.  Deviation from this idea is how companies like Airsimmer and Blackbox emerge; in short, AVSIM provides a firewall from unfair marketing practices.  Finally, I wouldn't buy a product because you fear said company will leave the market space.  If they do, I assure you another company will emerge, if a market exists.  For example, when Aces closed down, no less than four companies (e.g. FSW, P3D, Xplane and Aerofly) saw an opportunity to exploit the flight sim market.  Flight Sim has been around for 40 years, developers have come and gone, but one thing remains constant...as long a market exists, someone will fill it.... 

Again, I hope you feel better soon, sir!  

• Upvote 3

Matt King