Sign in to follow this  
raptor1

Need setup for best frame rate

Hello fellow X-Plane 11 simmers,

I just installed X-Plane  11 on my computer,

and need recommendations on how to get the best frame rates.

My Specs are,

Windows 7 Home Premium,

AMD Radeon HD 7800,Asus B85M-G v.2,

Intel core i5 446 3.2 GHZ , 8GB ram.

I also have X-Life installed.

Thanks

don't we all!

No joke - this is a very common topic to every user here.

basically

1.reboot with a clean system. Have as few other things running as possible.

2.exclude your flight sim folder from any anti virus software

3.turn off XP AI aircraft - don't have any at all

4. don't install any plugins (yet)

5. load a default aircraft (ie the C172) and at a very basic airfield. Not places like LAX. Just a simple country strip with little scenery or buildings.

6.put graphics settings to minimum. Especially turn OFF reflections. Completely. If you are not getting a good framerate at this point, you may need to look at your hardware. Run from an SSD drive perhaps. You need to get 20+ fps.

7. start moving up the graphics settings until you get around 30fps. You need this at least as a starting point. When you are happy with this, add back your plugins one by one. Then try loading your favorite aircraft. If you are still above 20-25 then all good.

You really need to be above 30 all the time in most areas. This is so that when you fly into a scenery dense area, you will still only drop to something >20fps.

All the best.

• Upvote 1

I7-6700k 32 gig RAM, NVIDIA GTX-980 TI 6G RAM, GTX-460, Saitek X55 throttle, Combat rudder pedals, CH Eclipse yoke,TrackIR 5, 5 monitors (main is 40" 4k), Corsair K95 RGB k/b, Win 7 x64. X-Plane XP 11.1+

7 hours ago, kneighbour said:

Run from an SSD drive perhaps.

I tried this with no improvement.  It seems that once loaded, it runs as well as it's going to...   SSD, SSHD, or regular hard drive.  I've tried all three.  Loading times might improve but that's about it.

John

John Wingold

2 hours ago, Old_As_Dirt said:

I tried this with no improvement.  It seems that once loaded, it runs as well as it's going to...   SSD, SSHD, or regular hard drive.  I've tried all three.  Loading times might improve but that's about it.

An SSD won't meaningfully improve X-Plane performance unless you're constantly running out of RAM and the simulator needs to frequently fetch new data from the hard drive.  But in that case, more RAM is the correct solution as opposed to a faster hard drive.  Otherwise, open the settings menu and start moving the sliders to the left until you get consistent frame rates, although it might not look as pretty.