Sign in to follow this  
FlyBaby

Help with DCS 2.5 visuals???

I am new to DCS and just downloaded 2.5 based on some ads I saw yesterday.

However, I am unable to get the same visuals as many vid / pics I see. In addition, because I am new to DCS forums, I have not been granted access rights to post, ask /  contribute to conversations.

There is one thread (https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=201004&page=2), where a poster has a similar problem like below...(flat lime green trees)

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/287529368819990539/408251189663236106/Screen_180131_141720.png

after some tweaks, he was able to obtain this....

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/391932420993318914/408668175966666762/Screen_180201_171113.png

but I don't know what all he did to get it working. I have both disabled and enabled "deferred shading", but I see no difference. 

Does anyone know the proper steps to get things working right? I have "all" graphics on max and I have a GTX 1080.

Not sure if this helps you but the last thread in that topic says:

"same here deffered shadding helps a lot... but had to deactivate FXAA and MSAA..."

I would help further but i have been downloading DCS2.5 all day, currently surging in at 1MB/s.  The trees look like the terrible ones you get in P3Dv4 out of the box, Speed-Trees, i turned them off in P3D and replaced them with ORBX...not really an option in DCS i know.

Ian R Tyldesley

Interesting. In the post you mention, the author says he disabled FXAA and MSAA. I've only seen MSAA settings. I wonder if he was using a 3rd party injector?

I deleted the options.lua before running 2.5, but still have this nagging that I'm missing some settings.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

2 minutes ago, RichieFly said:

Interesting. In the post you mention, the author says he disabled FXAA and MSAA. I've only seen MSAA settings. I wonder if he was using a 3rd party injector?

I deleted the options.lua before running 2.5, but still have this nagging that I'm missing some settings.

At the risk of sounding like the MultiVAC i do not have enough data to give an answer.

I am still downloading the 2.5 installation, but the pics the OP has provided looked very much like my P3D installation with the Dynamic Vegetation turned on; i run MSAA with P3D, so perhaps it might be a fix across the board.

Ian R Tyldesley

I just spent a few minutes looking at the settings and each map.

I don't think there's a FXAA setting, so that must mean he was using an injector.

My impression is it looks great. I'm getting great frame rates. The new effects are great. The trees can look a bit strange depending on the sun angle and your relative position to the trees. I can live with that.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

So to get it to look like the promo and 'wags' videos you have to run deferred shading set to 'ON'

Once you do this, the Nvidia driver profiles do nothing at all, nada when it comes to AA. All the people on about MFAA and FXAA in nvidia profiles are getting pacebo effect. Yes, the FPS goes up but its because in reality they have no AA applied at all!

I'm very happy with my performance and eye candy level.

2x MSAA, 16x AF set in game. 4x and 8x kills perf at least on my 1070

'high' graphics profile but with civilian traffic set to low, shadows to 'flat',  512 res displays. Vsync on and pretty much pegged at 60 fps.

2 hours ago, GHarrall said:

So to get it to look like the promo and 'wags' videos you have to run deferred shading set to 'ON'

Once you do this, the Nvidia driver profiles do nothing at all, nada when it comes to AA. All the people on about MFAA and FXAA in nvidia profiles are getting pacebo effect. Yes, the FPS goes up but its because in reality they have no AA applied at all!

I'm very happy with my performance and eye candy level.

2x MSAA, 16x AF set in game. 4x and 8x kills perf at least on my 1070

'high' graphics profile but with civilian traffic set to low, shadows to 'flat',  512 res displays. Vsync on and pretty much pegged at 60 fps.

In the thread I referenced, someone said that he had to set deferred shading "off" first and then set it back to "on" to get it to work. I will try this when I get a chance. 

I recall setting it to off, with hdr on, and then back on. But I saw no change at all, just flat-like lime green trees, 

Theres two ways you can run it depending on your system. 

High end GPU 1070 +  defered shading on with minimal MSAA 

you need to lower the gamma to a comfortable level but it still wont be that good. With the gamma lowered all windows and rivers pretty much anything that reflects is black.

if your GPU isnt that good 

defered shading off and ignore the trees. 

They have made some mistakes in the textures when defered shading is off, they are far too bright and this is also affecting the cockpit lighting(taking lighting from the runway etc.) 

Its actually in alpha at the moment so some changes will come soon. TBH it wasnt ready for public release. 

I personally went back to 1.5.8 because I can run it practically on max settings and it looks better than 2.5 (think people staying with FS9 not going to FSX), which is a shame because i  bought the nevada and normandy maps (in total about $80) and i cant use them until either they fix the lighting with defered shading off or i buy a GPU for approx $500, tbh it seems like i will never be able to use them at anything more than low settings.

If it was me i would try 1.5.8. obviously the trailer and for 2.5 made you want to try it, you may be surprised by the quality of 1.5.8 and it also runs very well on VR. If you wait for a sale which happens quite often  you could get a full fidelity aircraft for $25 ish or buy the FC3 pack which gives a few low fidelity aircraft. I have the harrier and the viggen for example and they are awesome

also there are some memory usage problems, especially in multiplayer. it will take memory until its all used and it crashes, doesnt matter if you have 24 32 64 or 10000 gb of memory it uses it all up. 

in single player i hit 8gb just loading the map

Its actually open beta 2.5, not alpha. But still......

Release version is only a week or so away so I cant imagine they will be able to fix a ton of stuff in that time frame. Unless they delay the release version of 2.5 of course.

On 02/02/2018 at 2:09 PM, GHarrall said:

Its actually open beta 2.5, not alpha. But still......

i get confused myself either way full like you said the release version is coming. I will stick with 1.5.8 until at least then 

On 2/2/2018 at 4:15 AM, FlyBaby said:

I am new to DCS and just downloaded 2.5 based on some ads I saw yesterday.

However, I am unable to get the same visuals as many vid / pics I see.  I have "all" graphics on max and I have a GTX 1080.

You have a GTX1080, and it renders worse than what a 970 would.. here`s a direct link to my results using a GTX980TI Here

So you need to spend some time and research the ED forums when your able too, looking among the 100`s of posts on setting up graphics for your DCS, in short no one can do it for you! Honestly it`s learned by trial and error, but a good place to start is ignore others settings and try for yourself.

tpewpb-6.png

2.5 still buggy , I would give ED sometime before things are sorted out.

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus