Sign in to follow this  
danb

GTN 750 database update from 'real' GTN

I'm thinking about purchasing Reality XP GTN 750.  I do own an aircraft installed GTN 750 and am subscribed to database updates.  I do my updates via an iPad and FlightStream.

Is there a way to get the real world databases into the sim version?  I suppose I could download to an SD if need be.

Presumably it'll also use jep charts? (or do I have to buy an 'enablement' :-) 

I believe it is very expensive for someone, like myself, just using it for flight simulation, but if you're getting real-world updates for your aircraft equipped with the real GTN 750, I would contact Garmin to see if your database would also work with your simulator.

I guess that can be done, just check the files that you have in your ssd for the real GTN and check if they match with the files in the trainer, the GTN in the simulator uses the trainer, that i think you have access with your garmin subscription, and yes jep charts!

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

2 hours ago, danb said:

I do own an aircraft installed GTN 750 and am subscribed to database updates. 

I would have to believe that since you are a licensed owner, and, Garmin licenses their trainer and trainer database to flight sim oriented product developers, that a call to Garmin might be in order in your case. 

I have read here that for one or both of the Garmin GPS lines, GNS and GTN, that the format of the database changed.  So the trainers that the current sim products are based on may not be able to use more recent databases.

• Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Me to Garmin:

"Hi, Is it legal to update my GTN trainer databases with current cycles of a OnePack subscription?"

... some back and forth to point at the right sim ... https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/95993  -  PC Trainer for the GTN Series PART NUMBER: 010-00478-00  ... which I also did receive as part of my GTN installation.  So I'm definitely licensed to use the PC Trainer.

Garmin to me:

"Dan,
There is no way to update the databases on the trainer. They are there for reference, not for navigation, so no feature to update them was added, and there are no plans to do that in the future."

So Garmin didn't address my question - instead they stated that updating the databases was not possible.  So if it can't be done, it can't be a violation of the licensing agreement ;-)

Seriously though, a conservative interpretation of this is 'not legal' ... and I'm not going to risk my data subscription for my airplane.

1 hour ago, danb said:

Me to Garmin:

"Hi, Is it legal to update my GTN trainer databases with current cycles of a OnePack subscription?"

... some back and forth to point at the right sim ... https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/95993  -  PC Trainer for the GTN Series PART NUMBER: 010-00478-00  ... which I also did receive as part of my GTN installation.  So I'm definitely licensed to use the PC Trainer.

Garmin to me:

"Dan,
There is no way to update the databases on the trainer. They are there for reference, not for navigation, so no feature to update them was added, and there are no plans to do that in the future."

So Garmin didn't address my question - instead they stated that updating the databases was not possible.  So if it can't be done, it can't be a violation of the licensing agreement ;-)

Seriously though, a conservative interpretation of this is 'not legal' ... and I'm not going to risk my data subscription for my airplane.

I update mine monthly from my real world databases. There are no utilities, you just have to know where to go.

39540194314_7de019c74b_b.jpg

• Upvote 3

David Porrett

8 minutes ago, DavidP said:

I update mine monthly from my real world databases. Their are no utilities, you just have to know where to go.

+1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Right - I know *how* to do this.  It was suggested I check with Garmin whether it's permitted by the data licensing agreement.  I asked, but Garmin did not answer decisively.  I'm not going to pursue that further with Garmin.

On February 13, 2018 at 4:46 PM, DavidP said:

There is no way to update the databases on the trainer.

Hi, this most likely reads: "there is no service available to update the databases on the trainer". In other words: "there is no 'update' or 'subscribe' button readily available".

However, the GTN Trainer uses the same DB files as the real unit (more or less). 

What governs this all is the DB EULA (the Trainer EULA does not explicitly precludes using another DB with it, although it considers the trainer as a whole). However, IIRC, the JSUM EULA granted the right to use the Jeppesen DB both on real and simulated devices explicitly. (I can't find it back yet  - I've been digging tons of archives but failed so far).

• Upvote 1

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)