Are any of you out there using an Nvidia Titan video card. If so, are you satisfied with the performance?

I'm going to have a new machine built, and I want the most horsepower I can get for P3Dv4. Money really isn't a consideration. Thanks.

Pete Locascio

Pete Locascio

13 minutes ago, tamba765 said:

Are any of you out there using an Nvidia Titan video card. If so, are you satisfied with the performance?

I'm going to have a new machine built, and I want the most horsepower I can get for P3Dv4. Money really isn't a consideration. Thanks.

Pete Locascio

I have a GTX Titan. Part of a new build in early 2014. Runs fine as far as I can see. Graphics are great in FSX.

24 minutes ago, tamba765 said:

Pete Locascio

Hi Pete--I run P3dv4 with a first generation Titan Pascal and an overclocked 6700k. Extremely satisfied using it to run three 4k monitors in surround with ease. Make sure you overclock the card, as it makes a big difference.  Also I would strongly recommend the watercooled hydro version, which can safely have an even higher overclock.   I bought Nvidia's after market water cooler, but have not added it on yet. Had there been a hydro version available at the time I would have gotten that to begin with.

Jay

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

Are your frame rates good (above 24 or so) in high density scenery areas with weather, and at night with dynamic lighting on? That's where I'm having a lot of difficulty.

I see frame rates in the teens or sometimes single digits in these situations, with P3Dv4.

Pete Locascio

I have a NVidia Titan X card with a 7700K CPU.  On a 4K 42" TV with P3dV4 and any PMDG planes, I am > 60 fps with most sliders maxed out.  > 100 with default planes.

Paul Gugliotta

8 hours ago, paulyg123 said:

I have a NVidia Titan X card with a 7700K CPU.  On a 4K 42" TV with P3dV4 and any PMDG planes, I am > 60 fps with most sliders maxed out.  > 100 with default planes.

Over land? In weather?

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

Hey hey,

i Purchased a new system and currently i'm building it together :-)

7900x

32 gb ddr4 3200 mhz cl14

titan xp 12 gb watercooled

32 inch 4k g-sync monitor

1 tb samsung 960 evo

i can tell you hopefully in the midle of this week about Performance;-)

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

7 hours ago, MarkDH said:

Over land? In weather?

i'll give you an example:

I am sitting on runway KMCI on PMDG 737 with partly cloudy skies.  FPS is ~ 70fps.

I take off and at 5000 ft, I am 55-70 fps.

This is on a 42" 4K Samsung smart tv and a 2nd 30" samsung monitor.

Flytampa airports will knock it down a few fps.  The NYC area has always taken its toll and I can get 35-50 fps in the NYC area.  Where in Hawaii (I can get close to 90-100 fps) over water still in a PMDG plane.  The default planes make frame rates jump to steady 3 digit #'s.

V-SYNC off/fps set to unlimited.  Pretty smooth in my opinion.  Some chop in FlyTampa airports when taxiing.

I just cleared out all the weather to clear skies and it make no difference.    Ow I am level with Autopilot on at 8000 ft/no weather and 80 fps.

BTW I am flying with ASN and Ultimate traffic, so I do have a few liveries on the ground and ASN is set to live weather.

One more bit of info.  For the heck of it, I switched to 2D cockpit and fps fell to 40-46 fps.  So much for people wanting a 2D cockpit for better performance.

Edited by paulyg123
more info

Paul Gugliotta

26 minutes ago, paulyg123 said:

partly cloudy skies.  FPS is ~ 70fps.

I take off and at 5000 ft, I am 55-70 fps.

That's not really what I mean by 'in weather'. I am interested in what happens when you are flying in / around / through cloud layers and precipitation, as in my experience that dramatically affects performance. I use AS2016 with cloud layers limited (to 3 or 5, I forget), but weather is still a frame killer.

Perhaps these expensive cards can can have such a dramatic performance effect but such high frame rates with 4K seem implausible to me. On the other hand it's hard to get a real sense of what is 'normal' performance, as most people tend to report best frame rates with no attention to context (or usually even to screen resolution!)

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg

I have the latest Active Sky running now and I am doing the Spacial awareness scenario in Active Sky (JFK Jr crash) flight in a PMDG 777.  So the weather is set by Active Sky at night time.  Anyway I am seeing fps 40-50 in this scenario.  It is very hard to compare scenarios.   I don't know if this helps you, but a high end CPU and a real good video card will handle anything you need for P3Dv4 and a PMDG plane with as much add on scenery you throw at it.

All I know is I bought this computer over 1 year ago when the Titan X Pascal was the best card out there, 1 week later the 1080TI came out with equal performance but more than 1/2 the price.  Oh well! Oh and I did not do the build, Jetline Systems did the build, installed all all the software (P3D, PMDG planes, scenery, Active Sky, UT and so on)  and optimized, OC to 5 GHz,plus everything else  for the best performance possible.

Edited by paulyg123

Paul Gugliotta

9 hours ago, paulyg123 said:

I don't know if this helps you, but a high end CPU and a real good video card will handle anything you need for P3Dv4 and a PMDG plane with as much add on scenery you throw at it.

I don't have P3D or PMDG aircraft. I suppose it could be that P3D exploits the video card more than FSX. I am planning to try out P3Dv4 now I have a PC that's likely to run it properly.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg

From my testing with Riva Tuner P3Dv4 is still CPU dependent clock speed is still king.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg