Sign in to follow this  
Ecosse_821

Caranedo F50?

So has anyone tried the new Caranedo F50 yet?   I love high-wing turboprops, so it looks like a fun one for me to try, but I wanted to see if anyone has flown it yet.

David Norman Paul

Hi David,

there are already a number of threads about the plane. In short, it is good, but not as good as, say, the Majestic Dash 8.

Peter

Thanks Peter.  A moderator moved my post (originally posted in the FSX forum)  to this forum before I knew this forum was here!   From what I've gathered so far, it has some kinks to be worked out yet.   Seems like maybe the FMC is not very complete.  

I'll probably give it some time and see if the issues get resolved before I take the plunge.   Might go for the Leonardo Maddog X while I wait, lol!

David Norman Paul

As Peter said.
It is a nice aircraft, but if you really like turbo props incl. extensive system rendering there is only one choice: Majestic Q400.

Edited by Egbert Drenth

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

11 hours ago, Ecosse_821 said:

From what I've gathered so far, it has some kinks to be worked out yet.   Seems like maybe the FMC is not very complete.  

I would say it is Carenado's best aircraft yet - beautifully modelled from a visual viewpoint, pretty good flight dynamics and great sounds. However the FMC leaves a lot to be desired as you might gather from various other threads but if you own the GTN750 then that provides a great alternative, particularly if you incorporate Bert's mods.

If however you want a 'state of the art' simulation of a high wing turboprop with a functioning FMC, I would agree with the suggestions that the Majestic Q400 is the way to go.

Bill

2 hours ago, scianoir said:

I would say it is Carenado's best aircraft yet - beautifully modelled from a visual viewpoint, pretty good flight dynamics and great sounds. However the FMC leaves a lot to be desired as you might gather from various other threads but if you own the GTN750 then that provides a great alternative, particularly if you incorporate Bert's mods.

If however you want a 'state of the art' simulation of a high wing turboprop with a functioning FMC, I would agree with the suggestions that the Majestic Q400 is the way to go.

Bill

Thanks, Bill.  I already own the Majestic Q400, the PMDG JS4100, and the Aerosoft Twotter, as well as the CS C130, so I already have some nice turbos to play with.   The freeware HS748 is pretty fun as well.  There is even an FH-227 out there with a panel by Fraser MacKay that is an FS9 port that works well enough in FSX to be worthwhile.

I wonder if there are plans to fix whatever is wrong with the FMC in the F50.  I don't own the GTN750, and I don't plan to purchase it anytime soon.

• Upvote 1

David Norman Paul

2 minutes ago, Ecosse_821 said:

Thanks, Bill.  I already own the Majestic Q400, the PMDG JS4100, and the Aerosoft Twotter, as well as the CS C130, so I already have some nice turbos to play with.   The freeware HS748 is pretty fun as well.  There is even an FH-227 out there with a panel by Fraser MacKay that is an FS9 port that works well enough in FSX to be worthwhile.

I wonder if there are plans to fix whatever is wrong with the FMC in the F50.  I don't own the GTN750, and I don't plan to purchase it anytime soon.

You have most of the good turboprops then David! To be fair to CS I think the C-130 is very good and probably one of their best aircraft. I might try the FH-227 because although I have the Just Flight F-27, I find I don't fly it very much. If you are a turboprop fan, there is also a freeware L-188 Electra out there too which is not bad.

With regard to the FMC, Carenado FMCs have always been somewhat limited functionally and as they haven't been improved on previous releases, I wouldn't hold my breath for a fix from Carenado. The  FMC in the F50 however does function quite well from an LNAV viewpoint offering SIDS, STARS, etc but the only drawback is that it doesn't allow you to enter an airway. This might mean a little more time spent entering waypoints but on relatively short routes this probably wouldn't be a big issue. It is in the area of VNAV that the FMC really falls short though and the VNAV on it basically should be considered inoperable. But, saying that, it's very easy to fly the vertical profile using the ASEL, VS and ALT modes on the AP and gives you something to do during the flight! Despite its shortfalls I did actually really enjoy flying the aircraft using the FMC and AP for VNAV but as I already have the GTN750 I integrated that into the flight deck and now use that. 

The bottom line is that the Carenado F50 is a very nice aircraft and one I would certainly recommend for a turboprop enthusiast providing you are not expecting something of the level of the Q400.

Bill