jacf182

FMC FIX page: ToD ring

I know how to create a distance ring for any waypoint using the FIX page on the CDU.

I want to create a ring that extends 30nm from TOD. Is it possible to do it easily and directly, or do I have to create a waypoint that's close to TOD and then assign the ring to that waypoint?

I tried "T/D" and "TOD" on LSK1 but those are invalid entries, as I thought they would be.

I've searched on Google and this forum, but have not found an answer.

Thanks!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I think the entry on the FIX page has to be something in the 737 FMC database --  a waypoint, navaid, or an airport. I don't know if there is a way to add a user-created waypoint to the database; it seems that it would be prohibited, although a user-created waypoint can be added to the LEGS page. I think I read somewhere that a user-created waypoint may be added to the 777 FIX page but not the FIX page for the 747 or 737. If I'm wrong, someone will surely provide the correct information. The distance to TOD is shown in the FMC.

Jim Erwin

17 hours ago, jacf182 said:

I want to create a ring that extends 30nm from TOD

Why?  To what end? What problem are you trying to solve?  Both the progress and descent pages show distance to TOD when within about 200 nm of it.  The TOD is not a waypoint or a fix and it can change with changes in multiple variables such as CI, winds, speeds, etc.  I will start descent planning about 40-80 nm before TOD so in a way I can understand this request expect that the information is readily available on the CDU.

Thank you for your replies. I'm aware that the distance to TOD is available on the CDU.

My problem is I'm waiting for a new monitor to arrive, old one died. In the mean time, I'm using a cheap low resolution projector that makes it difficult to read distance to TOD without requiring me to zoom in on the CDU, so a ring on the ND would make things easier. But now I understand why it cannot be done.

Cheers.

You can estimate it by using the runway as a fix then adding a distance ring 3 x your cruise altidude, which is a common approximation of your top of decent and then just add another 30nm or whatever you want.