Recommended Posts

Hello!

I would like to upgrade my i7-4790k to the i5-8600k. I would have to pay about 70 euros more, if I sell my old motherboard, RAM and CPU. Will I notice a big difference?

My GPU is GTX 1080 and I'm planning to get 16GB of RAM. Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

7 minutes ago, okupton said:

Wouldn’t that be a downgrade in CPU? 

I don't think so. It is the latest i5 and it's supposed to have better performance than the i7-7700k.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t know enough about it, but I think your I7 is still pretty powerful and would yield better results than even a 8 gen i5. I’ve been investigating a bit as I was considering the same move to i5 from a i7 3770

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

You may do better, both cost and performance wise, to get just a newer motherboard, a water cpu cooler, and overclock your I7. Many of the newer motherboards are "one-click" overclocks. 

EDIT: Here is a comparison of stock CPUs. Hard to say how this would translate to performance in FSX with its single core dependency. Likely the 8600 would do better with XPlane or P3Dv4.

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-8600K/2384vs3941

Edited by Henry Street

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Henry Street said:

You may do better, both cost and performance wise, to get just a newer motherboard, a water cpu cooler, and overclock your I7. Many of the newer motherboards are "one-click" overclocks. 

EDIT: Here is a comparison of stock CPUs. Hard to say how this would translate to performance in FSX with its single core dependency. Likely the 8600 would do better with XPlane or P3Dv4.

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-8600K/2384vs3941

I don't really like the idea of getting an older motherboard and a water cooler just to overclock. I think a new platform would be better, but thank you for the suggestion.

Also I'm using P3Dv4 and maybe I will try X-Plane too sometime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, CaptainSaint said:

I don't think so. It is the latest i5 and it's supposed to have better performance than the i7-7700k.

 

The 15 8600k is six cores and no hyper-threading. Base frequency is 3.60. Turbo frequency (not on all cores) is 4.30. Activate MCE in the BIOS and all cores will turbo to 4.30. And no, absolutely not, you do not need an AIO water cooler to overclock. I favour the Noctua NH-D15S.  Delidd the 8600K and 5 GHz is realistic with the D15.

It will  function great in flight sim.

Will it perform better than your  i7-4790k? Only marginally! 8% faster single core performance at stock frequencies.

However, the 8600K is clocked lower than the 4790K, so overclocked to the same frequency things look brighter. I would guess something like 19% better clock for clock. So perhaps the question to ask is how high you currently clock your i7-4790k? If you match that frequency you can expect a reasonable improvement. Plus the fact that the new platform will accommodate faster ram too. I'm making some assumptions but I would guess at 30 FPS you would see something like 35 FPS.

That's my take on it anyway. If I'm wrong, so be it, but that would be my estimate.

 

 

 

Edited by martin-w
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, martin-w said:

 

The 15 8600k is six cores and no hyper-threading. Base frequency is 3.60. Turbo frequency (not on all cores) is 4.30. Activate MCE in the BIOS and all cores will turbo to 4.30. And no, absolutely not, you do not need an AIO water cooler to overclock. I favour the Noctua NH-D15S.  Delidd the 8600K and 5 GHz is realistic with the D15.

It will  function great in flight sim.

Will it perform better than your  i7-4790k? Only marginally! 8% faster single core performance at stock frequencies.

However, the 8600K is clocked lower than the 4790K, so overclocked to the same frequency things look brighter. I would guess something like 19% better clock for clock. So perhaps the question to ask is how high you currently clock your i7-4790k? If you match that frequency you can expect a reasonable improvement. Plus the fact that the new platform will accommodate faster ram too. I'm making some assumptions but I would guess at 30 FPS you would see something like 35 FPS.

That's my take on it anyway. If I'm wrong, so be it, but that would be my estimate.

 

 

 

you ar spot on Martin, the 8600k clock atleast 200mhz higher then 4790k , avarege samples of both cpus

20-24% is a reasonable improvment, even in FSX

 

Edited by westman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now