Sign in to follow this  
Pidder

aircraftx64.cfg - why this additional file?

The SF340 not only shows a normal aircraft.cfg but also an aircraftx64.cfg. Anyone knows why we need both files, what is the x64.cfg for? Never seen this in other P3D/FSX airplanes.

Allways three greens,
Markus

VFR-Flightsimmer.de

Might be needed for P3D Version 4.

Charlie Aron

AVSIM Board of Directors-Moderator-Registrar

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

May be you're right, Charlie. But i want to know for what reason there is a second x64 aircraft.cfg. All default planes from P3Dv4 do not have a second aircraft.cfg. And i did not found any other plane with such a file, only the Carenado Saab 340.

Allways three greens,
Markus

VFR-Flightsimmer.de

13 minutes ago, Pidder said:

May be you're right, Charlie. But i want to know for what reason there is a second x64 aircraft.cfg. All default planes from P3Dv4 do not have a second aircraft.cfg. And i did not found any other plane with such a file, only the Carenado Saab 340.

The only explanation I can give is that the Carenado Saab 340 is for both FSX and P3D (which includes P3D ver 4.2 or whatever is the latest)  P3D v4 is 64 bit only and needs the proper aircraft.cfg and possibly panel.cfg and associated gauges, mainly sound gauges.  Several freeware aircraft by Milton Shupe and Manfred Jahn also include these .cfgs for use in P3D v4.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

No idea what they are for, the model files also have duplicates..

In P3DV4.0. I can remove the x64 versions without any problem.. (saving up some disk space..)

Is P3DV4.2. different?

Bert

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

No idea what they are for, the model files also have duplicates..

In P3DV4.0. I can remove the x64 versions without any problem.. (saving up some disk space..)

Is P3DV4.2. different?

Bert,  I don't know for absolute sure about Version 4.2.  I just know a lot of folks, especially on the SOH forums complaining about FSX downloads not working for them.

Charlie Aron

I have had a problem with selecting the sim version because of a flickering selection window. I could only install the P3Dv3 version while i really need the P3Dv4 version. One would think that installing the P3Dv3 version into P3Dv4 would work by doing so and then change the normal MDL file and aircraft.cfg into the enclosed x64 versions. So i tried that but the SF340 remained dead as a dodo.

Called Carenado and they said exactly the same be it 'quote' : To run the P3Dv3 version of the aircraft on P3Dv4 you should locate all the x64 files and delete the x64 part in the filename. 'unquote'.

I could not find any other files than the MDL file an aircraft.cfg that have an x64 copy.... 

In the end i had to fall back to 'trickery' to get my SF340 working correctly in P3Dv4.2 ( if anyone is interested in what exactly this trickery consisted of i'm happy to explain... 😉  Personally i think it's a true beauty, very happy with it despite a couple bugs. 

@ Bert Pieke :

i was still on P3Dv4.0 when i bought the new Aerosoft DC-8. Got a big white flickering wall in the VC.... Forum said because of the truckload of clickspots in the VC it deffinately needs P3Dv4.2 to run correctly. So i upgraded my P3Dv4 client to 4.2, flickering white wall is gone indeed but now the Ctrl/Shift/Enter/Back key combo's don't work anymore to move about my special custom 'aircraft spotter' view mode. Not happy with that at all because it's my fav view mode ( walk/run around any airport and stand along runways to watch my take-off's and landings).

Haven't got a clue if it is überhaupt possible to go back from v4.2 to v4.0 but if it could i sure would! (Aerosoft says a patch for the flickering wall problem is in the works).

Cheers,
jan

Jan

My best guess would be that the x64 variants of these files may be for future LM P3D V4 implementations. 

Perhaps this is an effort to minimise or control how FSX/P3D V1-3 aircraft are presently being successfully ported into P3D V4.

We are possibly seeing a similar movement with regard to LM’s push for XML as opposed to CFG implementation files.

The concept being to ensure developer AND user compliance to new standards in an effort to move away from legacy products.

However, a cynic might interpret this as s drive towards costlier “Professional Series” only product management, if you see what I mean.

Mr Fabio Lagattolla

"It's better to be on the ground wishing you were flying, than flying but wishing you were on the ground!"

Late to the party on this by about 5 years, but in the readme.txt file there is a notation to use the x64 version of the aircraft.cfg for P3D 4 ( tho not stated, this also applies for v5..not sure if it will work for  v.6.)

Anyway, back up the default aircraft.cfg then, rename aircraft.cfgx64 to aircraft.cfg. 
that should get you up and flying.

sherm