Sign in to follow this  
CavalierDuck

Coming soon: RAF 100 Tour

This year, Britain's Royal Air Force is celebrating its centenary and there are real world commemoration events planned throughout the summer. So I thought we could join in with a couple of RAF-themed Saturday flights.

RAFHawk.jpg?dl=1

After this weekend's PNW trip, the following two weekends (12th and 19th May) will be a tour of RAF bases past and present.  The well-known Mach Loop low level training area in Wales might also figure.  As not everyone is a regular fast jet pilot, I am posting this advance notice so you can get some practice in!

The plan will be designed with subsonic jets in mind; these could include the Hawk/Goshawk, L-39, Sabre, F-100 (if you don't go mad with it), Canberra, Hunter... just a few suggestions. If you don't have something suitable already, I have checked out some of the better FSX freeware options and they seem fine in P3D v4 (links below). And of course there are also the P3D default military jets.  If you really don't fancy a jet, a warbird or fast GA would work, I would suggest something that can do 250kts or more.

Aermacchi MB326 - Dino Cattaneo

Dino's website: http://indiafoxtecho.blogspot.co.uk/

MB326 download on AVSIM

Boeing T-45 Goshawk - Dino Cattaneo

Goshawk download on AVSIM

Hawker Hunter - Dave Garwood

Hunter download on CBFS

If you want to get in some practice going round the Mach Loop (which is advisable!), here is a flight plan in PLN format:

Mach Loop Practice

A good resource is machloop.co.uk, where there is also a very helpful map.

You can also search "mach loop" in YouTube, but I'll warn you in advance that you could be down that rabbit hole for some time.....

Luvly jubbly! I'm thinking Milviz F86 Sabre. They have an RAF one all fueled up, ready to go. :laugh:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

VERY cool, looking forward to this!!!

Gunter.png?dl=1

Regards

Gunter Schneider

3 hours ago, MM said:

For those who have absolutely no self-discipline: Just Flight is (are) now having a "RAF Centenary Sale" with substantially reduced prices.
The sale page is here: https://www.justflight.com/category/raf-centenary-sale

That's a very timely event! Thanks for pointing it out Mike.  I plan to fly the Hawk for week one, and the Canberra for week two. I have the flight plans just about done, I'm working on the scenery now.  There are a few new finds, and I need to get everything checked in P3D v4 but expect the plan in the next couple of days.

Guilty! I just got the Canberra. As soon as I have figured out how the bl**** autopilot works I'm ready to use the Canberra on the first flight (at least for some legs).

Edit: AP works, strange at times, but it works. Only the nosewheel steering isn't working at all, but other than that a very nice aircraft!

Gunter.png?dl=1

Regards

Gunter Schneider

Welcome to the Cranberry Owners Club, Gunter!

The AP is different and takes a little getting used to but it will do the job well. The same type of AP was used in a number of British aircraft from the same era, I know it from the Vulcan.

Steering: you can choose either nose-wheel steering or a castoring nosewheel (steered by differential braking). Sounds like you might have castoring set.  There is a Canberra Configuration Tool where you can change this, found in Start menu>Just Flight>Canberra PR9.

Thanks Nick!

I got the AP mastered (I think), but the nosewheel doesn‘t react to any of the two modes, I have to investigate further...

Gunter.png?dl=1

Regards

Gunter Schneider

Quick question: is everyone who expects to join these flights on P3D v4? I know Roman is on FSX, is there anyone else?

Thanks - am sorting out scenery.

P3dv4

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

Judging by the roll call on the server everyone is P3Dv4.2 except Roman (FSX) and Josh (P3Dv4.1)

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.