Sign in to follow this  
MatthiasKNU

"Don't sink" on every approach

Hi guys!

I've got a little problem with my T7. It's just annoying, but not really serious.

On every (yes, every) approach with the 777 (200LR and 300ER) below about 1200 ft AGL I am getting a "Don't sink" callout.

The Vref in the CDU is set, Landing Checklist is complete, everything is normal and the 777 has landing config.

Even if LAND3 is in the PFD, the "Don't sink" callouts come.

I already deleted the APRT_RWY.dat, switched off the RAAS, renamed the P3D-default-Don't-sink-Callout file to .off, nothing helps.

This only affects the 777, the 747 or 737 don't yell at me with "Don't sink".

As far as I know the don't sink-Callout only comes when the 777 expects another configuration and is not in "landing mode". 

But Flaps are at 30, gear down, speedbrakes armed and the Vref is most of the time set to 30/137 kts (with the 77L).

ILS is tuned, Autobrakes are set, everything like it should. Baro ref is also set.

It affects every airport and every approach, ILS, RNAV, visual.

The sinkrate is at around -700 fpm, perfectly on the ILS, PAPIs 2 red, 2 white.

The callouts are repeating and are not ending until touchdown.

Is there any idea what could cause this callout?

Thank you in advance!

Edited by MatthiasKNU

Kind regards, Matthias
My System: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 2080S, Win11 Pro, MSFS+Prepar3Dv5.3
My photosceneries at the FSXForum and FSDeveloper

A32X_Cockpit.pngbanner_onboard1pfhr.png

Those warnings actually come from P3D.  To essentially disable that, in the aircraft.cfg file, find the GPWS section and make the following changes:

max_warning_height= 0
sink_rate_fpm= -9999
excessive_sink_rate_fpm= -9999
climbout_sink_rate_fpm= -9999
flap_and_gear_sink_rate_fpm= -9999

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I've always wondered about this callout.  I get it with just about every aircraft that uses this callout.  My question is...is it warning that you are actually "sinking" at an unacceptable rate or is it a reminder not to sink.  When it gets too annoying I eliminate it from the sound folder.

Thanks, Bob!  I see you like to eliminate it too!😉

Charlie Aron

AVSIM Board of Directors-Moderator-Registrar

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

17 minutes ago, MatthiasKNU said:

Hi guys!

I've got a little problem with my T7. It's just annoying, but not really serious.

On every (yes, every) approach with the 777 (200LR and 300ER) below about 1200 ft AGL I am getting a "Don't sink" callout.

The Vref in the CDU is set, Landing Checklist is complete, everything is normal and the 777 has landing config.

Even if LAND3 is in the PFD, the "Don't sink" callouts come.

I already deleted the APRT_RWY.dat, switched off the RAAS, renamed the P3D-default-Don't-sink-Callout file to .off, nothing helps.

This only affects the 777, the 747 or 737 don't yell at me with "Don't sink".

As far as I know the don't sink-Callout only comes when the 777 expects another configuration and is not in "landing mode". 

But Flaps are at 30, gear down, speedbrakes armed and the Vref is most of the time set to 30/137 kts (with the 77L).

ILS is tuned, Autobrakes are set, everything like it should. Baro ref is also set.

It affects every airport and every approach, ILS, RNAV, visual.

The sinkrate is at around -700 fpm, perfectly on the ILS, PAPIs 2 red, 2 white.

The callouts are repeating and are not ending until touchdown.

Is there any idea what could cause this callout?

Thank you in advance!

Using any other programs, like a VA ACARS or anything similar?

I wouldn't change anything on the aircraft.cfg as it was suggested. If there was an issue with it then it will affect all users

• Upvote 1

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

Thank you very much, I will try that out!

EDIT: Yes, SmartCars is running, but also without ACARS this Callout appears. And, as already said, it comes only in the 777...

Edited by MatthiasKNU

Kind regards, Matthias
My System: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 2080S, Win11 Pro, MSFS+Prepar3Dv5.3

You're hearing the stock P3D GPWS / ("GPWS_Dont_Sink") located in the sound folder. You can rename it (GPWS_Dont_Sink_bak) to fix the issue.

That "Don't Sink" callout is probably the most annoying thing that I have ever heard in a flight simulator.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

1 hour ago, Christopher Low said:

That "Don't Sink" callout is probably the most annoying thing that I have ever heard in a flight simulator.

Right along side of the annoying gear warning when you start to drop flaps making your approach to the airport.

• Upvote 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

20 hours ago, charliearon said:

Right along side of the annoying gear warning when you start to drop flaps making your approach to the airport.

That maybe annoyiing but it is supposed to be there. Don't Sink isn't supposed to be armed on approach, it's a takeoff and go-around mode.

ki9cAAb.jpg

On 5/5/2018 at 4:03 PM, charliearon said:

I've always wondered about this callout.  I get it with just about every aircraft that uses this callout.  My question is...is it warning that you are actually "sinking" at an unacceptable rate or is it a reminder not to sink.  When it gets too annoying I eliminate it from the sound folder.

Thanks, Bob!  I see you like to eliminate it too!😉

The "Don't Sink" aural alert sounds if you lose altitude after takeoff or go-araound. It isn't supposed to sound on approach (you'll get "Sink Rate" if vertical speed is too high). I've never heard it in any FSX/P3D addon on approach, let alone the PMDG 777, so it certainly doesn't affect everybody.

ki9cAAb.jpg

1 hour ago, kevinh said:

The "Don't Sink" aural alert sounds if you lose altitude after takeoff or go-araound. It isn't supposed to sound on approach (you'll get "Sink Rate" if vertical speed is too high). I've never heard it in any FSX/P3D addon on approach, let alone the PMDG 777, so it certainly doesn't affect everybody.

Thanks, I think you are spot on with your explanation of the difference between the 2 announcements.  I just re-flew one test flight and again, starting at 1,000 feet on my landing approach, I started getting "Don't Sink" even though it was an ILS/Glideslope approach.  Speed, flaps and gear were set and it was about as perfect as you can get.

I will bet it has to do with whatever aircraft is being flown and who developed it along with the FDE.  I bet they programmed it to say "don't sink" when they should have used "sink rate".

Charlie Aron

Thank you very much for your help, I tried it out on a few flights and now the "Don't Sink" is away, like it should!

Thank you!

Kind regards!

Kind regards, Matthias