Sign in to follow this  
Gaz

Auto-ILS freq setting

Hi

When i used FS years ago, I didn't have to tune my ILS frequency in when ATC told me the runway to use. However, now I seem to have to be looking it up to do it.  

Anyone know if this can be fixed? BTW, I'm considering buying FS2Crew - perhaps that will solve it!?

Thanks

Gary

How does Moses make his coffee? Hebrews it.  

I took the shell off my racing snail, thinking it would make him run faster. If anything, that made him more sluggish.

Gaz on Facebook

40 minutes ago, Gary McCluskey said:

Hi

When i used FS years ago, I didn't have to tune my ILS frequency in when ATC told me the runway to use. However, now I seem to have to be looking it up to do it.  

Anyone know if this can be fixed? BTW, I'm considering buying FS2Crew - perhaps that will solve it!?

Thanks

Gary

Gary, the B737 does not have and never did have automatically tuning radios... what you may have been used to years ago may not be a perfect recollection.  When you select the ILS approach in the FMS, the APPR INIT page will provide you with the frequency and course so there's not much to "look up."  However, I would never use even a simulator to fly an approach without the approach chart in front of me.  Have you explored the possibility of subscribing to a chart service?

Edited by downscc

Dan Downs KCRP

That's good to hear about the APPR INIT page. 

Just in answer in your question; I feel like I'm having to surround myself with laptops for the PMDG 737. I keep my checklist and notes on my tablet, for example. On my laptop I have to run Simbrief to get the plans before I run FSX and import those plans. 

I don't then like to switch Windows on my laptop because, for some reason, fsx stops working at times. The last time it happened, you could tell fsx was working, but the screen was plain blank (white). 

Anyway, thanks for telling me that, it will really help. 

Gaz

I took the shell off my racing snail, thinking it would make him run faster. If anything, that made him more sluggish.

Gaz on Facebook

6 hours ago, Gary McCluskey said:

The last time it happened, you could tell fsx was working, but the screen was plain blank (white). 

Yeah, this has been an annoying bug of the sim since before FS2004 (FS9). Quite a pain if you've done a long haul and it does it right at the end when you're looking stuff up.

What Dan said about the APPR REF page has what you need, though.

Kyle Rodgers

The white page problem I've run into as well. My solution is to open ALL the windows in the background (I use FSX full screen, not windowed). while having FSX maximized full screen. Then you can click the taskbar to bring windows in the background to the front, then click the FSX background to continue. This way FSX never minimizes. I've found I only get the white screen when I minimize FSX, do some background work, them maximize again.  It doesn't happen when I open a window in front of FSX.

.. Interesting stuff. I'll keep it in mind. 

Thanks for getting back to me. 

Gaz

Gaz on Facebook

3 hours ago, Nick Dobda said:

The white page problem I've run into as well. My solution is to open ALL the windows in the background (I use FSX full screen, not windowed). while having FSX maximized full screen. Then you can click the taskbar to bring windows in the background to the front, then click the FSX background to continue. This way FSX never minimizes. I've found I only get the white screen when I minimize FSX, do some background work, them maximize again.  It doesn't happen when I open a window in front of FSX.

Nick,

Just a quick comment.  You can do the same thing when running FSX in Windowed mode, provided the background windows are smaller than the FSX window. And running FSX in the windowed mode will also improve your frame rates.

Even though I run 4 monitors (55 inch for P3Dv4 and three 23 inch monitors) I still have a shortage of real estate with all the software I have running on any given flight, so I always end up running VATSPY and my web browser in the background on my 55 inch monitor.

Best wishes!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.