Stephen Simpson

Asus z370-g and 8700k overclock

Hi guys

I have just built the above with 32gb ram. Running stock bios setting acheiving 4.4ghz stable with around 45deg at idle.  Corsair 240 liquid cooling.

Tried various overclock setting but can't seem to gain much more than 4.4 without a crash.

Lots of info in web about settings but I was wondering if someone in the know could help me here to acheive 4.8 or 4.9ghz.

Thanks in advance

S

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Make sure you are on the latest bios version, and then watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoUtA7DKXhU from about 5 minutes in.

I was unable to get any sort of overclock.  Updated the BIOS and copied the above settings.  Didn't get 5ghz, but is solid at 4.8ghz.  I only have the cheapest Asus board, the Prime-P so am more than happy with this

This https://rog.asus.com/forum/  may not be a direct path to where you want to get with the kit you have but may provide some additional dots to help with the connection.

On 5/16/2018 at 9:45 PM, Stephen Simpson said:

Hi guys

I have just built the above with 32gb ram. Running stock bios setting acheiving 4.4ghz stable with around 45deg at idle.  Corsair 240 liquid cooling.

Tried various overclock setting but can't seem to gain much more than 4.4 without a crash.

Lots of info in web about settings but I was wondering if someone in the know could help me here to acheive 4.8 or 4.9ghz.

Thanks in advance

S

4.4 for an 8700K makes no sense! 

At optimised default you will still get 4.7 GHz. Intel turbo takes you to 4.7 on one core and somewhat less on the others. Switch on Multi Core Enhancement and you get 4.7 on all cores. 

4.4 is an under clock it's less than stock. If anything more than 4.4 causes a crash you have a serious issue to fix. in which case forget overclocking until you are achieving the stock 4.7 GHz.

What is the CPU temp under load? Is it overheating and thus throttling back? 

45 degrees is also a bit warm for idle. Especially with a 240 rad. 

Edited by martin-w