Sign in to follow this  
Guest glnflwrs

gauges vs. guages ...

Just as a reminder .....The term is spelt GAUGE, not GUAGE.Triggered by two new addon's in the library, that consequently use the wrong spelling, I decided to post this reminder again...Why do I bother, someone might ask; after all, what's in a name ??Because if you use the word "guage" in a panel.cfg definition, FS2004 doesn't understand you :-)And I have dozens of EMails from people asking for help with my addon gauges to prove that misspelling "gauge" is propably THE most common mistake in editing panels.And the funny thing is: I only see this mistake being made by people that have English as their native language :-)Cheers, Rob Barendregt (Dutch !)

Guest dwitek

Spelling in the US has reached such a low that I shake my head at almost every thread I read. The schools in my area started using "inventive" spelling years ago which encouraged kids to write out their thoughts no matter how badly the words were spelled. (Like the Democrats think, it's the effort that counts not the results). It has created thousands of kids that never learned to spell properly and now rely on Spell-Checkers to do their work. Most common mispelled: there for they're or their.Yikes

Guest spookymufu

and two, to, or the famous too.....I am a horrible speller because I was taught "sound it out" and that doesnt work a lot of the time....my wife is always correcting me....

Over here in the uk anyone under 18 can only communicate in abreviationsMy local football teams forum is just like reading mobile phone text messages.

wot do U mean m8, i think we should blame the schools, i mean they must take a lot of the blame for teaching the 3 Rs, when i was at school back in the days when Elvis was just another has been, we used to be taught 1 R, 1 W, and 1 A. but then leter dropping has been around for years I mean what kind of word is labor or even color, and why do a people that profess to speak english use something closer to the German pronunciation of lieutenant instead of the correct english pronunciation, language is a strange thing. i think we should all go back to the routes of modern languages and all speak latin.

Oh yea and when we get fed up or bored of something we tire of it; the black rubber thing that goes round a wheel is a tyre. Just out of curiosity what do Americans do when they get weary if they use tire instead of tyre?

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe. Too bad computers can't do that...

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

"Spelling in the US has reached such a low that I shake my head at almost every thread I read."Don't use the forums to judge spelling--it's easy to make a typo that seems a spelling mistake, but isn't. Having said that, people of all ages have challenges with English spelling. And, many are leading more stressful lives and working more hours than even a few years ago. I know my work week has gone from about 45 to 55 hours a week, just due to my employer "recognizing" that jobs are scarce and using that as a threat against us. So many people are living their lives in a "fog", that it's easier for spelling to go. Why? Due to many English words not falling under any specific rule of spelling. Many words are learned from memory, and under stress, memory tends to falter.Even I've mizspelllede gage. I meen guge. I mean gauge :) "Like the Democrats think, it's the effort that counts not the results"Political statements such as this are forbidden in these forums. You've just insulted about 50 pct. of the U.S. readers of this forum--which is exactly what political statements like this do.-John

>Spelling in the US has reached such a low that I shake my>head at almost every thread I read. The schools in my area>started using "inventive" spelling years ago which encouraged>kids to write out their thoughts no matter how badly the words>were spelled. (Like the Democrats think, it's the effort that>counts not the results). It has created thousands of kids>that never learned to spell properly and now rely on>Spell-Checkers to do their work. Most common mispelled: there>for they're or their.>>YikesIt's called a dictionary and people should learn how to use them. There is nothing wrong with not knowing how to spell a word, but there is something wrong if you don't know how to use a dictionary or spell check. And I think it was the Republicans that came up with "No child left behind" that has screwed up the educational system in the U.S.... But there are no political posts allowed here, so we will be deleted soon....Sheesh...

Guest Slacktide

>Oh yea and when we get fed up or bored of something we tire>of it; the black rubber thing that goes round a wheel is a>tyre. Just out of curiosity what do Americans do when they get>weary if they use tire instead of tyre?What do Brits wear on their feet in the snow when their boot is attached to the back of the car? Surprise! Words may have alternate meanings. For instance, the following sentence is grammatically correct:"Buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."Dan

I'm not going to expect someone to be writing in these threads with a dictionary at hand or even a spell checker. The original post was meant to warn people who add to the library, since that specific misspelling can cause aircraft to fail or not load at all. Now, everyone is an English teacher. I think everyone should lighten up, just a tad, and everyone--put a stop to the political remarks. I think the problem which is more serious is that lately it seems no discussion can be posted without someone, somewhere finding a way to attack, insult, grandstand, preach or run naked through the thread. I'm beginning to think Tom should lock down the forum for a week or so--just so people realize what they would lose.-John

Guest Slacktide

>Just as a reminder .....>Because if you use the word "guage" in a panel.cfg definition,>FS2004 doesn't understand you :-)>And I have dozens of EMails from people asking for help with>my addon gauges to prove that misspelling "gauge" is propably>THE most common mistake in editing panels.And since you're a guagauge programmer, you should be aware that sometime you MUST spell things incorrectly. For instance, in the variable (A:YOKE X INIDICATOR), "indicator" must always be misspelled as "inidicator", to match the bug in MS's code.Dan

Check this spelling in the radio section of the aircraft.cfg in every aircraft from Microsoft:[Radios]// Radio Type = availiable, standby frequency, has glide slopeAudio.1 = 1Com.1 = 1, 1Com.2 = 1, 1Nav.1 = 1, 1, 1Nav.2 = 1, 1, 0Adf.1 = 1Transponder.1 = 1Marker.1 = 1It makes me shudder that our experts at MS don't even know how to spell! Regards, Bob.

>I think the problem which is more serious... ...or run>naked through the thread.>-John>>>Wow! That does sound serious... I can't believe people would go running around naked. Don't these people have any sense of decency...:DI see the intent of the thread, and appreciate what the original author is trying to state. I don't understand it, but then again, I am not a gauge programer. I just like FS....:DKevin

Same category as the famous "squakbox", "sqwakbox" and so..lol..Johan[A HREF=http://jdserver.no-ip.com]Personal Server[/A]or..http://62.238.33.10