Sign in to follow this  
Roadburner426

PMDG Announced Global Flight Operations at FSE 2018

I have a question about something I haven't seen or heard much of...in terms of aircraft configurations and liveries third parties included, will all the liveries in question in regards to which aircraft we want to pick up at a gate be included in the operations centre along with the real world systems configuration of that particular aircraft? 

2 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

I think Brits use it a bit differently, which is why I asked.

I can confirm "erm/ehm" is often used mid-sentence as a precursor to sarcasm. Usually accompanied by a completely fake search for the correct phrase when you know all along what you're going to say. 🤔 However it can be a nervous search for the correct word, or even any word that will do. It can also be a cover for inhibition, reserve, etc.

Sarcasm, insecurity, reserve. Almost a national characteristic. 😆

Edited by kevinh
  • Like 1

ki9cAAb.jpg

4 minutes ago, shamrockflyer said:

I have a question about something I haven't seen or heard much of...in terms of aircraft configurations and liveries third parties included, will all the liveries in question in regards to which aircraft we want to pick up at a gate be included in the operations centre along with the real world systems configuration of that particular aircraft? 

We need community support on this, obviously, but yes. The aim is to get as many liveries in as possible - at least one per airframe.

• Like 2

Kyle Rodgers

I'm looking forward to it. It sounds to me like it adds more value to a flight. Definitely would be interested on more the technical niceties required than what I am used to. I still have a lot to learn on proper techniques and procedures. Seems more interesting and more involved than what I am doing now (Start - Fly - Land).

Question: What happens if someone craters an aircraft?

Edited by AAN1718A
Spelling

Michael Lagow
Madness Software

1 hour ago, scandinavian13 said:

Another example:
You want a gate? Cool. Send a gate request, and you'll get an automated response for that airport, that aircraft type, and that operator (with fallbacks). If you're part of a VA and someone is logged in as dispatch, they will get the request and can respond to it (something we'll need to work with VAs on, and that will naturally lag because none of them knew about it until Sat).

Maintenance will involve a lot more automation and work. You're not going to fix an engine in Fiji, for example, and the system should handle that, not the crew (this is a flight simulator, and not a maint sim).

One day i had a big idea...Virtual dispatchers live monitoring virtual pilots as part of VA's (real disptachers gonna hate :P)
Is that day now coming with your new GFO?
I mean now except from Vatsim/IVAO etc events we will have  real VA procedure events with live virtual dispatchers ,flight operarations etc ,communication between pilots and va's operation centers through  acars etc
Close enough? 😀

2 minutes ago, OAL809 said:

Is that day now coming with your new GFO?

I would've argued that you'd be hard pressed to find someone willing to play the role, but perhaps with a system like this, they'd be responsible for more planes, and have more to do to justify it? Who knows. I'd hope so.

Kyle Rodgers

@Kyle

thats why i said VA real operation events (ex one day a week or  a month)  to have a virtual dispatch position 😅That means that we would need an interface for dispatchers too so it is a bit tricky

Count me among those who are intrigued and looking forward to this product, particularly considering that I've in the past advocated for an Aircraft Aging SystemTM:ph34r:, whereby an airplane ages even while I'm not using it. I know that having an aircraft look trashier and quirkier as it ages and restoring it to a better condition during  various maintenance visits is a huge undertaking and not likely to happen, but simply having the aircraft be different every time I pick it up is a very, very big step. Add to that all the other features of a global operations system and I'm sold!

Walter Meier

1 hour ago, scandinavian13 said:

Another example:
You want a gate? Cool. Send a gate request, and you'll get an automated response for that airport, that aircraft type, and that operator (with fallbacks). If you're part of a VA and someone is logged in as dispatch, they will get the request and can respond to it (something we'll need to work with VAs on, and that will naturally lag because none of them knew about it until Sat).

Any info the dispatcher gave on Saturday would be out of date when picked up by a pilot requesting a gate the following Tuesday. I think the lag of relying on human dispatchers would be problematic. At BAV, we don't use dispatchers except for certain special events. Normally, pilots self dispatch. BAV provides them with an up to date list of gates at all our destinations so they can choose an appropriate gate in lieu of destination ATC being online to assign one. If VAs provided gate data to GFO then your system could assign a free gate immediately.

ki9cAAb.jpg

55 minutes ago, kevinh said:

Any info the dispatcher gave on Saturday would be out of date when picked up by a pilot requesting a gate the following Tuesday. I think the lag of relying on human dispatchers would be problematic. At BAV, we don't use dispatchers except for certain special events. Normally, pilots self dispatch. BAV provides them with an up to date list of gates at all our destinations so they can choose an appropriate gate in lieu of destination ATC being online to assign one. If VAs provided gate data to GFO then your system could assign a free gate immediately.

It will be not a problem if VA's arrange it.At least not if there is a special event.

Does not need VA's to provide gate data.If you search the net you can find everything you want.For exaple take a look at flightware,flightstats ,flightview etc.You can find departure and arrival gates from many airlines,flight numbers etc

Edited by OAL809

6 hours ago, kevinh said:

I'm confused...

Did you miss the first part of the post? It already does what you're suggesting...

"You want a gate? Cool. Send a gate request, and you'll get an automated response for that airport, that aircraft type, and that operator (with fallbacks)."

The following lines seem to be confusing you, perhaps:

"If you're part of a VA and someone is logged in as dispatch, they will get the request and can respond to it (something we'll need to work with VAs on, and that will naturally lag because none of them knew about it until Sat)."

The first bit is an IF-AND: if you're part of a VA and someone is logged into the position, they can fire back a response. (Implicit fallback on the automated system if you don't have a live human on the position.) The second bit wasn't meant to be "any generic Saturday." I said that to mean that we will need to work together with VAs to make that function available and effective. They only found out about the function on Saturday - when we announced the product (09JUN18) - so it's not like I can say for sure that VAs are ready to support this.

Kyle Rodgers

14 hours ago, OAL809 said:

It will be not a problem if VA's arrange it.At least not if there is a special event.

Does not need VA's to provide gate data.If you search the net you can find everything you want.For exaple take a look at flightware,flightstats ,flightview etc.You can find departure and arrival gates from many airlines,flight numbers etc

Sure you can, but if you want to find all the gates an airline uses at an airport to select one then it becomes harder. We get our data from members who work for the real airline and have up to date information. Even without such contacts a VA can collate all the internet information you describe to produce a set of gate data so individuals don’t have to do the same searches each time.

VAs potentially represent a valuable source of data for GFO.

ki9cAAb.jpg

8 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

I'm confused...

Did you miss the first part of the post? It already does what you're suggesting...

"You want a gate? Cool. Send a gate request, and you'll get an automated response for that airport, that aircraft type, and that operator (with fallbacks)."

The following lines seem to be confusing you, perhaps:

"If you're part of a VA and someone is logged in as dispatch, they will get the request and can respond to it (something we'll need to work with VAs on, and that will naturally lag because none of them knew about it until Sat)."

The first bit is an IF-AND: if you're part of a VA and someone is logged into the position, they can fire back a response. (Implicit fallback on the automated system if you don't have a live human on the position.) The second bit wasn't meant to be "any generic Saturday." I said that to mean that we will need to work together with VAs to make that function available and effective. They only found out about the function on Saturday - when we announced the product (09JUN18) - so it's not like I can say for sure that VAs are ready to support this.

Fine, but I think I made a valid point about online dispatch needing to be live. Of course VAs generally can’t yet say they are ready, and willing, to support GFO with such data. I just suggested what could be done. 

Edited by kevinh

ki9cAAb.jpg

1 hour ago, kevinh said:

Fine, but I think I made a valid point about online dispatch needing to be live. Of course VAs generally can’t yet say they are ready, and willing, to support GFO with such data. I just suggested what could be done. 

I'm not sure what you mean about your point about it needing to be live. I clearly already stated this: if you're in a VA, AND someone is manning the desk (meaning, they are there, physically, actively, live and connected to the GFO at that moment), then they can handle the gate assignment. Otherwise, the automated system will handle it.

Either way...it's not a concern: it's handled.

Kyle Rodgers