Sign in to follow this  
gosta

Payware insanity!!!

Guest Zevious Zoquis

hmm, you wouldn't happen to have any examples of these folks suddenly appearing on the scene and releasing payware would you? I can't think of any major payware devs who haven't also contributed in the form of freeware (both before and often even after going payware). People sure like to make broad and almost completely meaningless generalities when it comes to this topic. Are there a few payware devs who release shoddy stuff? Of course. But by no means is that an accurate portrayal of most payware devs. I've purchased from Flight1, Dreamfleet, RealAir, and FFS and I have been extremely happy with both the products and the service I've recieved in all cases. FFS has had a rough time, but the plane itself is great. I've also taken advantage of Flight1's return policy. I bought the A36 and found it was too demanding for my system so I returned it. This was handled promptly and without question. I then bought the C172 instead and love it :). Payware isn't "killing" freeware. If freeware is slowing down, it's becuase the complexity of developing a decent add-on has gone up exponentially in the past 4 years or so. We're no longer talking about a model built from a few dozen polys and a few hundred k's of textures. In most cases these are huge and very complex projects that take a great deal of time to get right. Given that fact, it's amazing anyone is still able to devote the time to doing it for free and those who do are deserving of all the adulation they recieve. But that doesn't mean there is anything inherently wrong with the rest who feel they can't (or simply don't want to) do it for free...

This must be thread # 345 about payware. FS9 is fully functional right out of the box. No need to buy anything extra. So why whine and complain?ricardo

>that panel got more than 20,000 downloads. I'd be typing this>email from my Ferrari!!:-lol Man, I completely understand you and share your opinion!It's just a DISGRACE!

Bob,Really ? Now you shattered my illusion :D. I always thought it was real... :(Tero

PPL(A)

How do you know?Why should they?

Payware developers can't win can they?Offer a money-back guarantee and some people will still complain.

Guest zapped

MAB wrote:> It is insane when one thinks that some add-ons cost more>than FS9. I do not buy them for this reason. Another one is on>sceneries for example where most of them want to sell them by>counties, provinces and ranch fences, soon to be by objects>like trees, vehicles and stop signs. Hold on there pardner, don't indict all the payware. It's easy to spend more than the price of fs9 on fsgenesis mesh, and I think few would argue that it's a good value. I happily handed over $50 or so for fsglobal2005's 12GB of world mesh (3 DVD's) and have no regrets whatsoever. The time & effort required to create these meshes from the raw NASA SRTM data and other sources deserves compensation, and I don't begrudge the authors (Jason Tyme and Stefan Schaefer) the fair price they charge for their fantastic payware.

Guest davidvoogd

I completely agree with what's been said. There are some really shabby payware products out there, and some bad ripoff items. I've bought a lot of payware, and most of it I'm rather pleased with, some wasn't for me, so far I've mostly avoided buying the pure crap ones.There are few things that tick me off with payware - one is charging for repaints and not allowing for freeware repaints of the same livery - that's ridiculous IMO. Another is when people buy a product that's not for them - and then claim it is crap - just because it doesn't fit their preferences. There is a difference between low quality and different styles.I think it's a shame that more and more items are becoming payware, but it's just the complexity that is demanded by us that requires it. I don't have any problem with paying $30 for something that a group of people spent 100's of hours creating, perfecting, and then supporting after release. As for just using Flightsim out of the box - you could, but you'd be missing out! I couldn't possibly go back to not having Ultimate Terrain and the FSGenesis mesh making Canada look as it should. I couldn't even dream of flying the pitch happy paper airplane handling default aircraft.Anyways back to the main point - there is a lot of payware products out there that are of extremely poor quality - and I think fellow simmers deserve to be forwarned about what they are getting. However I don't think there should be any attacks or bad sentiments towards those who create high quality payware products, are honest and fully support their products, in fact we should actually thank them for all their hard work, as even though they do get paid for their work, in a lot of cases I'm guessing the hourly wage works out to something that's far below minimum wage.

Guest camtech

>Okay, enough is enough! There was a time when the majority>of addons for this hobby were free and done simply for the>love of the hobby. >>With that said, I FULLY understand that times have changed and>the demand for hyper-realism has spawned a brisk 3rd party>market of scenery and aircraft. Companies such as LDS, PMDG,>Captain Sim, Feelthere, Flight1, Imaginesim, Simflyers,>FlyTampa and Eaglesoft lead the way with quality offerings>built on sweat and attention to detail and I have nothing but>praise for companies such as these. They all would probably be>a bargin at twice the price.>>Then there is Friendly Panels (see Avsim front page)! Okay,>$21 for a rearranged default panel with a few additions that>look worse than the original default panel? Come on, these>are not even good freeware, but $21???? I didn't think that>it could get worse than Perfect Flight, but I guess now I've>certainly seen everything! >>Heck, I did a panel better than theirs with a panel editor>about 5 years ago and won a Flight Sim Award! If I had known>that I could have charged $20 I would have RACKED UP since>that panel got more than 20,000 downloads. I'd be typing this>email from my Ferrari!!>>It seems that a payware "slum" has sprung up charging for what>is essentially "poor freeware" and it is SAD, SAD, SAD, SAD,>SAD, to see that this is the decided trend in our community.>Garbage for sale...and expesive garbage at that!!! SHAME ON>YOU ALL.>>Unfortunately, there are not enough POSKY, IDFG and Lonny>Paynes left in the community while there are LOTS of Perfect>Flights and Friendly Panels. >>Just an unfortunate observation.>>Regards,>>Mike T.>>>>

Guest Divergent Phugoid

Reduce the payware, reduce the choice. Less choice, less competition. Less competition then lower quality payware.Keep the choice, keep the competition, let people waste their money on sub-standard stuff because they didn't evaluate their needs nor research the product properly, that's their problem. I wasted money on Lago's Twotter. I won't buy Lago again, its now their problem.

I looked at my aircraft folder the other day and was amazed by what I saw.PaywarePaywarePaywareFreewarePaywarePayware, and the list went on.I must have hundreds of dollars of Payware. You don't have to tell me, I will be the first to admit it... I am a Payware Junky, and loving every minute of it. All of the addons I have are worth every penny. From the Flight 1 Golden Eagle, to the LDS 767, to the PMDG B1900D, B1900C, 737NG, some Real Air products, Dreamfleet products, and so on. I won't disagree there is a lot of garbage out there that isn't worth the time to download. That is why before I buy, I look at the screen shot forums. People who buy planes they love, will usually post a couple of screenies. It must be good if people are willing to show off and brag about their new purchase. I appreciate all the talented individuals that create all the freeware and payware. Both of them make this the best simulator on earth. :DKev

Guest dsflyer

Bullseye!

Guest Erick_Cantu

One of these days I'm going to make a cube, texture each side with a respective photo of an aeroplane from that angle, and sell it.It'll be slightly above your average commerical model in terms of accuracy and quality, and I'll make a buttload of cash, and not have to come home sick from my real work ever again!

Guest Ozark Dogfighter

I want one! And the VC could be this so-cool "transparent wall", yeah, with gauges just floating on apparently nothing.. and dozer track landing gear for the roughies, and the bush pilots. And it has to have hover mode...Seriously, I will not even consider purchasing any payware for FS if I cannot first access some nice documentation (NOT hype, please!) and some large screenshots of the product.-JeremyThe Ozark DogfighterHappy Flying!

The black one, that eventually got blown up, was fake. :)

BobK