Sign in to follow this  
Jonahbird

Using more than 1 free Microsoft voice

Barrick62, in another thread, correctly lists 2 English (US) and 4 English (UK) free Microsoft voices.  He also mentions 3 European voices that will speak English with an accent.

What isn't clear to me is how to use all of these in P2A.  It only finds Hazel, David & Zira, so presumably the other three (George, Susan & Mark) are 32 bit.

Is there any way to use these 32 bit voices?

Ideally, I would like a different voice in each of the 15 ATC areas.  I have 4 Cepstral voices making 7 usable in total, so it looks as if purchase is the only way to improve the ATC experience.  I see Pete Dowson favours Nuance or Ivona.

Edited by Jonahbird
my error: last 3 paras altered.

Regards

Frank Jones

You cannot use 32bit voices in a 64 bit program like Pilot2ATC.  There are ways to mess around in your PC's registry to trick Windows into using Mobile voices as Desktop voices, but that seems to get reversed every time there is the slightest update to Windows.  More importantly, unless you are very PC savvy, you could do damage to your PC's registry and have a real mess on your hands.

I'm pretty sure there are more than only 3 voices in Windows that can be installed and work with P2A. Remember that you have to install the associated languages AND the Speech Engines to get the voices.  The Speech engines are options on the language and do not magically appear by just installing the language.

Here's a link on how to install a language and a list of all the languages that have voices:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/How-to-download-Text-to-Speech-languages-for-Windows-4c83a8d8-7486-42f7-8e46-2b0fdf753130

Here's a link to a site that does a pretty good job of explaining the process. 

http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/change-cortanas-voice-windows-10

Step 11 is the one where you install the Speech Recognition Engine.  BE SURE TO DO THIS STEP.

Steps after 11 set the new language as your default and are not necessary in order to use Pilot2ATC.

Dave

Thanks Dave,

I will certainly not try to make 32bit voices work. Your warning will be heeded.  Windows10 causes enough problems without adding to them.

The rest of your advice is just what I have been looking for.  I have plenty of time to study it all, and see how I get on. If I make progress with this, I will post my results for others to benefit.  I sense that European controllers with regional accents may even be possible. 

• Like 1

Regards

Frank Jones

Hi Dave

P2A is still finding only David, Hazel & Zira in English, but I have installed the French voice, Hortense, and that is seen by P2A.  No luck with 8 others that are available in Windows.  I cannot figure out why.

As I may be purchasing, I am wondering what the difference is between the two Ivona protocols.   TTS is about $20 dearer than the 'basic' version.  Will the latter do the job?

Regards

Frank Jones

I am not familiar with the two IVONA versions.  Maybe someone else in the community has tried the "basic" version.  Venturing a guess, the basic is probably not as high quality or "human" as the TTS.  Just be sure they are SAPI 5, Desktop, 64 bit.  

Dave

Are there any recommendations and/or sites for additional voice purchases? Thanks to this thread, I saw listings of Nuance and Ivona voices listed for about $45 dollars. Is that accurate? Are there any packages with an assortment of voices? 45 dollars per voice seems unusually pricey for a single voice. Hopefully, I'm not understanding correctly.  

I'm primarily interested in U.S. English. 

Some sites sell voice bundles that can get the per-voice price down.

Look at www.Nextup.com

, they sell various brands and have bundles.  Be sure the voices you get are SAPI5 Desktop and 64bit.  I believe the ATT voices are 32 bit, although this may have changed.  To get to just the voices, click on the "More Info" links underneath each of the voice brands.

Dave

42 minutes ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

Some sites sell voice bundles that can get the per-voice price down.

Look at www.Nextup.com

, they sell various brands and have bundles.  Be sure the voices you get are SAPI5 Desktop and 64bit.  I believe the ATT voices are 32 bit, although this may have changed.  To get to just the voices, click on the "More Info" links underneath each of the voice brands.

Dave

Many thanks. I'll check it out.