Jump to content

Egbert Drenth

NVidia & HDR average 10% performance loss

Recommended Posts

Hi,

A German website has tested the impact of enabling HDR in games and measured the performance penalty.
It appears that the average loss in FPS for NVidia high end charts is about 10%, for AMD only 2%.
More information:
HDR Benchmark (German language)

Impact on P3D was not tested

Please don't kill me, I'm only the messenger 😉

Edited by Egbert Drenth

Share this post


Link to post

Has nothing to do with P3D's faux HDR implementation. That's for REAL HDR content.

Share this post


Link to post

I wish they would hurry up with quantum computing then we can turn everything on and not worry about FPS. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, sanh said:

I wish they would hurry up with quantum computing then we can turn everything on and not worry about FPS. 🙂

LMAO!  The first home quantum computer will cost $20,000 and none of the software you already own will run on it.  Or if your current software WILL run on it, it would make using a 32-bit software application running on a 64-bit hardware platform look like someone using FSX on a state of the art computer.  We have flight sim users here who won't (or can't) upgrade there FS9 and FSX era flight sims and hardware (for say $2K to $3K) to current levels of computers that can run P3D very well.  Even if they did buy a new "quantum computer", they'd still run FS9 and FSX on it, and wonder why their flight sim has blurry textures.  Don't hold your breath.  😂 

Edited by FalconAF
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/25/2018 at 11:17 PM, FalconAF said:

LMAO!  The first home quantum computer will cost $20,000 and none of the software you already own will run on it.  Or if your current software WILL run on it, it would make using a 32-bit software application running on a 64-bit hardware platform look like someone using FSX on a state of the art computer.  We have flight sim users here who won't (or can't) upgrade there FS9 and FSX era flight sims and hardware (for say $2K to $3K) to current levels of computers that can run P3D very well.  Even if they did buy a new "quantum computer", they'd still run FS9 and FSX on it, and wonder why their flight sim has blurry textures.  Don't hold your breath.  😂 

LMAO! I was not expecting to buy a quantum computer on day 1 and run an old dinosaur flight sim application on it like FSX. However for those of us who are quite young it's likely in our lifetime quantum computing will be a reality and the cost will come down  like it did for for PC. Development always continues and there will be flightsims developed for it (not the titles around today perhaps) and when they are released i doubt we will have to dial things down like today.

 

It might be 50 years away but it will come and I plan to enjoy it. Will enjoy life until then so don't worry I won't be holding my breath for 50 years lol 

 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, sanh said:

However for those of us who are quite young...

Ahh, yes.  The advantage of youth.  "Things will always be better tomorrow....."

I remember the days of my TRS "Trash" 80 flight sim computer from Radio Shack.  Flight simming by text-only commands on the keyboard. 

Computer display on monitor:  "Target 80 miles, heading 225 degrees". 

Me typing on the keyboard: "Fly heading 225 degrees" (or something like that...it's been a while...). 

And it was the neatest thing since sliced bread at the time. 

BUT...then along came my Commodore 64...with SPRITES!  OOOOOOHHHHH!!!!  GRAPHICS!!!!!  And later, computers with JOYSTICKS!  

And time marches on.

So, make me a promise, eh?

Before you become old and grey like me, promise me that you WILL make "younger" life decisions that WILL allow you to "buy up" financially to the "latest and greatest" computer hardware and software IF you are going to continue to be a "flight simmer".  And stay educated about the hardware and software you use in those endeavors.  Because time and technology DOES march on.  And just because something comes pre-assembled in a box when purchased doesn't mean you don't have to still know the "how to use it correctly" part of the equation.  A software application, Operating System, or hardware combination isn't "junk" just because someone doesn't know how to use it correctly.

😎

PS - Just so you know, I'm not knocking technology advancing, or anything like that.  I mean...geez!.  If it wasn't for technological progress, I'd STILL have to walk to school in hip deep snow...uphill...BOTH WAYS!  

😂

 

Edited by FalconAF

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, sanh said:

It might be 50 years away but it will come and I plan to enjoy it. Will enjoy life until then so don't worry I won't be holding my breath for 50 years lol 

 🙂

Oh, I almost forgot.  I'm still waiting for my own personal Flying Car that was promised me 50 years ago.  I'm still holding my breath about that.  Can you talk to someone of your younger generation and see if they can speed that up a bit before I drop dead from old age?  Thanks!  😊

 

Share this post


Link to post

As for the original post in this thread, it doesn't surprise me that nVidia may not have been concerned with making sure HDR didn't cause a 10% drop in FPS in their "high end cards" lately.  nVidia...more than AMD...went on a selling spree for the past couple years with their "high end cards" for users who wanted them for BitCoin mining.  They did very, very well with that marketing concept (do an Internet search about the stock price value increase during the time).  You don't need HDR performance to mine BitCoins.  The gaming community across the board...not just flight simming...probably took it somewhat in the shorts with that for a while.  It's the main reason the card's prices were so inflated, and "Out of Stock" was the result of searches at most hardware sites.

Edited by FalconAF

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

 

 AMD did very well out of bit coin mining. 

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, FalconAF said:

As for the original post in this thread, it doesn't surprise me that nVidia may not have been concerned with making sure HDR didn't cause a 10% drop in FPS in their "high end cards" lately.  nVidia...more than AMD...went on a selling spree for the past couple years with their "high end cards" for users who wanted them for BitCoin mining.  They did very, very well with that marketing concept (do an Internet search about the stock price value increase during the time).  You don't need HDR performance to mine BitCoins.  The gaming community across the board...not just flight simming...probably took it somewhat in the shorts with that for a while.  It's the main reason the card's prices were so inflated, and "Out of Stock" was the result of searches at most hardware sites.

 

You have your details on this matter mixed up.  It is AMD cards which have been used for altcoin mining (no one mines bitcoin on GPUs anymore, its not profitable).  This is why the entire RX 400 and 500 lineups sold for more than twice their MSRPs, and Vega cards often times are *still* marked up by 50% or more.  Nvidia GPUs are not as good at mining most coins, the only reason people bought them for mining is because the demand for AMD cards was too high to be satisfied so people bought the next best thing.

Share this post


Link to post

Ouch.  Yeah, the way I worded that came out real bad.  What I was trying to say was flight simming took it in the shorts when it came to nVidia getting dragged into the mining fiasco.  Most flight simmers will use an nVidia GPU over an AMD one.  There was no need for nVidia to try to improve HDR performance as long as they were selling out their GPU's because some coin miners were willing to buy them, even if they didn't mine "as well". As long as the current versions of nVidia cards were selling out, just keep making them and watch the stock price increase.  Investors love that.   And anyhow, as Sethos said in the second post, the P3D HDR settings are not the real kind of HDR the German website was talking about to begin with.  

Edited by FalconAF

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...