Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Exciting, Blue Origin flight and booster/crew capsule landing

Booster landings still impress me every time 😎👍

Matthew Kane

OK, dibs on going next!  I'd make a great test dummy😲  Love the way the booster lands tail first.  It's Rocky Jones, Space Ranger all over again.

Just like in the video:

images.jpeg

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

1 hour ago, charliearon said:

OK, dibs on going next!  I'd make a great test dummy😲  Love the way the booster lands tail first.  It's Rocky Jones, Space Ranger all over again.

Just like in the video:

images.jpeg

I was impressed on how smooth the landing was, although at a 16 mph descent rate the crew capsule landing gotta hurt, falling out of a bed hurts, lol.  I did not see retros fire on the crew capsule but perhaps they did and were obscured by dust.  It was an enjoyable flight to watch, start to finish, I haven't felt a surge of euphoria at US technology since watching the first launch of the Space Shuttle back in '81.  If Blue Origin pans out we will be able to get crews to the ISS and give the Russians a break, although the Soyuz has certainly been a workhorse, I have a magazine article on it, it has as many missions under its belt as the space shuttle with an impeccable safety record.

John

6 hours ago, Cactus521 said:

I was impressed on how smooth the landing was, although at a 16 mph descent rate the crew capsule landing gotta hurt, falling out of a bed hurts, lol. 

Great clip, thanks for the post.

Think the landing boosters went off just before impact, so probably quite gentle.

Although I heard a figure of 10g mentioned in flight, that'll peel your cheeks back... 🙂

Edited by WingZ

17 minutes ago, WingZ said:

Great clip, thanks for the post.

Think the landing boosters went off just before impact, so probably quite gentle.

Although I heard a figure of 10g mentioned in flight, that'll peel your cheeks back... 🙂

I've ridden the Mission Space ride at Epcot in Orlando, which pulls up to 2.5 G's during the brief ride as one "lifts off" from earth, I believe the ride is a big centrifuge, I cannot imagine four times that in Blue Origin, at 2.5 G's I could barely lift my arms in the ride, and my cheeks felt like they were going to fall off my face.  It is quite an intense attraction, they use a fan that blows air at you to help with the feeling of claustrophobia since you are enclosed tightly in the ride's cabin, with mere inches between you and the console in front of you.  The G forces are sustained for a matter of maybe 30 seconds or so a couple of times during the "flight", but they seem like they last much more than that.  I have gone on that attraction many times since the mid 2000's on several trips from Phoenix to Orlando.

John

John I love that ride! It is the only convincing launch sim/ride I've been on, not that in an expert! Actually feeling like you are sat on your back looking up and then feeling the intense acceleration and it being sustained for such a long time. Genuinely incredible experience for all of us normal people!

Chris