Jump to content

jcomm

The Easy World of X-Plane :-)

Recommended Posts

Whenever I'm in the mood to play it, I find good reasons to enjoy, even the most little but sometimes important details...

With my only two airliners in XP11, the Tooliss A319 and the FF A320 U, I started using that great plugin "Better Pushback", but I installed it initially under the

Global Resources folder, thus making it available for any session...

 

Moved it inside the "plugins" folders of those two airliners et voilà - it's only active when it makes sense, which is when I am playing being an Airbus captain 🙂

 

Could it be simpler / cleaner ?

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have 3TB of airports, scenery and libraries on a second disk, and i just shortcut the 2 that im flying to, that way XP doenst has to read all that every time, the beautiful simplicity of XP 😀

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow Marques,

I had never thought of that one!  Good trick !!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, jcomm said:

Wow Marques,

I had never thought of that one!  Good trick !!!!!

Is the best option my friend, you save time and resources, if you have all in the custom scenery folder, every time you fly over one of those airports XP as to read all stuff it in memory and you not even going to see it, well maybe from a cruise altitude 🙂

Some people even delete the global airports folder!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just out of curiosity...

Do you actually "shortcut" à-lá Windowzzze.... or create soft links ?

Edited by jcomm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, jcomm said:

Just out of curiosity...

Do you actually "shortcut" à-lá Windowzzze.... or create soft links ?

Plain and simple windows shortcut, you just fire XP and it creates all the entries in the scenery file, works like a charm 😉 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I run XP11 from a 512 GB USB3 SSD. Linux and Windows binaries coexist in the same installation folder to share the same resources (although it requires a workaround during initial installation of either flavor).

One thing I still need to figure out is a multiplatform solution to automatically copy the right preference files depending on computer name (too lazy to change graphics settings and controller assignments each and every time).

Other than that, I basically have a mulitplatform plug&play flight simulator now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Bjoern said:

I run XP11 from a 512 GB USB3 SSD. Linux and Windows binaries coexist in the same installation folder to share the same resources (although it requires a workaround during initial installation of either flavor).

One thing I still need to figure out is a multiplatform solution to automatically copy the right preference files depending on computer name (too lazy to change graphics settings and controller assignments each and every time).

Other than that, I basically have a mulitplatform plug&play flight simulator now.

What do u mean? you just need to copy the keys, joystick and calibration .prf files located in the preferences folder!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dmarques69 said:

What do u mean? you just need to copy the keys, joystick and calibration .prf files located in the preferences folder!

That's too much work for a lazy person.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bjoern said:

That's too much work for a lazy person.

LOL avsim lacks of a smile reaction, i can even do a .bat for you to do that for 9.99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to be a Dumbo but can you give an example of the short cut. Do you just have a blank Custom Scenery folder in the main Xplane folder and have the short cut to just the scenery required on the other drive?

Would appreciate an example as I'm not clear on how to structure it so that it is seen by Xplane in the Custom Scenery folder, if that's how its done.

Many Thanks

Ian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, bowingic said:

Sorry to be a Dumbo but can you give an example of the short cut. Do you just have a blank Custom Scenery folder in the main Xplane folder and have the short cut to just the scenery required on the other drive?

Would appreciate an example as I'm not clear on how to structure it so that it is seen by Xplane in the Custom Scenery folder, if that's how its done.

Many Thanks

Ian

Ian as simple as it gets, example folder with custom airports in D:/airports, X-plane in C:\X-plane\Custom Scenery, you pick the aiport in D, drag it with the right mouse button to the custom scenry folder release the button and choose create shortcut, you can rename the shortcut for whatever you want then start XP, the aiport is going to show in scenery ini file, you just need to order to the right position, in the case of custom airports they go on top so you dont have to do anything 😉

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, dmarques69 said:

LOL avsim lacks of a smile reaction, i can even do a .bat for you to do that for 9.99

Just because I'm lazy doesn't mean I have no skills. 😛

(Batch scripting is one of them.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2018 at 1:02 PM, dmarques69 said:

I have 3TB of airports, scenery and libraries on a second disk, and i just shortcut the 2 that im flying to, that way XP doenst has to read all that every time, the beautiful simplicity of XP 😀

Hi from Sweden

 

Your way of handling files are 👍🏻👍🏻

But me dont realy understand how you do?

like me y have 2 X 1 TB of SSD 

so y install XP on one of the  2 SSD ok?

then y install all my scenery, addons, libraris, Mesh UHD, Ortho4XP files

on the second SSD?

y dont understand what you mean with just shortcut, 

y now how to shurtcut for ex to my desktop.....

I mean the result when y start XP having the rest of

the files on a second SSD without making any shorcuts

well be that XP is missing files and cant run the Sim ”Right”??

maybe you could show a pictures?

sorry to be a 🧐🧐

thx

nils 🇸🇪🛩

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 3:41 PM, dmarques69 said:

Ian as simple as it gets, example folder with custom airports in D:/airports, X-plane in C:\X-plane\Custom Scenery, you pick the aiport in D, drag it with the right mouse button to the custom scenry folder release the button and choose create shortcut, you can rename the shortcut for whatever you want then start XP, the aiport is going to show in scenery ini file, you just need to order to the right position, in the case of custom airports they go on top so you dont have to do anything 😉 

Dumbo nr 2 gona tried that THX so mutch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have several free add-on airports, my favorite being SFO, they all have high framerates and much greater detail than the Xplane11 originals.  I have two payware add-on aircraft, the Aerobask Eclipse, my favorite add-on between Xplane11 and P3DV4, and the Carenado PC-12, a great single engine turboprop, fun to fly, and oh so useful operating from smaller airstrips.  I use the Xplane11 default scenery, landclass and mesh.  Used to use Ortho scenery but now prefer the default scenery because it so well replicates what one sees in real world flying.  I use the default clouds, often playing with the cloud layers to get just the ambiance I want.  I love Xplane11's replay feature, which allows me to fly the route I want, land well, then replay and view my flight from all angles so I can capture just the right video or screenshot.  I think Xplane11 is the most full featured flightsim out there, with lots of (to borrow a phrase from Disney) "hidden Mickeys" within the sim.  It proves that a small operation can put out stellar software when they know their consumer well.  Xplane kept our hobby alive when Microsoft pulled out of MSFS, and it forced Lockheed Martin to create a better flight sim than what we had before with FSX.  Good competitors keep the competition honest and thirsty to satisfy the consumer, and since our hobby is largely full of pilots or those trying to become one, the consumers are satisfied and honored to be recognized.

John

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's one for you; I've not used X-Plane default weather since XP9 days. 

I'm using XP11 and bought SkymaxxPro as soon as got XP11 and have used it ever since.

Watched a Jeff Favignano video where his weather looked amazing!  He said it was default!

So I removed SkyMaxxPro a week ago and ......voila! ..... with XP11.25 default, a huge improvement to my weather, and better FPS!

XP11 just rocks. 

Edited by JYW
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still using default weather and textures. Don't see much of a point in all those third party replacements other than adding potential for compatibility issues and instability. The latter is one of the bigger sources of frustration, since a buggy add-on can crash the entire sim without a hint as to why (as experienced with Zibo 3.28 - 3.29 runs much more stable so far).

One thing I also couldn't figure out yet is how to run it properly on Linux. XP does work, but framerates are half of what I'm getting on Windows 10.

 

Did a flight in FSXSE a while ago. It looks and feels...old. And the performance is worse(!).

Edited by Bjoern

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 11:41 PM, dmarques69 said:

Ian as simple as it gets, example folder with custom airports in D:/airports, X-plane in C:\X-plane\Custom Scenery, you pick the aiport in D, drag it with the right mouse button to the custom scenry folder release the button and choose create shortcut, you can rename the shortcut for whatever you want then start XP, the aiport is going to show in scenery ini file, you just need to order to the right position, in the case of custom airports they go on top so you dont have to do anything 😉

Thanks for that. Just to be clear the short cut resides in the Custom Scenery folder and X-plane can handle that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, bowingic said:

Thanks for that. Just to be clear the short cut resides in the Custom Scenery folder and X-plane can handle that?

Yes

full.png

Example from my INI file

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/THE-FAIB Aircraft Library/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/THE-FRUIT-STAND Aircraft Library v2.2/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Vehicle Library Extension/
SCENERY_PACK_DISABLED Custom Scenery/gbpro/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/world-models/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/world-models-0.8.0/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/XAirportScenery/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/------------------------ Ortho -----------------------/
SCENERY_PACK D:\yOrtho4XP_Overlays/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/------------------- Ortho Australia ----------------/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/X-Plane Landmarks - Sydney/
SCENERY_PACK F:\Ortho Torrents\Australia_v1\zz_Ortho_Australia--SydneyHD/
SCENERY_PACK F:\Ortho Torrents\Australia_v1\zz_Ortho_Australia-Western/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/------------------- Ortho Europe --------------------/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/------------ Ortho Europe Finland Estonia ------------/
SCENERY_PACK F:\Ortho Torrents\z_Finland-Estonia/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/------------- Ortho Europe Great Britain -------------/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/----------------- Ortho Europe Spain -----------------/
SCENERY_PACK F:\Ortho Torrents\z_SpainUHDv2_+36-002/
SCENERY_PACK F:\Ortho Torrents\z_SpainUHDv2_+36-003/
SCENERY_PACK F:\Ortho Torrents\z_SpainUHDv2_+36-004/
SCENERY_PACK F:\Ortho Torrents\z_SpainUHDv2_+36-005/
SCENERY_PACK F:\Ortho Torrents\z_SpainUHDv2_+36-006/

 

Edited by Glenn_C
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couldn't really be simpler :-)

And rgdng JYW's post above, me too :-)  Just default XP11.25 weather is just fine and actually accurate enough for the kind of "flying " I do in the sim.

But of course I am looking fwd for ASXP....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, jcomm said:

Couldn't really be simpler 🙂

And rgdng JYW's post above, me too 🙂 Just default XP11.25 weather is just fine and actually accurate enough for the kind of "flying " I do in the sim.

But of course I am looking fwd for ASXP....

ASXP = Active Sky?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...