Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

Middle East Navigation

I'm planning a flight from EDDF to OMDB and RouteFinder sends me straight over Iraq. I can't help but think that this flight path is currently prohibited, yes? Does anybody know which general routes flights are being forced to take, if at all?ThanksAlden

If I saw correctly on the news yesterday, I think Bahgdad is now open to commercial traffic or at least limited traffic.In any case did you check all the restriction boxes in routfinder, if you did, then your route is probably valid.I just did the opposite flight of what you did...lol.

What about flying Israeli commercial aircraft on routes from Tel Aviv to Africa or Asia. Are there areas that they have to avoid?

Windows 7 Professional 64bit; P3DV4, ASP4, REXSF, UTL, ProATCx 

I7-4790k @ 4.4; Asus Maximus Formula VII; Asus Strix GTX 1080ti; 16GB G.Skill Trident X DDR3 2400; Corsair H110; EVGA Supernova 1000P2, Single 32" 4k Monitor 

Save a Life: adopt a retired racing greyhound

I did the BGN flight also. I could not find any actual STAR's for BGN for the life of me, just an area map. To tell you the truth I just flew the ILS from over Jeruselum (spelling I think). You might have to sort of ignore any geo politcal lines if you know what I mean.

Alden,I can't imagine why overflight of Iraq would be an issue, as there is no air war going on.Check out this site: http://www.airiraqco.com/index.htmCommercial aviation into and out of Iraq is risky, but expanding.

Best Regards,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

San Diego, CA

Beta tester for PMDG J41 & NGX, Flight1 Super King Air B200, Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustang, Flight1 Cessna 182, Flight1 Cessna 177B, Aeroworx B200

>I did the BGN flight also. I could not find any actual>STAR's for BGN for the life of me, just an area map. To tell>you the truth I just flew the ILS from over Jeruselum>(spelling I think). You might have to sort of ignore any geo>politcal lines if you know what I mean.I could never find charts for BGN either. FS seems to give me RWY30 a lot and I always seem to get vectored over the West Bank. I am pretty sure they don't do that in real life. I guess the hard part is that El Al does operate flights to Thailand, Hong Kong and India but it seems like they may have to go out of their way quite a bit to avoid certain countries.

Windows 7 Professional 64bit; P3DV4, ASP4, REXSF, UTL, ProATCx 

I7-4790k @ 4.4; Asus Maximus Formula VII; Asus Strix GTX 1080ti; 16GB G.Skill Trident X DDR3 2400; Corsair H110; EVGA Supernova 1000P2, Single 32" 4k Monitor 

Save a Life: adopt a retired racing greyhound

I did find the SID and all the IAP charts, but there doesn't seem to be any actual STAR charts, just an area chart.That ILS is actually the right procedure. In fact I think all but 1 or 2 approaches are directly over the BGN VOR to a procedure turn to final. They're actual full procedure ILS's. I was lucky enough to have VATIL ATC on during my entire approach and landing and they gave me pretty much to the T the exact published procedure.I think the charts are found at the either the VATSIM Israel site or the El AL VA, I can't remember where I got them.

I flew from Heathrow on BA in April of 05 to Kuwait City, and Gulf Air from Heathrow to Muscat, Oman in May of 06. Both flights went directly over Iraq and in fact, directly over Bahgdad. The flight in April of 2005 was very interesting. It was the normal BA 11'ish a.m. departure, arriving Kuwait City sometime around 10 - 11 p.m. The oil well fires and the gas burn off really made a spectacular view when flying over the south of Irag. So, the answer is, at least as of April 05 and since, there are no restrictions flying jetways over Iraq in the real world.