Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

swissa340

No autogen in P3d v4.3

One of the test I did, I found sitting in UK2000 Heathrow with AI 100% vehicle traffic 40% no FFTF running spot view switching the AI went black no texture for a second, starting FFTF this stopped and my FPS went up 3-4 to mid 20s. 

This is Traffic Global by the way JF AI program which I'm testing. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

11 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Hi Alex,

I've been working on the no AG problem and will post my finding/results tonight in the "Blurries" thread.  The ONLY way I was able to make sure AG never disappeared and terrain remained crisp was to switch from TFR (Target Frame Rate) = Unlimited TO TFR = 31, Vsync On, FFTF = 0.33 (default, any lower value would eventually trigger AG to stop rendering) ... this was testing at 3000-7000 ft with speed of 400-500Kts with the following add-ons (Orbx FTX Global, Vector, OpenLC, HD Trees, Turbulent Flora, PILOTs 2018 NG Mesh, CP, HiFi AS4, etc.).

I was able to duplicate the AG problem with just one add-on (FTX Global) when running Unlimited.  With ZERO add-ons Unlimited works just fine.  The downside is that performance is smoother with Unlimited and Vsync On, but I lose all my AG rather quickly during a flight.  If you run a 30Hz monitor then TFR=31 and Vsync still work pretty good but there will be some long frames.

I've got everything recorded, just need to do some voice over and put up on YouTube.

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the tips. I'll try it out and wait for your video and then I'll report back here.

Cheers, Alex

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

3 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

What I don't understand about dynamic FFTF is how AG would recover when it dynamically changes the FFTF value to 0.01 (or any value low enough to trigger AG to stop rendering) ... once AG get so far behind in batching it just stops, there is no "catchup" so it requires a scenery reload at this point.  Also how is Dynamic FFTF measuring "load", simply by altitude or is it hooking into main core CPU load?

First: yes, you can configure the tool as such as that for example as soon as you are above a defined altitude, e.g. 5000ft, the tool dynamically changes the FFTF from 0.1 to 0.33. But honestly, I fear exactly what you mention: that if you start with FFTF=0.1 on a heavy airport, autogen loading is corrupted and also dynamically switching to 0.33 will not resolve this but only a reload would cure it.

Somebody with this tool Needs to test this. But then, there are people complaining about autogen loading problems that use the tool, that's basically proof enough already, no?

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

12 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

switch from TFR (Target Frame Rate) = Unlimited TO TFR = 31, Vsync On, FFTF = 0.33 (default, any lower value would eventually trigger AG to stop rendering) ... this was testing at 3000-7000 ft with speed of 400-500Kts with the following add-ons (Orbx FTX Global, Vector, OpenLC, HD Trees, Turbulent Flora, PILOTs 2018 NG Mesh, CP, HiFi AS4, etc.).

Rob,

Will these setting also fix the loading tiles in the distance in certain areas?

I'm locked at 30fps, vsync on, and FFTF=0.15 with good performance.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Yapp, it seems that the tradeoff for FFTF=0.15 seems to be the autogen and maybe also the tile loading in the distance.

Actually, it is not really surprising, if we take a step back:

- using default prepar3d.cfg and limited FPS to 30, you get a defined performance, e.g. 20FPS.

- modifying the prepar3d.cfg only with a FFTF value lower than default, you suddenly get 30FPS.

Now, considering that you never get FPS for free, it is rather not surprising that those higher FPS due to the lower FFTF come with a cost. If lowering the FFTF value would simply provide more FPS without chaning anything relevant, LM would have already introduced this as a fix in their releases.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

It's the old "Rob Peter to pay Paul" adage. 😀

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

On 8/9/2018 at 7:16 AM, Rob Ainscough said:

To be honest, I'd rather just see Unlimited work well with a Vsync 30.  But all this effort in "tweaking" might be a moot point later on in the year.  But for the here and now, if Dynamic FFTF works for you, go for it.

Cheers, Rob.

Long time lurker and thanks for all your work Rob.

I have recently upgraded to 2080TI / 9900K @ 5GHz etc and the improvements are pretty stunning. But like you I am having really bad autogen problems.

As a programmer myself it seems clear this is a bug with the algorithm in Prepar3D rather than a hardware issue.

Here is my example:

Setup

FTX England / FTX Land Class / FTX Global / Ultimate Traffic

Settings

Terrain all maxed (apart from Mesh 2m) / Complexity Very Dense / Autogen distance High / Veg Normal / Building Normal / Lighting all maxed (shadow medium) / Water maxed 

Tweaks

Affinity Mask to stop using Hyper threaded cores and Core 0

Sat at Gatwick Extreme with 100% Ultimate Traffic I am seeing amazing frame rates 30-40fps when using Unlimted and NVidia fast Sync

Perfect. The CPU is sat at 55 degrees. Takeoff and fly south, FPS goes up to 50FPS, this is wonderful. Suddenly I reach the end of the autogen. Switch to outside view and pause. 40-50fps the computer is killing it, but nothing is loading infront of the plane? 1minute later autogen starts popping in.

I get it that different cores are being used to load autogen but the algorithm sucks, what you notice if you switch to outside view is that it will be loading autogen tiles 5 miles behind the plane! Surely the tiling should be favoured infront of the aircraft?

Did you ever create that video you mentioned? Have you got any tips?

Things I tried 

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.40 (I was getting blurries too)

Locking to frame rate, kills performance 10-15FPS lost and I dont see any Autogen improvement

Reduce settings all the way down, still has this issue but less outside FTX areas.

Hardware: i9 9900k@ 5Ghz  |  RTX 2080 TI  |  AORUS MASTER  |  58" Panasonic TV

Software: P3Dv4.4  |  AS  |   Orbx LC/TE Southern England  |  Tomatoshade  |  737 NGX | AS A319 | PMDG 747 | TFDI 717 | MJC8 Q400

Yes, I had made a video here back when I was testing P3D V4.3 (haven't tested in V4.4 but I see no reason why it would be different):

Beau's (LM) information and my testing results seem to conflict ... but I'm going to stick with how it actually operates on my systems (sorry Beau).  In my testing, FFTF had no relevance when TFR= Unlimited (Vsync or no Vsync).  When using "Unlimited" with sufficient flight speed at low altitudes with high AG settings and unlimited, AG will eventually stop loading and higher res terrain tiles will stop loading.  Switching to TFR=XX then FFTF becomes relevant ... the higher your graphics settings the more the need to adjust FFTF higher which reduces FPS.  But you have to also take into consideration your flight speed as that will have an impact ... if you typically fly around 120 Kts then you can make adjustments and "unlimited" might even work with high AG/terrain res settings.  But if you typically fly 400-500Kts with high AG/terrain res settings then its likely Unlimited will trigger AG and terrain loading problems.

With the CPU's I've used, HT OFF and no AM value has always produced the best results (keep in mind I do overclock).

It's a balancing act and will vary by location and add-ons used (and active) and flight speed.

Cheers, Rob.

6 hours ago, DellyPilot said:

Tweaks

Affinity Mask to stop using Hyper threaded cores and Core 0

In 4.3 this caused major blurries and autogen loss on my rig at even low speeds (<150 kts).

Haven't tested in 4.4 yet.

In 4.3 I had best results giving P3D full use of all cores (HT=ON).  Whereas my add-ons I kept OFF of Core 0 and 1 via Process Lasso.  This seemed to work best for me and I never outran my autogen or my textures.  Framelocked at 30 with 30 refresh.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.