jmdriskell

Win 10 Updates, FSX Stopped Working

Apparently Microsoft dropped some updates on my Win 10 Home Edition machine last night (8/15/18 about 1 AM).  Now FSX will not come up..  I have just rebuild my machine with a new HD and a clean install of Win 10 Home.  I reinstalled FSX on a SSD (D:/FSX).  Until now the system has been working OK while I worked out some kinks but as of this morning, I'm dead in the water.  Can anyone suggest where I might look to determine my problems or suggest any utilities that might disclose the matter?  Thanks in advance,

Jim Driskell

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Posted (edited)

One suggestion is to locate the fsx.cfg file, usually located something like: "C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\". Make a secure backup to another location.  Then delete it.  When you start FSX the next time it will rebuild it, and may advance you through several prompts based on add-ons you have installed.  See if that will resolve the issue.  If not, reposition the backup you made and continue problem solving from there.

You can try the same with scenery.cfg.

Those are worth a try before spending hours chasing other ghosts.  Good luck!

Also check Windows permissions for the folder(s) related to FSX.  That in case the updates did something there.

Updates installed on my system this morning and all is still good on my system.

Edited by fppilot

Hi Frank,

Tried rebuilding the fsx.cfg and scenery.cfg files but no joy.  FSX seems to start, asks lots of questions about the addons, then seems to start but never moves off the first flash screen.  I never see the familiar menu for settings, free flight, etc.  I'm at the point of dumping the whole system, and either starting from scratch or switching to FSX-Steam.  I'd goto P3Dv4 (64 bit) but I've got a lot of $ tied up in addons for FSX.

Any ideas?

Jim

Jim;

I feel your pain.  The Winhose 10 auto-updates have borked my system multiple times.  I believe that the purpose of Windows 10 is to simulate the enemy in a cyberwar.  :-S

Where do you have FSX installed?  If it's in the default folder (in a Program Files (x86) directory), it could be UAC getting in the way--if you had it turned off before, it may have been re-enabled.  Also, have you tried running FSX explicitly as admin since the updates?  Also, check your hardware and driver settings...sometimes when Win 10 updates with new drivers, it resets things, like defaulting back to a default nVidia driver, default/changed sound settings, re-enabling previously disabled devices, like an nVidia HD sound device etc.  In particular, check your video driver and sound device defaults.

Good luck!

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, jmdriskell said:

Any ideas?

Jim, Have you tried rolling back the updates?  Right click on the Windows Start icon, select Settings, then Update and Security, then Windows Updates, then Update History.  There you will find the option to Uninstall Updates.  I have had to do that on a couple of occasions, though neither was related to FSX.

There is also the possibility that its due to a video driver. Either a newer one installed by the updates, or an older driver that is not compliant with the updates.

Edited by fppilot

Posted (edited)

The update address the Intel security issue update,, AMD performance degradation , NET framework DLL errors , and others.

PS no the problems on my end so far P3Dv4.3, Windows 10 home retail, latest Nvidia drivers already installed.

Edited by rjfry

Thanks for the insight but I've dumped FSX and installed FSX-SE.  I did have some problems when I first installed FSX that had to be corrected (I thought) but the sim seemed to run OK until yesterday.  I installed it on a separate SSD which is about 5 years old (as is the rest of my machine).  Maybe I had a problem on that drive but in any event, I'll try FSX-SE.

Thanks again for y'alls interest.

Jim Driskell