Sign in to follow this  
JacobSutton

No DME for the ILS

The other day I was flying an approach into EHAM I was on short final and still not getting any DME from the ILS in the PMDG 777.  I thought it may be something to do with the airport so yesterday I conducted a 2 hr flight from EGLL to ESSA and still no DME for the whole approach and landing.  Anyone know why?

- Jacob Sutton

What runway and scenery?,some have no DME.

Edited by BIGSKY

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

1 hour ago, BIGSKY said:

What runway and scenery?,some have no DME.

Runway 18C at EHAM and 01L at ESSA with default scenery.  Also I've done another flight and EGLL runway 27R also has no DME.

- Jacob Sutton

The default scenery is older than the trees anyway... and not necessarily correct. I‘d always check back with the map as long as the navdata isn‘t updated

Some stations don't provide DME you have to use timing to find the MAP. The timing should be on the approach plate just find your category (it's based on approach speed) and read off the time

Edited by z06z33

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Yeah - definitely not necessarily our issue. Have to make sure your scenery is up to date.

JYO, for example, is LOC-only in the default sim scenery. It's had an ILS for over a decade in the real world, but in order to get that in the sim (accurately), you need to have updated scenery. Further to the point, the ILS approach to JYO does use DME, though it has fallbacks to cross radials from the older LOC approach.

Kyle Rodgers

1 hour ago, Jovabra said:

If i read the latest nav chart is see only that the distance is related from SPL (108.4 VOR/DME)

The link appears to be to the NDB approach rather than the ILS, but even so (and confirmed by the ILS chart) the 18C ILS (ZWA/109.5) most certainly does have a DME which is ranged to read zero at the threshold. However, SPL DME distances are also provided in the event the ZWA DME is inoperative.

The most common error with an ILS in default scenery, and any developer that uses default navaids, the a missing DME.  The DME used to be rare but are now found on more and more approaches, the DME is cheaper than the marker beacons and locators that the DME replaces.  Error is incorrect term, as this wasn't an error when the default scenery was originally compiled but it is an error for developers of payware scenery to continue to use default navaids and they are all guilty.

Use ADE to update the ILS, and while you are at it you notice that the name of the approach using the simulator's map to view the ILS data will clearly indicate either ILS or ILS/DME... and that is how you know in advance if the DME is missing.

Edited by downscc

Dan Downs KCRP

On 8/29/2018 at 2:41 PM, Jovabra said:

Hi,

Are you sure about a paired ILS/DME fequencie at EHAM 18C. If i read the latest nav chart is see only that the distance is related from SPL (108.4 VOR/DME)

http://www.ais-netherlands.nl/aim/2018-08-02-AIRAC/graphics/eAIP/EH-AD-2.EHAM-IAC-18C-2.pdf

Regards.
Jo va Braa

Sorry my mistake.

This is the correct link.

http://www.ais-netherlands.nl/aim/2018-07-05-AIRAC/graphics/eAIP/EH-AD-2.EHAM-IAC-18C-1.pdf

Regards and succes
Jo va Braa