Sign in to follow this  
Himbi

Bad performance...

Hello together,

since P3D is supporting 64bit systems under version v4 a lot of people are talking about better performance and a lot of improvements.

For me the development is totally in the opposite direction. To be honest I had the best performance with FSX, P3Dv2 was okay, v3 already a bit worser but now with v4 it is horrible and I really loose the excitement about flying...

Of course the number of CTD decreases a lot and the shadows and dynamic lighting looks fantastic!

But the performance of the sim is very bad...

My FPS are not going above 20FPS... on a good day they can reach up to 30FPS (do not ask me why) but also then it is no fluent picture... a lot of micro stutters makes the sim looks everything else than smooth... changing the view also takes a lot of time and you are always near a heart attack because you think "Hopefully it will not crash".

I am flying online so you need to open Firefox for charts or maybe during cruise you would like to do different stuff but it is nealry impossible to open an other program next to P3D...

The interaction in the cockpit is also very bad due to those poor FPS because you have to change the view, rotate knobs etc. which takes a lot of time and is annoying. Ju can not just flip a switch. Put the cursor on it, wait, click, wait, see if it works or do it again...

My addons:

PMDG 737 (-6,-7,-8,-9)

PMDG 747v3

PMDG 777 (-200LR/F,-300ER)

FSLabs A32X (319/320)

REX Sky Force 3D

PC:

Intel Core i7 4790K

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760

8GB RAM

Before someone reminds me about my setting in the sim, I already throw my sliders to the left and things like buildings, trees etc. (stuff you do not see during crusie) are already deactivated. HDR is also not on. Shadows are just related to the aircraft. No buildings, no terrain, no clouds.

Any suggestions ?! 🤔🙄😞

To be honest: with your gfx card and only 8 GB you can't expect much more fps.

To be honest I had the best performance with FSX, P3Dv2 was okay, v3 already a bit worser but now with v4 it is horrible and I really loose the excitement about flying...

You see, your hardware evolution stood still were the simulator was continously was upgraded and also stuffed with high demand addons from PMDG and FSL.

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

Yeah, your gpu is a problem. Your only chance at running the sim in a meaningful way is to make sure you are not running any textures above 1024 in size. If you're running ai you might want to run those at the smallest  excecptable size ....I think it around 380kb.

i don’t know anything about Rex, but make sure your cloud textures are as small as possible.

you do the above, you should be ok with your main memory of 8gb.

oh, make sure that terain texture box is not checked.

edit: all the above assumes that your cpu isn’t bogged down by a poorly running system.

Edited by FunknNasty

Like others have said your GPU is severely underpowered.  Each progression of P3D has shifted a little bit of the workload from the CPU to the graphics card.  Be careful with your SkyForce settings.  It will tax my 7700K (4.9ghz) and 1080Ti if I'm not careful.

Matt Wilson

Well... these are definitely not good news but I expected something like this...

I have no idea how hard my graphic card must work. The RAM is at his limit, yes.

But the weird think is that the sim shows e.g. 35FPS but the picture is stuttering and horrible... why are the frames so high but the picture not fluent ?

And to be honest... I spent so much money on the new sim/planes, there is no money left for a new system.

Minimum GTX 970 or equivalent. I have a GTX 1080 (not TI) and it is running at 75-85% processor with P3Dv4. Memory usage on it is 100% most of the time. 

4 minutes ago, Himbi said:

I have no idea how hard my graphic card must work. The RAM is at his limit, yes.

NVidia Inspector will tell you in real time what your GPU is doing.

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

I am really short before to stop anything in relation with flying becaus it is no fun anymore or switch back to older systems like FSX...

13 minutes ago, Luke said:

NVidia Inspector will tell you in real time what your GPU is doing.

Cheers!

I will try it and give you an answer, thanks.

First: reduce your fps limit to 20 and activate vsync and try again.

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

11 minutes ago, JoeFackel said:

First: reduce your fps limit to 20 and activate vsync and try again.

If I apply this the GPU Load reduced from 100% to 80%.

Does your RAM consists of 2 Sticks (each 4GB)? When yes it also could be that they are connected wrong to your motherboard.
Just discovered this for me last week that I run my system since 2 years with a wrong physical ram installation. After changing this I gained an average of 10fps more with higher settings.

When this is fine for you I would suggest adding another 8Gb of ram. It is probably the easiest and cheapest upgrade you can do. But of course it isn't a promise that it will work, but nowadays I think 16GB are almost the minimum when playing modern games.

5 minutes ago, Labbi85 said:

Does your RAM consists of 2 Sticks (each 4GB)? When yes it also could be that they are connected wrong to your motherboard.
Just discovered this for me last week that I run my system since 2 years with a wrong physical ram installation. After changing this I gained an average of 10fps more with higher settings.

When this is fine for you I would suggest adding another 8Gb of ram. It is probably the easiest and cheapest upgrade you can do. But of course it isn't a promise that it will work, but nowadays I think 16GB are almost the minimum when playing modern games.

I think there are two with each 4GB but I am not sure.

RAM is about 1GB left when flying...

25 minutes ago, Himbi said:

If I apply this the GPU Load reduced from 100% to 80%.

And thats GOOD!

Signature3.png

15 minutes ago, JoeFackel said:

And thats GOOD!

The aircraft was parked at a gate, I will perform a test flight tomorrow.

51 minutes ago, Himbi said:

I think there are two with each 4GB but I am not sure.

Ok, when you have 2 sticks and 4 ports on your motherboard then check that you connect them according to the manual. In my case I installed them right into the 2 ports next to each other, but my manual says they should be connected to the ports with the same color which ended up being port 1 & 3 instead of 1 & 2.

You can also make a benchmark with http://www.userbenchmark.com/  and compare your components with the same components from other users. It will show you if your components are working within the speed range they are supposed to work. This side initally showed me that my RAM was too slow and made me aware that I had to change the slots.

I can imagine that having 1 GB left makes your system shovel all the data around to get enough free space and therefor slows the whole system down. I would recommend to get more RAM.

In idle my system is already using 4.5GB with no demanding programms open, so with only 8GB this means that there is only 3.5GB left.

What is your RAM usage in idle just for the system running?