Sign in to follow this  
ideoplastic

New MD11 for P3Dv4.3

MD-11 style ND goes in VC, FMC goes in VC. ND control panel is 2D popup same as MCU.

Folks, i still owe you proper panel.cfg entries, i know. I was busy recently hence delay. Hope will find sime time this weekend.

7 hours ago, Benjamin J said:

So this thing has been out for a little while now - has the opinion on it changed? How is it with the ISG gauges?

ISG's PFD (vc), MD11ND (vc), MCU, SMITH FMS, and EFIS CTRL (2D popups) all installed on mine, which I think greatly improves the VC: (I did not like the installed PFD). I think CHOCK has summed up the aircraft well, so just read through his posts. I've not attempted an auto-land so nothing to say about it. I especially enjoy the hand flying segments of a flight...and I've had no auto pilot issues. Using ISG gauges and loading a flight plan through its MCU or FMS is the way to go for closer-to-reality flying. This has somehow turned into one of my favorite airliners. fwiw.      

• Like 1

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

Is anyone else have issues with the auto throttle/altitude?  The latter has been really problematic!  I would appreciate any insight...

Matt King

Are there any repaints available...?? Of the few that I found in the file library here, the textures are in the older BMP file format, so I don't think those will work will they..??

Edited by SunDevil56

42 minutes ago, SunDevil56 said:

Are there any repaints available...?? Of the few that I found in the file library here, the textures are in the older BMP file format, so I don't think those will work will they..??

It should be absolutely fine, as I have some liveries in the older format myself for various AI aircraft. It's true that DDS is better - I believe the performance is *supposes* to be better with it. You can convert them to DDS yourself using DXTBmp, I've often done that..

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

51 minutes ago, Benjamin J said:

It should be absolutely fine, as I have some liveries in the older format myself for various AI aircraft. It's true that DDS is better - I believe the performance is *supposes* to be better with it. You can convert them to DDS yourself using DXTBmp, I've often done that..

Thanks Benjamin, i'll give that a try and see how they look.

UPDATE: Unfortunately it didn't work, the VC displays fine, but the fuselage is completely black and there a some other texture issues with the AC. I got the DXTBmp program and converted all the BMP's to DDS, but I'm not certain what format to save them as because there are about 8 choices, so I simply tried the one at the top of the list which was "DXT1 no alpha" or something like that..

FYI, the repaint I got from the library here is Thai Airways if you want to take a look at it and maybe see what i'm doing wrong, but if not, no worries.

Edited by SunDevil56

So if the fuselage is completely black, make sure that this repaint is in fact compatible with this new product. Black usually means one of two things: the correct texture is missing, or the provided texture has the wrong name (a black model in FSX/P3D is an untextured model). For all I know they probably made a new model, perhaps not from scratch, but at any rate it will have changed the mapping of the textures onto the model and thereby file names. So, two things you should check first:

1) Do the repaints work with the old BMP format?

2) if not, you can go into the repaint's folder and check the number of files included, and what names they have. Then go into any folder that comes with this plane by default, and compare. You will want to check, first, if the names are the same. If they are, check the layout of your downloaded repaint with the included repaint. Are fuselage sections in the same area? That sort of thing.

At the very least the conversion from BMP to DDS will not generate a black model, because the model calls texture files with a certain name, so if the name differs or can't be found, then that's a problem...

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

I tried already to use their old textures but it didn't work because they are using a different paint kit.

I was told by developers that soon they will release the first livery pack.

Edited by alexitua

2 hours ago, alexitua said:

I was told by developers that soon they will release the first livery pack.

That's good news.

On 11/23/2018 at 8:08 AM, Chocorua said:

ISG's PFD (vc), MD11ND (vc), MCU, SMITH FMS, and EFIS CTRL (2D popups) all installed on mine, which I think greatly improves the VC: (I did not like the installed PFD). I think CHOCK has summed up the aircraft well, so just read through his posts. I've not attempted an auto-land so nothing to say about it. I especially enjoy the hand flying segments of a flight...and I've had no auto pilot issues. Using ISG gauges and loading a flight plan through its MCU or FMS is the way to go for closer-to-reality flying. This has somehow turned into one of my favorite airliners. fwiw.      

Chocorua, could I bother you for a copy of your panel.cfg file? Having trouble getting ISG setup on the MD-11..

Thanks

Edited by Dholter

Window04 = ISG MCU

Window05 = ISG HW MD11 EFIS CTRL

Window06 = ISG HW MD11 ND

[Window03]
Background_color = 0,0,0
size_mm = 197,271
window_size_ratio = 1.000
position = 0
visible = 0
ident = 4004
window_size = 0.500, 0.500
window_pos = 0.000, 0.000
gauge00 = isg1!SMITHS_FMS,  0,0,197,271

[Window04]
Background_color = 0,0,0
size_mm = 312,214
position = 4
window_pos = 0.1541,0.3133
window_size = 0.1888,0.2044
visible = 0
ident = 4001
gauge00 = isg1!MCU,  0,0,312,214,ACDMD11

[Window05]
Background_color = 0,0,0
size_mm = 315,310
visible = 0
ident = 4013
window_pos = 0.7332,0.0922
window_size = 0.2500, 0.2500
gauge00 = isg1!MD11_EFIS_CTRL,  0,0,315,310

[Window06]
Background_color = 0,0,0
size_mm = 255,275
window_size_ratio = 1.000
position = 0
visible = 0
ident = 4007
window_size = 0.500, 0.500
window_pos = 0.000, 0.000
gauge00 = isg1!HW_MD11_ND,0,0,255,275,WN

[Vcockpit01]

replace gauge01 line with:

gauge01 = isg1!HW_MD11_ND_NB, 0,0,256,256,VC

[Vcockpit02]

replace gauge08 line with:

gauge08 = isg1!SMITHS_FMS,  254,5,260,408

So... I've gone and paid over the odds from Just Flight 😅 £39.99 - but that was entirely my decision as I am far too late to the party for PMDG's rendition (FSX) and wanted a semi- decent tri-holer freight dog rather than the assorted freeware I had with 2d cockpit panels... Don't get me wrong, I've had fun with them, but I wanted a "little" more systems immersion..

So far so good. I installed the jet and then installed Sky Simulations Service pack 1. Despite the idiosyncrasies, I can enjoy a decent 3d cockpit with a start-up procedure (FMC excepted of course!). I'm looking forward to taking in on a proper trip to see what the fuel system does with the tail tank and CG etc. 

With engines running on the ramp I deliberately emptied most of the fuel out of the centre tanks (the tail is part of that group as far as FSX is concerned) and watched the automatics transfer fuel to the tail to top it back up.

As a simmer who still enjoys the "Lite"-er side of the hobby, I can appreciate what Sky Simulations has done so far. Any improvements would always be appreciated of course!

(my most complex payware is the excellent Connie from A2A).

I have some questions, but I'll post them over in the FSX part of the forums 😎 Cheers!

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)