Sign in to follow this  
Hercfeend

Just start her up a go fly....

Hey all,

Like so many before me I guess, I've set up a sim to help with 'real world' flight training requirements, i.e. I recently renewed my IR with the help of FSX and the RealityXP GTN650.  Probably saved me hundreds of $$$ of actual mistakes in the air.  Great tool.

So, the next step for me is to do some airline interview prep in the 777.  Just straight forward stuff really, T/O, Climb, S&L, Medium Turn, Steep Turn, Idle Descent, ILS and landing.  

The issue I'm having is my throttles keep going to idle in the climb to 6k.  I've read a load of stuff now about this being a potential config issue, with various resolutions.  I've also read mention of the FMS set up, and this potentially having an impact of settings.

My question:  Is there a way to just get in a fly?  i.e. Manually adjust the throttles for T/O, climb etc.  Can you just 'clear' the FMS so it doesn't try to out smart you?  The sim check doesn't expect you to be able to understand a 777, it's just what they use to test basic flying skills (the actual job is flying TPs).

Any help would be appreciated,

Cheers
Herc!  (see, I even read the 'please sigh' sticky 😉 ) 

I'd recommend the DC6 if you just want the enjoyment of flying.  The 777 is very dependent on proper programming of the FMS, and due to its fly by wire control system this is probably the least desirable aircraft to just kick the tires and go with.

I don't understand why you would not want to learn how to configure such a beautiful machine... it takes time, some effort but you don't need an advanced degree in anything... just jump in and starting learning.

Dan Downs KCRP

I don't know the 777 systems sufficiently to pinpoint what could be the cause of your issue, but on a basic level just entering the weights, a departure and arrival runway and the takeoff performance should be sufficient.

A normal takeoff would then use autothrottle and flight directors, but once airborne there shouldn't be any reason why you shouldn't be able to just disengage the autothrottle, turn off the FDs and fly whatever manoeuvres you fancy.

What is a bad idea (and may catch you out) is if you have the FDs on and autothrottle engaged in manual flight but are not following the FDs as the active FD modes may influence autothrottle behaviour.

As with any automated aircraft, the Flight Mode Annunciator (FMA) above the PFD is key: make sure you know what modes you are (or aren't) in any any given time.

On 11/1/2018 at 4:19 AM, Hercfeend said:

Hey all,

Like so many before me I guess, I've set up a sim to help with 'real world' flight training requirements, i.e. I recently renewed my IR with the help of FSX and the RealityXP GTN650.  Probably saved me hundreds of $$$ of actual mistakes in the air.  Great tool.

So, the next step for me is to do some airline interview prep in the 777.  Just straight forward stuff really, T/O, Climb, S&L, Medium Turn, Steep Turn, Idle Descent, ILS and landing.  

The issue I'm having is my throttles keep going to idle in the climb to 6k.  I've read a load of stuff now about this being a potential config issue, with various resolutions.  I've also read mention of the FMS set up, and this potentially having an impact of settings.

My question:  Is there a way to just get in a fly?  i.e. Manually adjust the throttles for T/O, climb etc.  Can you just 'clear' the FMS so it doesn't try to out smart you?  The sim check doesn't expect you to be able to understand a 777, it's just what they use to test basic flying skills (the actual job is flying TPs).

Any help would be appreciated,

Cheers
Herc!  (see, I even read the 'please sigh' sticky 😉 ) 

Yes, you can just start a flight with the engines running, set a few items, and takeoff for a quick manual flight.

Do not modify anything in the FMS/CDU, set flaps 5, FD's on, MCP HDG/Alt, spool up, TO/GA and you are off.

Then normal stuff follow FD , gear up, flaps on your schedule if you want A/P say after 1000 feet ok ...go follow a few VOR's.

Actually I mentioned doing this during in a recent forum post of mine on T7 freezing problem.

I use FSUIPC and Saitec Throttles and they do not have the throttle problem you mentioned.

And, there are optional items in the PMDG config you may have already set up?

Edit: later on normal fully setup flights you have the option to fail many T7 systems including the FMS(L/R) so a little flying without is good.

Edited by vonmar

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW