Sign in to follow this  

A messy kitchen, 9900K UK edition, 85F but chilly inside

I just checked, Im at 80C max at 5.0 all cores 4.3 cache @ 1.35v.  Might try and get 5.1 or even 5.2 out of her today....!

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

i9 12900k | 32GB DDR5 RAM | 2TB Samsung EVO SSD (1TB x 2 in RAID 0) | MSI RTX 3090 | Reverb G2 | RealSimGear TBM900 Panel with Yoko+ TQ6+ & TM TPR Pedals

7 minutes ago, pegruder said:

I just checked, Im at 80C max at 5.0 all cores 4.3 cache @ 1.35v.  Might try and get 5.1 or even 5.2 out of her today....!

It'll make barely any difference to frame rate you know. Under 2 frames at 30 frames per second? For fun, to see what your CPU can do, fair enough, but no point for any meaningful performance gains. 80C is where most would draw the line for 24/7 use. 

10 hours ago, pegruder said:

Yea I can't find it.  I might see if I can order a spare but worse case it seems itll be fine.

Remember that your PSU is a Corsair "i" series, that can be configured for bother multi-rail and single rail. I recall that they arrive set to multi-rial. If so, be mindful where you plug in your second cable for your CPU. In a multi-rail configuration OCP (over current protection) is set low for each rail. Thus OCP could trip if it's overloaded. Therefore, nip into the Corsair software for your PSU and make sure it's set for single rail. That way you won't have to worry about where you connect it to your PSU. 

Just now, martin-w said:

Remember that your PSU is a Corsair "i" series, that can be configured for bother multi-rail and single rail. I recall that they arrive set to multi-rial. If so, be mindful where you plug in your second cable for your CPU. In a multi-rail configuration OCP (over current protection) is set low for each rail. Thus OCP could trip if it's overloaded. Therefore, nip into the Corsair software for your PSU and make sure it's set for single rail. That way you won't have to worry about where you connect it to your PSU. 

Ahh - I've had this for awhile and completely forgot.  I actually just reinstalled the software for Corsair funny enough.  Checking it now I only see the Individual OCP points that I can set, which per the software is set for 40A each by default?  I dont see any place to reconfigure it although this softwares changed a bit since I last used it I may be over looking it.

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

i9 12900k | 32GB DDR5 RAM | 2TB Samsung EVO SSD (1TB x 2 in RAID 0) | MSI RTX 3090 | Reverb G2 | RealSimGear TBM900 Panel with Yoko+ TQ6+ & TM TPR Pedals

10 minutes ago, pegruder said:

Ahh - I've had this for awhile and completely forgot.  I actually just reinstalled the software for Corsair funny enough.  Checking it now I only see the Individual OCP points that I can set, which per the software is set for 40A each by default?  I dont see any place to reconfigure it although this softwares changed a bit since I last used it I may be over looking it.

It should be there. It's a main feature of the "i" series. 

I mean it might not be an issue left on multi-rial if you take care where you plug it in, but just saying single rail will be easier.

From the Corsair manual...

Over-Current Protection (OCP) The AXi Series feature OCP on the 3.3V, 5V and 12V rails. OCP ensures that the output of the DC voltage rails remains within safe operating limits. The AX1200i can be configured as a single rail or multi-rail OCP solution.

file:///C:/Users/Martin/Downloads/AXi_Series_Manual.pdf
Edited by martin-w

2 hours ago, LRW said:

I know that it won't be a matched set of 4, but close enough maybe?

The model number I ordered is an exact match to my existing ones, so I'm assuming the same.  I was never able to achieve 4400Mhz even with just 16GB (2X8) with any stability, 4000Mhz is the best I could do at it's XMP 2 spec.  I was hoping ASUS would address with a new EFI update, but still on 0602 cap.

Cheers, Rob.

I've finally finished tweaking my 9900K and settled on 5.1Ghz (HT off, AVX offset zero) at 1.28V on the DVM. 5.2Ghz was probably achievable but not worth the voltage bump to say 1.37. I found to my horror that the Vcore that is shown on HW Monitor and CPUZ bears no resemblance to the voltage read with a DVM.The CPU volts were actually 1.4 when CPUZ shows 1.17 so beware.

With respect to the cooling solution the NH-D15 with a single fan easily cools it at around the high 60's to low 70's C. Even at 5.2Ghz the temperatures are in high 70's. The MB CPU fan controller doesn't even set maximum fan speed unless temperature >80C. Heatsink is mounted transversely for airflow across the case rather than vertically as in Rob's photo's.

MB is Msi z390 Ace. Case is Coolermaster H500. All testing with Realbench 2.43.

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs

41 minutes ago, DescendDescend said:

With respect to the cooling solution the NH-D15 with a single fan easily cools it at around the high 60's to low 70's C. Even at 5.2Ghz the temperatures are in high 70's.

Well I have been saying it's an awesome air cooler that can compete with most AIO's, and super quiet, for years. 😀

I found to my horror that the Vcore that is shown on HW Monitor and CPUZ bears no resemblance to the voltage read with a DVM.The CPU volts were actually 1.4 when CPUZ shows 1.17 so beware.

Yep, but it's not a big issue. Pretty sure Intel's max voltage is based on typical BIOS readings rather than direct from MB. 

Heatsink is mounted transversely for airflow across the case rather than vertically as in Rob's photo's.

Absolutely! You want air in from the front, straight through the fin array and then out via the rear case fan. I hadn't noticed Rob had dome that. He is not making the most of the D15. It's advantageous to have the rear case fan in close proximity to the D15's rear fan. Not sure why he has done that. I'm not saying it will make a huge difference, but technically it's not ideal. 

Edited by martin-w

I think he has mounted it vertically because the first fan on the Noctua will foul the memory when mounted horizontally - at least it did for me, hence I only use one fan between the two sets of fins.

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs

11 hours ago, DescendDescend said:

I think he has mounted it vertically because the first fan on the Noctua will foul the memory when mounted horizontally - at least it did for me, hence I only use one fan between the two sets of fins.

Well this is why I have advocated on the forum that one should opt for the NH-D15S!

The "S" variant is the high RAM compatibility variant. It has only one fan and is offset to allow more room from the uppermost PCIe slot. 

One fan less makes barely any difference to cooling, it's a mere two degrees. So yes, you have lost barely anything in terms of cooling by removing one fan,  that was a wise move. Something else you could have done is offset the fan slightly. 

Rob could have removed the fan also, if indeed  it was his issue. It may be that it's still an issue for him though if he has super high heat-sinks on his RAM. 

But as I have said many times, better to go for the D15S because its only two degrees warmer and is better in terms of compatibility. Especially when you can fit an extra fan to the "S" variant anyway if you so choose. 

Edited by martin-w

I agree regarding the S but I had the cooler before the S version came out.

By way of an update, I've settled on 5.225Ghz (HT off, no AVX offset) now. The Msi Dragon Centre has a hardware monitoring tool that more or less reflects the actual Vcore on the DVM (under reads by 0.02 volts). Vcore is now 1.27 to1.3 volts max. temperature up to mid 70's C. i could probably tweak the fan curve to improve that at the expense of slightly more noise.

'Idle' volts around 0.7 to 0.9.

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs

1 hour ago, DescendDescend said:

By way of an update, I've settled on 5.225Ghz (HT off, no AVX offset) now. The Msi Dragon Centre has a hardware monitoring tool that more or less reflects the actual Vcore on the DVM (under reads by 0.02 volts). Vcore is now 1.27 to1.3 volts max. temperature up to mid 70's C. i could probably tweak the fan curve to improve that at the expense of slightly more noise.

Great result. When the new version of the D15 arrives (Noctua testing it now) air cooling will be even better. To be honest, seems to me that AIO's have stagnated. Even the 360 rad AIO's don't seem to be cooling that much better than 240/280 rad variants. And all of them louder than the Noctua at max output. 

Edited by martin-w

On 12/20/2018 at 10:12 AM, martin-w said:

Have you updated the BIOS to the latest? It can make a big difference you know. This is a new platform, so there will be bugs to address. I've come across this with so many builds over the years. You may find with a few BIOS updates that you are stable at a lower voltage.

Voltage is never accurate in the BIOS. You need a multi-meter attached to the board to read voltage accurately. My 8700K in a Maximus X Code, required 1.34 or so for 5 GHz on all cores, 1.4 for 5.2 GHz with HT off. 

Were there any other parameters you may have set that would affect the voltage. 

You are also comparing an 8700K in a board it was originally designed for, a Z370, with an 8700K in a Z390 that is a "compatible" board. Two different chipsets involved, two different platforms. So variables at play. 

I was never able to get more than 4.9 0 AVX offset with my 8700k with the new z390 board. The z370 board was able to do 5ghz with avx offset of 1 at same voltage. Latest bios on both. The z370 board runs my 9900k at 5.1ghz avx offset 1 all day in prime 95 with mid 90's temps and gaming at high 70's low 80s. All in all for me the z390 board is not living up to any kind of performance edge compared to the z370 board. I also had all manner of lockups and instability with the z390 that I think I finally tracked down to a defective Microcenter Inland SSD that was purchased new at the same time. Since I imaged that drive to another spare SSD I have had no issues with random lockups etc. I was this close to yanking the board and returning it because what are the chances of a brand new SSD being defective out of the box...

Edited by J0nx

Asus X570 TUF WIFI | 5800X3D | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | MSI RTX 4090 | EVGA 1300W | ASUS GT501 TUF | Samsung C49RG90 49" | Oculus Quest 2 | Windows 11 Professional X64