Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

So I delided my 8700k....

12 hours ago, HighTowers said:

Delidding my 6700k was the best hardware mod I've done. Used the debauer tool and it was super easy. Then liquid metal , and then kryonaut for the paste on the IHS.  With my Corsair H115i I have improvements of 18-20 deg over previous using the same stress tests. Although I didnt get a great OC CPU, its solid at 4.6 @1.32V.  

But will need to make the jump to a 9700k soon. Its had its time. If I had an 8700k I would do it again probably. 

Yep, I used the delid die mate 2 for my 8700K. Nice tool. So easy. Also used conductonaut and the kryonuat as well, same as you. My old 6700K was a bit dodgy as well, also had trouble above 4.6 GHz, not delidded though. 

I have the 8700K delidded and runs as high as 5.2 GHz. So not in the market for a new CPU. If I was though, don't think I would opt for the 9 series. The 9 series has an Intel TDP of 95 watts. And at that 95 watts the performance in single threaded apps is not much better than 8700K or 8086K. Of course, given the limited performance, not surprising that Intel don't mind board manufacturers busting that limit, but when they do temps are high.

Asus boards are at the Intel 95 watt TDP at stock and you have to elect to go beyond. Other manufacturers ignore the Intel TDP at stock. Thus the confusion in testing when the 9 series was first released. I think I would probably opt for the 8086K if I were in the market. 

2 hours ago, martin-w said:

Yep, I used the delid die mate 2 for my 8700K. Nice tool. So easy. Also used conductonaut and the kryonuat as well, same as you. My old 6700K was a bit dodgy as well, also had trouble above 4.6 GHz, not delidded though. 

I have the 8700K delidded and runs as high as 5.2 GHz. So not in the market for a new CPU. If I was though, don't think I would opt for the 9 series. The 9 series has an Intel TDP of 95 watts. And at that 95 watts the performance in single threaded apps is not much better than 8700K or 8086K. Of course, given the limited performance, not surprising that Intel don't mind board manufacturers busting that limit, but when they do temps are high.

Asus boards are at the Intel 95 watt TDP at stock and you have to elect to go beyond. Other manufacturers ignore the Intel TDP at stock. Thus the confusion in testing when the 9 series was first released. I think I would probably opt for the 8086K if I were in the market. 

Do we know if there's any benefit to using the conductonaut on the HIS top?

16 minutes ago, Dougal said:

Not a good idea to use conductonaut (liquid metal) between the IHS and the cooler.  Theres compatibility issues with the metals reacting like aluminum, and eating away at it. And because its liquid metal and highly conductive, just a tiny drop that spills or somehow gets on your board would be enough to fry it with a short.  

Safer to use a good paste like Kyronaut or the many others available. 

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

1 hour ago, Dougal said:

You can as long as it's not an Aluminium cold plate on the cooler. Conductonaut damages aluminium. Is it worth it? Might be a bit cooler, but it's electrically conductive so care must be taken not to squirt it where it shouldn't be squirted. 🙂 I chose not to. 

Edited by martin-w

53 minutes ago, martin-w said:

You can as long as it's not an Aluminium cold plate on the cooler. Conductonaut damages aluminium. Is it worth it? Might be a bit cooler, but it's electrically conductive so care must be taken not to squirt it where it shouldn't be squirted. 🙂 I chose not to. 

Since I like trying new things, I chose this, and it seems to work fine: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CK9SHZG

91bCI29KsnL._SL1500_.jpg

• Like 2

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Ha... the thermal pad from Innovation Cooling! 😀 I like your style brother! Always test conventional wisdom, think outside of the box, try something new, explore new boundaries and new adventures! 

Hows the pad cooling brother?

11 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Ha... the thermal pad from Innovation Cooling! 😀 I like your style brother! Always test conventional wisdom, think outside of the box, try something new, explore new boundaries and new adventures! 

Hows the pad cooling brother?

It actually works fine. I can't see any discernible difference than if I used paste, and it removes the guesswork about thinness/thickness of a paste application

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

10 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

It actually works fine. I can't see any discernible difference than if I used paste, and it removes the guesswork about thinness/thickness of a paste application

Well there's barely any difference between the top conventional TIM's anyway. I used to religiously use IC Diamond paste, always liked the company, nice to know they have created a great product with the pad.

Did you have any issue installing it? I saw a review were the guy said it slid out of position when he installed it. 

Same applies to paste installation too, not much difference in the techniques. Gamers Nexus tested all kinds of crazy paste application methods, including slathering it on in huge gobs. Again... barely any difference in temp. 

Enthusiasts get all fired up about this stuff but never test it and find out for sure. 

Edited by martin-w

5 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Did you have any issue installing it? I saw a review were the guy said it slid out of position when he installed it

You just have to be careful when reinstalling the heatsink so that it doesn't move the pad out of position, as the pad itself is a bit "slickery" My solution was to buy the bigger pad so that even a slight bit of movement would still leave things completely covered.

And I like the reusability.

This is not my picture, but you get the idea;

rpTgtmy.jpg

Devons rig

Let us know how it does for temp Scott. 

If you can test against conventional paste that would be very useful. Don't worry if it's too much hassle.

7 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

You just have to be careful when reinstalling the heatsink so that it doesn't move the pad out of position, as the pad itself is a bit "slickery" My solution was to buy the bigger pad so that even a slight bit of movement would still leave things completely covered.

And I like the reusability.

This is not my picture, but you get the idea;

rpTgtmy.jpg

I guess to make installation easier, it might be helpful to use a tiny blob of conventional paste at the corners to keep it from sliding around. Just thought. 

1 minute ago, martin-w said:

Let us know how it does for temp Scott. 

If you can test against conventional paste that would be very useful. Don't worry if it's too much hassle.

I also tested with aida64 and the dreaded cpu killer instruction set and the temps never batted an eye, so I feel pretty good about the conductivity of the pad.

Devons rig

1 minute ago, martin-w said:

I guess to make installation easier, it might be helpful to use a tiny blob of conventional paste at the corners to keep it from sliding around. Just thought. 

I thought about it....... but it kinda felt like cursing in a church... inappropriate.

And yes, I guess I am strange, that way. 😋

Devons rig