Sign in to follow this  
davowehbe

FS9 Windows 10

Hello everyone,

I need your help/advice, please 🙂

I am using FS9 on a laptop with Windows XP for more than 10 years already.

I decided to buy a new one. I bought the following one:

ASUS VivoBook 15 F542UF-DM276T
i5 8250 4-core
HDD 1TB
Graphics: Nvidia MX130
RAM: 8GB

Windows 10 Home

I have a copy of the whole FS9 folder (with all its files: sceneries, etc...) on an external hard drive.

It is a copy of the folder of FS9 exactly as they were installed in my old laptop (running on Windows XP)

C:\Games\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9

I have the following questions:

- If I will copy the whole folder to my new laptop (Windows 10 Home) as it is, will it run properly?

- If not, what should I do in order to run it properly?

I would like to avoid a situation where I will have to install from the scratch FS9 and install all my sceneries, updates, aircrafts, etc....It took me more than 10 years updating all my favorite aircrafts and sceneries, etc...and I don't want to start from the scratch everything 😞

I would highly appreciate all your help and advices

Please reply if possible priv to my email adress: davo@wp.pl

David

Edited by davowehbe
Update - email adress

You need to install FS9 and Update etc. first then replace the newly created Flight Simulator 9 folder with your laptop folder.

Ian

Ian Cameron

7 minutes ago, bowingic said:

You need to install FS9 and Update etc. first then replace the newly created Flight Simulator 9 folder with your laptop folder.

Ian

Thank you Ian for your prompt reply 🙂

Please correct me if I am wrong...

- I need to install the original FS9 first and then replace the whole folder, right?? and then it will work properly, without the need to install all the sceneries, aircrafts, etc...??

- What do you mean by "install FS9 and update"? Do you mean update of FS9?

- From where I could install FS9 easily (as I don't have the installation CD for it) ?

Highly appreciating your help :)

David

I assumed you had original installation CD's so I don't think you can do it without them.

If you did have them, then yes, once installed you can just replace the whole FS9 folder and you wouldn't have to install all your sceneries, aircraft etc.

You probably wouldn't need to install the FS9 update on the initial install but I suggested this just to be sure.

Your best option would be to buy a set of CD''s on Ebay or somewhere, do the fresh install on your Win10 pc and then replace the whole FS9 folder. I haven't used Win10 so I'm not sure if there are any issues running FS9 with it. If you google around you should be able to determine that.

Cheers

Ian

Ian Cameron

As per my reply to you on Flightsim...

Just Copy & Paste as below!

David, yes you can just copy & paste! with a few provisions...
Firstly you ARE probably are running a 64bit version of Windows 10 Home, as the laptop has 8GB RAM.
Any competent vendor will not supply a 32bit operating system with that amount of RAM.

Like you, I have a copy of my FS2004 on a portable hard drive, & have installed that copy on about 20-30 PC's at my Virtual Club, as well as 6 different versions of FS2004 on my own laptop (similar to yours).

Step 1. Download & run Teracopy from https://www.codesector.com/teracopy
This is the fastest file copy utilty around.

Step 2. Copy & paste your complete Flight Simulator 9 folder from your portable drive into C:\

Step 3. Open up the C:\Flight Simulator 9 folder, right-click the FS9.exe & 'Send to Desktop'.

Step 4. Double-click the FS9 on the desktop to run the sim.

Step 5. It might/probably will not work.

Step 6. Right-click the desktop icon, select the Compatibility tab, Click Compatibility Mode & select Windows XP (Service Pack2) from the pull down menu, & tick 'Run this program as an administrator' Then Apply & OK.

Step 7. Run the program again.... It will/should work!

Step 8. Go to https://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library & download the Registry Repair Tool, & run it. This tells the Registry where FS2004 has been installed.

Step 9. If the Scenery.cfg had not been copied over from the drive, you might have to add your scenery from the Scenery library.

10. You probably have to reinstall all payware add-ons.

Phew, 10 steps, but it's easier to do than to explain.

I've found re-installing the sim from it's disks is actually a pain, & the above way works.

You can have multiple installs just by renaming the sim folder & the exe file, after copying BUT before running.

Hope this helps 🙂

Regards,
Robin

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

18 hours ago, Wobbie said:

As per my reply to you on Flightsim...

Just Copy & Paste as below!

David, yes you can just copy & paste! with a few provisions...
Firstly you ARE probably are running a 64bit version of Windows 10 Home, as the laptop has 8GB RAM.
Any competent vendor will not supply a 32bit operating system with that amount of RAM.

Like you, I have a copy of my FS2004 on a portable hard drive, & have installed that copy on about 20-30 PC's at my Virtual Club, as well as 6 different versions of FS2004 on my own laptop (similar to yours).

Step 1. Download & run Teracopy from https://www.codesector.com/teracopy
This is the fastest file copy utilty around.

Step 2. Copy & paste your complete Flight Simulator 9 folder from your portable drive into C:\

Step 3. Open up the C:\Flight Simulator 9 folder, right-click the FS9.exe & 'Send to Desktop'.

Step 4. Double-click the FS9 on the desktop to run the sim.

Step 5. It might/probably will not work.

Step 6. Right-click the desktop icon, select the Compatibility tab, Click Compatibility Mode & select Windows XP (Service Pack2) from the pull down menu, & tick 'Run this program as an administrator' Then Apply & OK.

Step 7. Run the program again.... It will/should work!

Step 8. Go to https://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library & download the Registry Repair Tool, & run it. This tells the Registry where FS2004 has been installed.

Step 9. If the Scenery.cfg had not been copied over from the drive, you might have to add your scenery from the Scenery library.

10. You probably have to reinstall all payware add-ons.

Phew, 10 steps, but it's easier to do than to explain.

I've found re-installing the sim from it's disks is actually a pain, & the above way works.

You can have multiple installs just by renaming the sim folder & the exe file, after copying BUT before running.

Hope this helps 🙂

Regards,
Robin

Thank you Robin a lot.

Highly appreciated :). I will try that in the next few days once I will have some free time.

Best regards,

David

On 11/15/2018 at 12:59 AM, bowingic said:

I assumed you had original installation CD's so I don't think you can do it without them.

If you did have them, then yes, once installed you can just replace the whole FS9 folder and you wouldn't have to install all your sceneries, aircraft etc.

You probably wouldn't need to install the FS9 update on the initial install but I suggested this just to be sure.

Your best option would be to buy a set of CD''s on Ebay or somewhere, do the fresh install on your Win10 pc and then replace the whole FS9 folder. I haven't used Win10 so I'm not sure if there are any issues running FS9 with it. If you google around you should be able to determine that.

Cheers

Ian

Thank you Ian for your answer 🙂

I really appreciate it.

Best regards

David

Don’t forget to download and use the no cd patch for FS2004. It won’t work without it in Windows 10. We can say that now right? 

Drat! forgot the No-CD patch, but then I tend to take it for granted in all my installs.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

Hello,
I have used FS2004 on my old laptop (windows XP) for the previous 12 years
Few months ago I bought finally a new one and I want to install flight simulator

Parameters of new laptop:
ASUS VivoBook 15 F542UF-DM276T
Intel Core i5-8250 U 4-core 1.60 GHz (1.80 GHz)
8GB RAM
HDD 1TB
Graphics: Nvidia MX130
Windows 10 Home 64-bit

My question is the following:
Which simulator can I install without any problems? FSX? and which version?and from where can i download it? (I read on net that there are some problems with compatibility)
And if not FSX , which flight simullor do you recommend for my new laptop to work propperly without any issues?
I am planning also to install later updates and sceneries and additional aircrafts and traffic... as I had it in my previous laptop.

Please advise. My email adress: davo@wp.pl
Highly appreciating your help
Best regards
David

David, you can copy & paste your old FS2004 install from your old laptop to your new one.

I saw your posting on flightsim.com & have mailed you.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

I've used FS9 in two different laptops (one of them also an ASUS VivoBook), with no issue at all. In all cases, I decided to start from scratch, but there was nothing preventing me from copying and pasting. There are three things that you absolutely need for Win10:

1) As several people said, use the No-CD patch.
2) Full screen mode in FS9+Win10 is not as reliable as in XP or even 7, specially if you switch tasks frequently. I suggest to use windowed mode. If you need to use the whole display, use Borderless Gaming or something similar.
3) You may need to disable TurboBoost. Sounds counterintuitive, but, as soon as you exceed power or temperature limits, your CPU will throttle to 400 MHz and your FPS will suffer like you've never seen.

For #3, if you're brave enough, you can limit TurboBoost to a lower clock rate (somewhere around 2,5-3,0 GHz, instead of the default 3,4 GHz). The idea is that the CPU can sustain a continuous heavy load, instead of 3,4 GHz spikes and then 1,6 GHz long valleys. This is advanced stuff. You'll need ThrottleStop for this. I'm short on time, so I can't further explain, but you can google this.

Edited by Luis Hernandez

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

Hey Luis,

Thank you for your prompt reply. Highly appreciated.

1. What do you mean by a no-CD patch? From where and how should I install the new FS2004?

2. I understand that Borderless Gaming is needed so that it will work properly

3. How to disable TurboBoost?

and one more question..

If i understood you well, you recommend to stick to FS2004 rather than changing to FSX or other (on my new laptop) ?

Best regards

David