Sign in to follow this  
scottb613

Generic Repaint Request Thread - Take a Number.

Hi Scott,

Hah - Pabst is getting a lot of attention around here this week - good luck with your studies !!!

Regards,

Scott

• Like 1

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Hi Scott,

if I may interfere. Please DON'T use gradients. They are an easy fix on a static standing plane but once you turn it will look off.

The best solution is to grab a shade which is slightly darker than the base color and use that shade as such.
Then in the specular you take a shade from the highlight (not the white, otherwise it will look cartoonish) and paint the entire silver area like that.
Then you increase the Alpha Channel (darken it) of the specular map until you like the effect. (It will spread with darker spec alpha)

Important: Should the plane be too dark, lighten the normal base color, should it be too bright, darken the specular color (if the effect is too bright) or the normal base color (if the entire plane is too bright).

Here is a guess of colors I'd start with:
imageproxyxqicr.jpg

Edited by Flieger-Marius
  • Like 1

Cheers
Marius

spacer.png

19 minutes ago, Flieger-Marius said:

Hi Scott,

if I may interfere. Please DON'T use gradients. They are an easy fix on a static standing plane but once you turn it will look off.

Hi Marius,

Hah - while I’ve been painting for nearly two decades - my door is always wide open to new ideas and techniques - your suggestion is MOST WELCOME and I’m eager to give this a try - thanks so much - I’ll follow up with you when I try it...

I’m assuming when we get a handle on PBR materials - it will make metal look much better...

Still thoroughly enjoying your paints for the A2A Bonanza... Thanks for sharing those as well...

Regards,

Scott

Thanks again!
I also appreciate your input over the various threads we've talked in. I find it quite rare to find somebody with the experience that allows for in depth conversation, while not reacting offended under criticism or even suggestions. Naturally, I can't deny that I'm always acting cool and uncomplicated, but I find pleasure in the experimental features, which means a lot of getting asked and asking around that I try to always do elaborately. Suggesting things like the above goes ignored or is taken as personal attack with a lot of painters. Ron and you seem to be part of the pleasant exceptions.
Ron knows very well how it feels when a suggestion is taken as personal attack. I'll just say "orange-looking factory red" 😂

2 hours ago, scottb613 said:

I'm assuming when we get a handle on PBR materials - it will make metal look much better...

Well I'm really hoping that's the case. From what I've heard I have a real fear they'll take the power out of the specular maps, though.
How big of a setback that would be for the repainting world can be seen when you compare single Carenado aircraft between P3D and XP11.
That plasticy look (they use PBR) could be what's coming in the worst case.

Cheers
Marius

spacer.png

Hi Marius,

Hah - yeah - just don't ask Ron to change a registration number - watch out - LOL...

Same here - sir !

Hi Folks,

OK - with tips from both Steve and Marius - I kind of combined a bit of all three techniques trying to be a subtle as possible with the gradient - now I'm finally getting some results I'm happy with... The pix probably won't do it justice but it looks pretty good in P3Dv4... That's a "grey 65" on the Alpha for the specular map...

14tskd1.png

Regards,

Scott

Edited by scottb613
  • Like 1

Hi Folks,

She's starting to look like the original - need to work the engine nacelles, skew the registration numbers, a bit of work left on the belly, and a bunch of tweaking...

nnjv36.png

Regards,
Scott

Edited by scottb613
  • Like 1

Hi Folks,

Gotta admit - she is pretty photogenic...

Who would have "thunk" - lol - brown and silver does look pretty good together...

mrec1k.jpg

Regards,

Scott

• Like 3

Awesome Scott👍

MSFS - XPlane11 & 12- P3D4 - Windows 10 64 bit - Corsair One i140 - i7 9700K 3.6Ghz - nVidia GeForce TRX 2080 

Patrick Mussotte

Hi Folks,

Thanks here as well - just WIP shots - all untouched - it looks good in the different light thanks to ENVSHADE - pretty happy with this no frills inexpensive shader that you don't have to mess with...

Regards,
Scott 

Hi Folks,

Just another one I may consider - adding it to the list as a reminder or suggestion...

23407377749_4b2924241c_b.jpg

Regards,
Scott

Scott, check out flysimware FB page, Michael Mainiero looks like he has already done this livery, although I haven't seen it posted yet?
Image may contain: airplane

Edited by MartinRex007

29 minutes ago, MartinRex007 said:
Scott, check out flysimware FB page, Michael Mainiero looks like he has already done this livery, although I haven't seen it posted yet?

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the heads up - looks really good...

:wink:

Regards,
Scott

On 12/2/2018 at 8:27 AM, scottb613 said:

Hi Folks,

Gotta admit - she is pretty photogenic...

Who would have "thunk" - lol - brown and silver does look pretty good together...

mrec1k.jpg

Regards,

Scott

WOW, this looks great! Is it available yet?

Cheers,

Mark