ESzczesniak

Dual Channel DDR4 3200 MHz Reporting as 1600 MHz - Correct?

Recommended Posts

I'm in the tweaking and installation phases of my new computer build.  I bought as advertised Corsair RAM, 32 GB, DDR4 3200 MHz C16 RAM.  Through Corsair Link, CPU-Z, and Asus Bios, it was only reporting 1067 MHz RAM speed.  I changed the bios to XMP I on my Asus Maximus XI Hero and now it shows up in Corsair Link and CPU-Z as 1600 MHz.  Is this correct given the dual channel (2 x 1600 MHz = 3200 MHz), or do I still have some work to do?  I am a novice overclocker, so while I have a working knowledge of the bios, I would overlook me committing an error somewhere. 

I'm particularly curious, as I am getting some stutters in P3Dv4.  They slow down after 30-60 seconds, but still wasn't expecting that, as I've never really had problems before. 

Edited by ESzczesniak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

23 minutes ago, ESzczesniak said:

Is this correct given the dual channel (2 x 1600 MHz = 3200 MHz),

I believe that is correct. I am not sure why it is that way other than 3200 sounds better than 1600 but one of the techies will have a better and more correct reason. That is how mine reports so I think you are fine there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're good.  "DDR" means double data rate--the memory moves data twice for each clock pulse, once on the leading/rising edge of the clock signal, and again on the trailing/falling edge.  The frequency reported in CPU-Z is the clock frequency, which in this case is/should be half the data transfer rate.

Regards

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you! I had half suspected it was because of the "double" in the name, but wasn't sure. 

Additionally for anyone following, I did seem to solve the stutters by installing the latest FSUIPC (had 5.123c as an old file on my system). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

32 GB  Wow !  

8 hours ago, w6kd said:

You're good.  "DDR" means double data rate--the memory moves data twice for each clock pulse, once on the leading/rising edge of the clock signal, and again on the trailing/falling edge.  The frequency reported in CPU-Z is the clock frequency, which in this case is/should be half the data transfer rate.

Regards

 

 HI Bob, I notice you have  a "higher-end" motherboard than I have. Have you tried overclocking your cpu over 5.3Ghz... or is 5.3Ghz the highest your's can go?   That's as far as mine has overclocked but but just wondering if that Mobo makes a difference. I have an MSI Z390 Edge. (I Love MSI boards- darn solid) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, joemiller said:

 HI Bob, I notice you have  a "higher-end" motherboard than I have. Have you tried overclocking your cpu over 5.3Ghz... or is 5.3Ghz the highest your's can go?   That's as far as mine has overclocked but but just wondering if that Mobo makes a difference. I have an MSI Z390 Edge. (I Love MSI boards- darn solid) 

5.3 is as high as I am willing to go w/r/t temps on my un-delidded chip.  I suspect, based on the good low voltage numbers I'm seeing, that 5.4 stable is a likely possibility without crazy voltages if I delidded the CPU, but I decided it wouldn't be worth the hassle just for another 1.9% bump in CPU speed.

The performance I'm getting from this build is answering the mail across the board...it's right where I've been aiming over the last three builds, so this time longevity of the components is a bigger consideration, too, as I just might keep this one around as my main sim platform for longer than the usual 2-year rebuild cycle.

Regards

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now